Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KORG announcements

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject: KORG announcements Reply with quote

According to the announcements I received from YouTube KORG will present new synths and digital pianos for 2021, but no Kronos successor:

New KORG synths for 2021 Pt1
New KORG synths for 2021 Pt2
KORG Workstations: Nautilus & Kronos
KORG’s Upcoming Digital Pianos
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but no Kronos successor

Curious, what makes you say that?

Thanks.
Sharp.
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
Quote:
but no Kronos successor

Thanks.
Sharp.

Because of the titles of the announcements: new synths for 2021 (not workstations), new pianos, and when it comes to the workstation announcements 2 familiar names.
If KORG were to release a Kronos successor surely they would mention something like ‘NEW workstation’ in the announcements? I’m guessing that if there will be anything new about the Kronos it will be a new color - and maybe some additional sound content.
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan1 wrote:
Sharp wrote:
Quote:
but no Kronos successor

Thanks.
Sharp.

Because of the titles of the announcements: new synths for 2021 (not workstations), new pianos, and when it comes to the workstation announcements 2 familiar names.
If KORG were to release a Kronos successor surely they would mention something like ‘NEW workstation’ in the announcements? I’m guessing that if there will be anything new about the Kronos it will be a new color - and maybe some additional sound content.

The truth is, we really DO NOT know what they have up their sleeve. 2020 was crazy all over the planet due to COVID-19. I am sure it hit everyone hard.

They may be saving the big stuff for their live feed in 3 days (as stated on the links on YT when you click on them).

It would be interesting to see if they do come out with some more synths. They've already released some cool stuff with the Nautilus and OPSix. Maybe they will have another analog thingy that would compete with the Behringer offerings.

As for me, I just bought the Yamaha Reface YC and Reface CP. I also bought the Xenyx Studio Control2USB and it should be here in a week or two. I also have Behringer VC340 on order and it is expected in early March sometime. I am interested in the Poly-D or the MonoPoly from them too.

I was going to get the Reface DX, but decided on the OPSix instead. Maybe in a couple of months, I will have that.

Since we really have no choice, I will wait for Korg's broadcast and see what they come up with.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Because of the titles of the announcements: new synths for 2021 (not workstations)

Ahhh understood. But they didn’t say “no workstations”, they just never mentioned the word. Smile

Fair enough, and you are probably totally right, but I shall still have hope given that the KRONOS is 10 years old and KORG are way over due to drop a new Workstation.

My first workstation was a KORG and for all my entire life my main keyboard has always been a KORG workstation, but this 10 year lifespan for the KRONOS has been far too long for me. I feel say to say it but my main instrument now is a Native Instruments S61 midi controller and Kontakt simply because I need more sample RAM for better sounds. Something the KRONOS can’t offer me due to the fact it’s OS is 32bit.

I hate to say that, and I really don’t like the fact I had to do this as I prefer to work on a KORG workstation. But this is the only way I could personally evolve as a musician who craves the needs for far more realistic sounds and use more and more RAM. As a direct result of being able to access more realistic sounds through Kontakt, my abilities have been greatly challenged one again, and my music has grown considerable as a result of that. In short, I’m enjoying myself composing again as I can do way more, bigger and better.

Previously, for all my life this has been something that KORG has always satisfied in me, but with the KRONOS clinging on so long, first the first time I’ve been forced to go elsewhere for my main instrument needs.

So, needless to say I hope KORG do release a new workstation soon, and those 10 years will see a considerable evolution of the Workstation as I really want a KORG workstation back as the main workstation in my studio.

Regards
Sharp.

PS.... for the record, the Wavestate has been for me one of the most exciting things KORG has released since the KRONOS. It’s a super creative synth that just fires the imagination.
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
[ I feel say to say it but my main instrument now is a Native Instruments S61 midi controller and Kontakt simply because I need more sample RAM for better sounds. Something the KRONOS can’t offer me due to the fact it’s OS is 32bit.

Sharp.

I just don't subscribe to that way of looking at it.

I have a top end MBP with NI Komplete ultimate 13 Collectors edition; V-Collection, Spectrasoncics Omnisphere; essentially everything Eastwest have relased, and on and on.

But I've spent a lot of time over the years optimising my OASYS with the very best programs and combis - from all libraries there are - al organised by synth engine; and those coupled to all of the other features of the OASYS from Vextor Synthesis to wavesequencing, its 16 effects processors, amazing realtime controls surface - and using its internal sequencer - is as effective - if not more so - for me.

the reason is - it offers incalculable resources, I've optimised it, I know it well, it offers amazing ergonomics and real time control - 88-note, two joysticks, ribbon, pads, faders, knobs, - all latency free.

