Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

genesis sounds

View previous topic :: View next topic  
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum.

If the sound in question is that found at the beginning of the track, then there is a strong basic similarity to the Poly Moog Strings sound found in the Gary Numan "Cars" song. There is a tutorial for recreating that sound for the Korg Kross here:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=123225

It should be possible to take the essence of that tutorial and use it to create the sound on the Korg Krome.

voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, that sound ~1 minute is quite different from the first. It appears to have been played on a Korg Oasys (in Combi mode) during When in Rome 2007, but the sound could have come from elsewhere, as Banks used the Oasys as a master keyboard.

Tommyboy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:48 am    Post subject: ahhh...genesis.. Reply with quote

I've always loved Genesis synth sounds, yet I never heard this song before.
I don't have my headphones on, but from what I can hear, it sounds like a ooh or ahh pad with sort of a bottle/breathiness. Reminds me of the Tears for Fears sound. I think I have something like that on my Triton. IF I get time this weekend, I'll see what I can come up with. If it sounds right, I'll let you know how to create it on the Krome.
Tommyboy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:53 am    Post subject: genesis sounds Reply with quote

Well, I know Tony Banks played the sound on an E-Mu Emulator, so it's a sampled sound. It's really a tweaked sound that Tears for Fears used. The breathy choir sound with a slow attack and almost a phaser like effect.
I know the Triton has a sound on it very similar so I tried to recreate it but it's really tricky. The Triton's filters are not very good having only a basic low pass and a low/high pass combo but if you insert a talking mod effect and adjust it just right, you can get pretty close. I'm still trying to perfect it.
bpoodoo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that sound in several 80s songs (e.g. intro of Pet Shop Boys "So Hard"). It's sort of a hollow-metallic-breathy-voice. I'm not sure if it's a preset on any particular keyboard. It does remind me of the Ensoniq VFX-SD waveform "VOX-OOHS."

Some multisamples on the Triton Extreme come close:

Vint>140: SynVoice-VS
ROM>117: Voice-Pop Ah
ROM>115: Voice-Pop Ooh
Vint>138: Vocoder-VP

These are also on the Krome, with the same names but different locations.

I tried making a program for this. I copied an existing vocal program and set Basic OSCs to Voice-Pop Ah and SynVoice-VS. I added insert effects chained in order: Talking Modulator, Ensemble, St. Biphase Mod, and Reverb SmoothHall.

Talking Modulator is the main effect to transform a vocal sample. Choose your vowels (they're free) and try changing the other settings like Formant which sets the spectral resonance peak frequency.

The St. Biphase Mod effect adds some motion. Using a wetter value adds a sort of a phaser effect and what sounds like arpeggio/Karma due to the phasing which accentuates particular notes at different times.

In my attempt, I wasn't able to exactly reproduce it. There are nuances in that original waveform which really require you to have a sample that's close to the original, or to be able to recreate the sound parametrically using a similar synthesis model as the original. But regardless, you can still make a quality sound on your Triton Extreme or Krome that's similar but not identical.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: