Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M1R EX vs. T1 vs. M1 waveforms?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swiss Frank

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:33 pm    Post subject: M1R EX vs. T1 vs. M1 waveforms? Reply with quote

I've heard things that don't fit together.

1) Korg M1 has 2Mword/4MB of samples

2) Korg T1/2/3 have double the sample memory--4Mword/8MB--but lack some of the old samples such as the famous hard-sounding "Dance Piano."

3) M1R EX has double the sample memory--again 4Mword/8MB. which "include the T3 samples" but no talk that this takes away any samples such as the famous piano.

So what's the ultimate story?

M1R EX includes 100% of the M1R waveforms, right?

Does it include 100% of the T3 waveforms? Or just a subset? Or are they simply extra waveforms not necessarily from the T3?

Thanks!
Frank
the_crimson_thunder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: M1R EX vs. T1 vs. M1 waveforms? Reply with quote

Hi Frank,

this are the additional waveforms on a M1Ex/M1REx:

The Soundsamples 000 - 099 remain unchanged as
do the Drumsamples 01 - 44
Swiss Frank

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks crimson thunder, but the link is broken?

And if it's a list of the extra waves in the EX that'd be great to see but do you know how many ARE T1 waves? Or how many are LIKE T1 waves?

Thanks again.
T3owner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swiss Frank wrote:
Thanks crimson thunder, but the link is broken?

And if it's a list of the extra waves in the EX that'd be great to see but do you know how many ARE T1 waves? Or how many are LIKE T1 waves?

Thanks again.

The link works fine, at least for me. The Multisounds shown are the ones in the T-Series models that are in addition to those found in a base (non-EX) M1.
Swiss Frank

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> The Multisounds shown are the ones in the T-Series models that are in addition to those found in a base (non-EX) M1.

OK, are they exactly the T1 sounds? Or are they just the same name and similar?

And what T1 sounds are not available?
T3owner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swiss Frank wrote:
> The Multisounds shown are the ones in the T-Series models that are in addition to those found in a base (non-EX) M1.

OK, are they exactly the T1 sounds? Or are they just the same name and similar?

And what T1 sounds are not available?

They are the same, and are all of the T-Series ROM sounds. (Obviously the T1 and T2EX/T3EX have PCM RAM and can load numerous sounds not found in ROM.)

I suggest that you research online the EXK-M1 ROM expansion kit if you're still not convinced.
Swiss Frank

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks T3Owner!

So I'm curious, if the T3 has 4MWord (8MByte) ROM, but is missing things like the M1's famous cutting dance piano...

And the M1 EX has all of the T-Series ROM sounds in its 4MWord (8MByte) ROM... and has the Dance Piano...

How is that possible?

I mean, there's at least one waveset that's not in the T series (I hear), so surely there's something in the T series that isn't copied in the M1 EX?
T3owner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swiss Frank wrote:
Thanks T3Owner!

So I'm curious, if the T3 has 4MWord (8MByte) ROM, but is missing things like the M1's famous cutting dance piano...

And the M1 EX has all of the T-Series ROM sounds in its 4MWord (8MByte) ROM... and has the Dance Piano...

How is that possible?

I mean, there's at least one waveset that's not in the T series (I hear), so surely there's something in the T series that isn't copied in the M1 EX?

You seem to be confusing Multisounds ("samples") with Programs (which is where parameters such as envelopes, filters, effects, etc. modify the Multisounds).

The Multisounds are the same, the factory Preset Programs are not. However, the T-Series models can load M1 files, so any Program that's in an M1 can be produced on a T.
Swiss Frank

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure why you think I'm talking patches. I'm only talking samples.

Are you saying that T3's 8MB samples are identical to the M1 EX's 8MB samples? And therefore any patch you make on one can be made on the other?

Curious if their output would be sample-by-sample utterly identical, or is there some differences in the the T3's filters or FX, say?
T3owner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swiss Frank wrote:
I'm not sure why you think I'm talking patches.

Because "Dance Piano" isn't an M1 Multisound, for one reason.

Swiss Frank wrote:
I'm only talking samples.

Are you saying that T3's 8MB samples are identical to the M1 EX's 8MB samples? And therefore any patch you make on one can be made on the other?

Curious if their output would be sample-by-sample utterly identical, or is there some differences in the the T3's filters or FX, say?

The Multisounds in ROM are the same. Identical Programs based on Multisounds in ROM will sound the same, within any reasonable standard.

This discussion has gone well beyond practicality. Perhaps you'd like to perform Fourier analysis as a means of comparison. Sorry, but I'm not interested in pursuing this nit-picking any further.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Korg M1 Program called Piano 16' as used in many classic hits, uses the same basic multisamples (or Multisounds) (called Piano) as the Korg T1. However, there are differences between the effects used by the factory Korg M1 and T1 Piano 16' Programs, so the generated piano sounds will be different. That can all be changed, of course, be editing the relevant Program parameters.

Swiss Frank

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here's the conclusion of my research:

M1 has 99 built-in Multisounds in its 2Mword (4MB) sound ROMs. The list is on page 137 of the M1 Owner's Manual, available at https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/manual/1/139/1685/

The T1 has 189 built-in Multisounds in its 4Mword (8MB) sound ROMS. The list is on the last page of the T3 Reference Guide, available at https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/manual/1/207/3574/

The names of the first 99 T1 Multisounds are identical to the M1 Multisounds.

The list above of additional Multisounds in the EX is of unknown provenance but looks believably like an official Korg document. It exactly matches the list of Multisounds 100-189 in the T3.

Further, since the M3 EX has the same 4Mword (8MB) of samples as the T3, I think it's safe to assume that the waveforms are sample by sample identical.

Conclusion: The T1's first half of its Multisound set was a complete duplicate of the M1. In turn, the M1 EX (and M1R EX) adds exactly the extra Multisounds of the T1, no more or less.

The story is the same with the drum samples: the 44 in the M1 were likewise in the T1. The T1 added 41 more, and these in turn are included in the M1 EX.

Kudos to the_crimson_thunder for having the right answer, above, albeit without citations. Sorry I didn't take your word for it immediately but there's so many authoritative yet misten comments on the internet on this subject I wanted to drill down and make sure.

> I suggest that you research online the EXK-M1 ROM expansion kit if you're still not convinced.

I couldn't find any docs on this. In fact I even have an M1R EX but it only came with an M1R manual. But I don't know why you use this aggressive wording: "if you're still not convinced." I'm continuing to ask questions, not because I'm "not convinced," but because my questions haven't been clearly or completely answered.

> You seem to be confusing Multisounds ("samples") with Programs (which is where parameters such as envelopes, filters, effects, etc. modify the Multisounds).

Really, you just get ruder and ruder with time. I'm not "confused" about anything.

> This discussion has gone well beyond practicality. Perhaps you'd like to perform Fourier analysis as a means of comparison. Sorry, but I'm not interested in pursuing this nit-picking any further.

What is your problem? Why can you not have a friendly and polite conversation about a mutual interest? Persevering until one gets a simple answer to a simple question is hardly "nit-picking." If you don't care for the question, just buzz off and go somewhere else. No-one is making you stay here and be rude, if you're not interested. Do you fill your day with being rude to new posters whose posts you're not interested in? If so that sounds very depressing and pathetic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: