Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg NAUTILUS vs KRONOS. Differences and similarities

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Nautilus
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
GregC
Platinum Member


Joined: 15 May 2002
Posts: 9256
Location: Discovery Bay (San Francisco Bay Area)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:16 pm    Post subject: Korg NAUTILUS vs KRONOS. Differences and similarities Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nkw0nladyLI&t=2210s

Korg NAUTILUS vs KRONOS. Differences and similarities

- An objective view of what's been added, what's been removed, what are the trade-offs, etc
-Tutorial exploring the new arp and drum sequencers
_________________
Kronos 88. MODX8
Achieve your musical dreams Smile
https://soundcloud.com/user-898236994
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sharp
Site Admin


Joined: 02 Jan 2002
Posts: 17977
Location: Ireland

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me this keyboard is a KORG M50 replacement. A really good replacement at that too. Not targeted at people like me, or anyone who already has a KRONOS.

In short, it's a baby KRONOS on a budget.

Regards
Sharp.
_________________
KORG Store - Irish Acts Irish Acts Online Store


Last edited by Sharp on Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
GregC
Platinum Member


Joined: 15 May 2002
Posts: 9256
Location: Discovery Bay (San Francisco Bay Area)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, thats a fair and brief assessment.

the Nautilus owner base should increase in 2021, as it arrives in the retail channel , gets distributed starting in February.

And IMO, Kronos will go EOL, while that is not abundantly clear, it will happen when Korg decides.

That would leave Nautilus by itself as the factory new w/s.

For those reasons, I thought it was proactive and organized, to have a Nautilus forum. Plus keep all the beginnings posts, Nautilus videos in one place for faster access.
_________________
Kronos 88. MODX8
Achieve your musical dreams Smile
https://soundcloud.com/user-898236994
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Maxfpt



Joined: 13 Dec 2014
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a Kronos user from 8 years, and there are a couple of differences that I've noticed:

1) I mainly use Kronos live, usually switching sounds in the same combi by Karma scenes and/or using knobs, slides, vector, aftertouch, etc. in realtime: this is not possible with Nautilus.

2) Increasing the sounds quality/number, more ram should be occupied by factory sounds and less for user samples / EXs.

It's not clear to me the meaning of this product, especially when we all (logically) asked for e.g. an updated 64bit system, more ram available and a bigger storage for sounds......nothing so expensive or innovative, but "evolution" only, competitors are still far away, but not so much as 10 years ago.

It seems that, while competitors are doing steps forward to compete with Kronos concept, Korg has done a step rearward with Naultilus.

What we've to expect for the future? a new expensive flagship SuperKronos or nothing else?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GregC
Platinum Member


Joined: 15 May 2002
Posts: 9256
Location: Discovery Bay (San Francisco Bay Area)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maxfpt wrote:
I'm a Kronos user from 8 years, and there are a couple of differences that I've noticed:

1) I mainly use Kronos live, usually switching sounds in the same combi by Karma scenes and/or using knobs, slides, vector, aftertouch, etc. in realtime: this is not possible with Nautilus.

2) Increasing the sounds quality/number, more ram should be occupied by factory sounds and less for user samples / EXs.

It's not clear to me the meaning of this product, especially when we all (logically) asked for e.g. an updated 64bit system, more ram available and a bigger storage for sounds......nothing so expensive or innovative, but "evolution" only, competitors are still far away, but not so much as 10 years ago.



yes, its very clear, Kronos owners look at Nautilus and say " huh ? what ? why ?"

which is understandable since Nautilus is not pointed at Kronos owners where owners completely rely on many of Kronos features.

Nautilus is $600 less, too. Thats an indication it lacks features Kronos has.

Bottom line, Nautilus does not seem to be the answer to what almost all Kronos owners want from Korg.

The problem I have with Korg is captain obvious, they have been ignoring the Kronos community for +3 years. But that is a totallty separate topic from Nautilus.
_________________
Kronos 88. MODX8
Achieve your musical dreams Smile
https://soundcloud.com/user-898236994
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Geoff Flynn
Full Member


Joined: 04 Jun 2016
Posts: 135

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:


The problem I have with Korg is captain obvious, they have been ignoring the Kronos community for +3 years. But that is a totallty separate topic from Nautilus.


You shouldn't be surprised though GregC.....given that Korg abandoned the future proofed "Open Architecture" Oasys despite its hefty price tag.

Even though Korg generally make my favourite keyboards, I said I would never buy a new Korg again. I have a Kronos 2 which I bought second hand.

Cheers.
_________________
Korg Oasys 76, Korg Kronos 2 61, Korg Wavestation EX, 2 x Roland A800 Pro, Roland VP770, Yamaha SY77, MacBook Pro Retina 15-inch Core i7 2.7GHz 16GB / 768GB, MainStage 3, Cymatic uTrack24, Samson S Patch, U-PHORIA UMC404HD Audio interface, Yamaha MG16XU mixer
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Narioso
Full Member


Joined: 15 Oct 2015
Posts: 249
Location: Sweden

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geoff Flynn wrote:
....given that Korg abandoned the future proofed "Open Architecture" Oasys despite its hefty price tag.



Looking at Oasys recently due to nice tilt screen wiki said about 3000 sold.
I hardly think that is much.

Does anybody have sales numbers for Kronos?
I have not found any searching.
_________________
External gear: Wavestate, Prologue-8, Hammond XK-3C, Kawai MP7SE piano, Nord Lead 2X, Roland D-05, Deepmind, Neutron
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
voip
Platinum Member


Joined: 27 Nov 2014
Posts: 2653

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kronos highest serial numbers and therefore deduced numbers manufactured were dealt with here:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=116904

Total Kronos sales are probably in the 40k-50k range. Not as many as the iconic M1 which, in its day, was relatively more expensive than the Kronos.