To boot - its internal HD1 samples are absolutely incredible - even today. From percussion to strings to woodwind, brass, .... - the choice of articulations, though very clever programming on Korg's part - are amazing. There's little in orchestral mockups it can't actually achieve!

So it's apples and oranges. The only reason why the OASYS and Kronos aren't used for full productions is because people don't view it that way - not because it's not capable.

MOD-7 is as good as any plugin - Zebra, Pigments - even the Waldorf Quantum - it's as good as all of those. It's spec are off the scale.

There are, literally, no limits to the OASYS and Kronos, still.
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
Quote:
Because of the titles of the announcements: new synths for 2021 (not workstations)

Ahhh understood. But they didn’t say “no workstations”, they just never mentioned the word. Smile

Fair enough, and you are probably totally right, but I shall still have hope given that the KRONOS is 10 years old and KORG are way over due to drop a new Workstation.

My first workstation was a KORG and for all my entire life my main keyboard has always been a KORG workstation, but this 10 year lifespan for the KRONOS has been far too long for me. I feel say to say it but my main instrument now is a Native Instruments S61 midi controller and Kontakt simply because I need more sample RAM for better sounds. Something the KRONOS can’t offer me due to the fact it’s OS is 32bit.

I hate to say that, and I really don’t like the fact I had to do this as I prefer to work on a KORG workstation. But this is the only way I could personally evolve as a musician who craves the needs for far more realistic sounds and use more and more RAM. As a direct result of being able to access more realistic sounds through Kontakt, my abilities have been greatly challenged one again, and my music has grown considerable as a result of that. In short, I’m enjoying myself composing again as I can do way more, bigger and better.

Previously, for all my life this has been something that KORG has always satisfied in me, but with the KRONOS clinging on so long, first the first time I’ve been forced to go elsewhere for my main instrument needs.

So, needless to say I hope KORG do release a new workstation soon, and those 10 years will see a considerable evolution of the Workstation as I really want a KORG workstation back as the main workstation in my studio.

Regards
Sharp.

PS.... for the record, the Wavestate has been for me one of the most exciting things KORG has released since the KRONOS. It’s a super creative synth that just fires the imagination.

My first workstation also was a KORG, so I can totally relate to what you say.
I have always found KORG workstations to be a musically inspiring and intuitive way of making music.

The architecture of the OASYS/KRONOS has so much going for it that it would be foolish for KORG to abandon it.
They just need to move forward, towards a 64-bit system so that the RAM can be expanded way beyond the current limits (aside from the fact that the GUI of the KRONOS also is in need of a new design).
Also, the option to install M.2 NVMe drives would be great in a KRONOS successor.

But, it would come as a great (yet very pleasant) surprise if KORG were to release a major new flagship workstation this year so soon after the launch of the Nautilus.
I am very curious what KORG has to offer.
The first part of the new upcoming synths will come from KORG USA, and I that will be a very interesting event to watch.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But I've spent a lot of time over the years optimising my OASYS with the very best programs and combis

Unless you have the PCM data to go with that programming, you could be accused of trying to polish a turd. Wink

Quote:
To boot - its internal HD1 samples are absolutely incredible - even today. From percussion to strings to woodwind, brass, .... - the choice of articulations, though very clever programming on Korg's part - are amazing. There's little in orchestral mockups it can't actually achieve!

I wouldn’t go that far. It had what it had, including PCM data from past workstations. The newer pcm data was great, but there’s always that compromise due to RAM limitation and a 32bit OS holding things back. Even on the factory PCM data.

Fire up your OASYS and pick something like a Cello and compare it to this. https://youtu.be/u65HpX5UM9A?t=110

It's night and day level stuff.

Quote:
So it's apples and oranges. The only reason why the OASYS and Kronos aren't used for full productions is because people don't view it that way - not because it's not capable.

But people do use them for full productions and the limitations are real. For a 15 year old keyboard, I can understand that. Same for the 10 year old KRONOS. But to see KORG release the nautilus
this year with the exact same limitations, that kind of scares me.

Quote:
MOD-7 is as good as any plugin - Zebra, Pigments - even the Waldorf Quantum - it's as good as all of those. It's spec are off the scale.

That’s completely different topic. In my original post and in this post I’ve only ever spoken about PCM based sounds.

Quote:
There are, literally, no limits to the OASYS and Kronos, still.

Yeah, but that’s just nonsense. Smile They have limits. Lots of them. A 64Bit OS would go a very long way to solving many of them though.

Sharp.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan1 wrote:
[qu

The first part of the new upcoming synths will come from KORG USA, and I that will be a very interesting event to watch.