.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Narioso
Full Member


Joined: 15 Oct 2015
Posts: 249
Location: Sweden

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a neat way of doing it, thanks.

Sounds like worth the trouble for Korg then. Smile
_________________
External gear: Wavestate, Prologue-8, Hammond XK-3C, Kawai MP7SE piano, Nord Lead 2X, Roland D-05, Deepmind, Neutron
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GregC
Platinum Member


Joined: 15 May 2002
Posts: 9256
Location: Discovery Bay (San Francisco Bay Area)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geoff Flynn wrote:
GregC wrote:


The problem I have with Korg is captain obvious, they have been ignoring the Kronos community for +3 years. But that is a totallty separate topic from Nautilus.


You shouldn't be surprised though GregC.....given that Korg abandoned the future proofed "Open Architecture" Oasys despite its hefty price tag.

Even though Korg generally make my favourite keyboards, I said I would never buy a new Korg again. I have a Kronos 2 which I bought second hand.

Cheers.


hi Geoff, I am a realist.

I/we attempted to put formal pressure on Korg inc to not only 'communicate ' but to tangilbly do the most obvious enhancements to Kronos.

It was a worthwhile experiment IMO. It was also an object lesson for potential Kronos owners.
_________________
Kronos 88. MODX8
Achieve your musical dreams Smile
https://soundcloud.com/user-898236994
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Geoff Flynn
Full Member


Joined: 04 Jun 2016
Posts: 135

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Geoff Flynn wrote:
GregC wrote:


The problem I have with Korg is captain obvious, they have been ignoring the Kronos community for +3 years. But that is a totallty separate topic from Nautilus.


You shouldn't be surprised though GregC.....given that Korg abandoned the future proofed "Open Architecture" Oasys despite its hefty price tag.

Even though Korg generally make my favourite keyboards, I said I would never buy a new Korg again. I have a Kronos 2 which I bought second hand.

Cheers.


hi Geoff, I am a realist.

I/we attempted to put formal pressure on Korg inc to not only 'communicate ' but to tangilbly do the most obvious enhancements to Kronos.

It was a worthwhile experiment IMO. It was also an object lesson for potential Kronos owners.


Lots of us Oasys owners tried the same way back when. Korg had the "nerve" to bring out updates for the M3 sequencer (piano roll) but declined to do the same for the flagship. We did manage to get some additional sound packs (which was something if you hadn't already purchased them) but they basically ignored our pleas for upgrades which is rather sad. I still love the Oasys btw, but the way Korg ditched all interest after promising future proofing etc etc left a bitter taste. Once bitten twice shy.....
_________________
Korg Oasys 76, Korg Kronos 2 61, Korg Wavestation EX, 2 x Roland A800 Pro, Roland VP770, Yamaha SY77, MacBook Pro Retina 15-inch Core i7 2.7GHz 16GB / 768GB, MainStage 3, Cymatic uTrack24, Samson S Patch, U-PHORIA UMC404HD Audio interface, Yamaha MG16XU mixer
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GregC
Platinum Member


Joined: 15 May 2002
Posts: 9256
Location: Discovery Bay (San Francisco Bay Area)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geoff Flynn wrote:
[quo.


Lots of us Oasys owners tried the same way back when. Korg had the "nerve" to bring out updates for the M3 sequencer (piano roll) but declined to do the same for the flagship. We did manage to get some additional sound packs (which was something if you hadn't already purchased them) but they basically ignored our pleas for upgrades which is rather sad. I still love the Oasys btw, but the way Korg ditched all interest after promising future proofing etc etc left a bitter taste. Once bitten twice shy.....[/quote]

I agree, what Korg Inc did to Oasys owners was outragous.

I compartmentalize[differentiate] ' keyboard love ' from how a co like Korg [ or Roland, etc] treats a customer, esp with a + $3000 keyboard.

I think we have seen 3 substantial changes in Korgs management and their 'priorities ' .

Most keyboard customers do not scrutinize the company over decades but I make an attempt to based on their decisions on products.
_________________
Kronos 88. MODX8
Achieve your musical dreams Smile
https://soundcloud.com/user-898236994
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Geoff Flynn
Full Member


Joined: 04 Jun 2016
Posts: 135

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

I agree, what Korg Inc did to Oasys owners was outragous.

I compartmentalize[differentiate] ' keyboard love ' from how a co like Korg [ or Roland, etc] treats a customer, esp with a + $3000 keyboard.

I think we have seen 3 substantial changes in Korgs management and their 'priorities ' .

Most keyboard customers do not scrutinize the company over decades but I make an attempt to based on their decisions on products.


I have a very long memory and remain unhappy with the way I (as an Oasys owner) was treated. As I said I will never buy new from Korg again and I'm happy to stick with that. Judging by the disquiet amongst Kronos owners regarding updates it sounds like I'm not wrong.

TBH most of my purchases are for software these days anyway so it is highly unlikely that I will be making a major keyboard purchase soon no matter what company we're talking about. Cheers.
_________________
Korg Oasys 76, Korg Kronos 2 61, Korg Wavestation EX, 2 x Roland A800 Pro, Roland VP770, Yamaha SY77, MacBook Pro Retina 15-inch Core i7 2.7GHz 16GB / 768GB, MainStage 3, Cymatic uTrack24, Samson S Patch, U-PHORIA UMC404HD Audio interface, Yamaha MG16XU mixer
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Nautilus All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group