I am under the impression that Korg USA is the US distributor and does the bulk of the new product marketing.

IOW, Korg USA does not manufacture. Korg Inc of Japan is the ultimate source of new product decisions. At least thats what history tells me.

It is notable that Korg mentions Kronos and Nautilus in their blurb.

It is the 10th anniversary of Kronos. Its captain obvious for a company to capitalize on the 10 year anniversary of a successful , legacy product. I expect
a shiney Kronos iteration , a 10th anniversary model.
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Jan1 wrote:
[qu

I am under the impression that Korg USA is the US distributor and does the bulk of the new product marketing.

IOW, Korg USA does not manufacture. Korg Inc of Japan is the ultimate source of new product decisions. At least thats what history tells me.

It is notable that Korg mentions Kronos and Nautilus in their blurb.

It is the 10th anniversary of Kronos. Its captain obvious for a company to capitalize on the 10 year anniversary of a successful , legacy product. I expect
a shiney Kronos iteration , a 10th anniversary model.

It’s my understanding that there’s a KORG US design team which is responsible for some really interesting KORG instruments (Wavestate, OASYS), KORG R&D in California, hence my remark.
Asena
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I,m sure KORG will open the Next Chapter Again, Like Always!
Time will tell! Wink

KORG PA 5-X/YAMAHA GENOS 2/YAMAHA A 5000
LIONSTRACK X 76 & GROOVE XR
MEDELI AKX-10

MacbookproM2-Ssd/Logic/Neuman/Kali Audio8/Komplette14SDD/ Apollo Twin/PIONEER XDJ RX 2
LOTS OF SAMPLE SOUNDS!
KorgPaManager V 5
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With 21 Synths in the lineup including 3 new at NAMM and new DP’s the Korg lineup grows

It is now the Arranger users who are badly served by Korg, with old OS and no new PA models since mid 2017.
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggles wrote:
With 21 Synths in the lineup including 3 new at NAMM and new DP’s the Korg lineup grows

It is now the Arranger users who are badly served by Korg, with old OS and no new PA models since mid 2017.

To be fair, arrangers are kind of a niche instrument. Not everyone needs the features of the arranger vs. needing more features of a synth. I think that they work great, even though there are a couple of questions that I have needed to be answered (and I got the answer to some of them or figured it out on my own).

While I do not completely agree with your statement, I would LOVE to see some of this tech from the new synths to be added to an arranger. I have been commenting for some time to see an arranger with KARMA in it. I doubt it will ever happen.

To be more honest, I consider myself a power user with my PA700. I imagine that there are people in and out of this forum who are also power users and still have not run up against any kind of wall that inhibits being productive on their instrument. I doubt that ANYONE has exhausted all of the resources on their given instrument in that regard.

I think that there is a much lower turnover in the arranger market. I know that before I got the PA700, I played the hell out of my very basic Roland E-09 for over 10 years and put thousands of gigs under its belt because it still worked and sounded great. The PA700 was a MAJOR step up from that Roland, so I could conceivably see me using the PA700 for even longer than the Roland I used before.

Imagine an arranger with the Modwave, Wavestate, and maybe even an analog section (a la Minilogue or Prologue) built in?

Maybe it would be easier to design a synth with all of that in there (hello, future Kronos model) and add an arranger section...

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! A lot of interesting thoughts there. Myself, I've been a Korg user since the early mid 70's. My Minikorg 700. Once we got into workstations, I fell in love with the ease that Korg products worked with. Yamaha just didn't feel right even though the sounds are fine. Roland too.

The Nautilus seems to me to just be a gelded Kronos. I think it's kind of like an LE Kronos without all the controls. I could be wrong though. Myself, give me lots of sliders and knobs! The more the merrier!

Korg has certainly put out a lot of amazing product this month. I hope they're finally wrapping their collective heads around the fact that 61 keys is a minimum. As for a Kronos successor; and since this has been a hot topic on this forum for years; who knows what lurks in the minds of the mad professors! So many Kronos users, so many different want and needs. For me, 32 bit doesn't bother me but then again, I don't sample. Heck, I'm still using the original SSD and I've got a first gen version.

As far as limits, I haven't really hit any except with myself. I still have yet to learn the more difficult engines, like Mod7 and Str1 or whatever it's called.

I lie. The limit I've run into is when recording audio into the sequencer. It seems that I'm running into a situation where most of the tracks are used before I even start a song. Hmmmm.

Oh well. Ther probably is an easy solution and I just don't know what it is yet.

Stay safe! Hope for a new and better Kronos.
And wash yer hands!

Jeremykeys, the ever hopeful!
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: