Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Audio In/Line vs Mic

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dawnbell

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject: Audio In/Line vs Mic Reply with quote

I want to connect my iPad to PA700 to play a MP3 backing track. If I set the audio in as "Line", the volume of the backing track is too low even when I have the volume of my iPad, PA700 Mic/In and PA700 master at maximum. If I set the audio in as "Mic", I can adjust the gain at the back of PA700 and have so much more head room to adjust the volume. My question is, in my scenario of setting the audio in as" Mic", will it damage either PA700 or my iPad?

Self-taught keyboard newbie. Humbled and grateful for this forum. Korg PA700 + TC Helicon Perform-VK
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Audio In/Line vs Mic Reply with quote

Dawnbell wrote:
I want to connect my iPad to PA700 to play a MP3 backing track. If I set the audio in as "Line", the volume of the backing track is too low even when I have the volume of my iPad, PA700 Mic/In and PA700 master at maximum. If I set the audio in as "Mic", I can adjust the gain at the back of PA700 and have so much more head room to adjust the volume. My question is, in my scenario of setting the audio in as" Mic", will it damage either PA700 or my iPad?

I have noticed that the Line-In option is a bit low in its volume, especially when compared against the volume of the built-in sounds on the PA700.

Depending on how you have the Assignable Knobs set up, one of them can control the input volume that goes into the PA700 (whether it is Line, Mic, Guitar, etc...). If you go into the Global Settings and select Controllers, you will see, at the bottom of that page, what the knobs are set up for. If one of them is set for 'Audio in Volume', then make sure that knob is turned all the way up (clockwise) after the machine fully boots up.

One problem with using the line inputs as a guitar or mic input is that the signal going INTO the PA700 is not stereo. The Line In, provided you are using both L/R input connections, is stereo (also provided that your source input is also stereo). I am assuming that you are using a 'Y' cable to plug your device into the PA700...

The only problem I see with using a device with a headphone jack output (like on your iPad) and using the Guitar or Mic setting for the input is a mismatch of input impedance. The line-level input has a different impedance than a guitar input or a mic input.

Microphone and Instrument levels are lower than a line-level signal. That is why you have a gain feature to bring up the volume levels of the mic/instrument.

I am not sure what the long-term ramifications are of using a line-level signal in a mic/instrument level input are, but I too have done it a few times without any problems.

Sometimes, MP3 files or signals coming from another device are lower than others.

If you are running the master Limiter or anything, you may want to consider turning it off, as it only effects the sounds on the PA700 itself. If you are running the Limiter and then adjust the Output Gain of the limiter to be louder, then it will make any input signal appear softer (because it would be, as the Inputs are not routed through the Limiter - at least in my experience).

I use my PA700 with a Korg M50 AND an Alesis SR16 drum machine. The M50 and SR16 plug into a mixer. I used to plug the mixer's outputs into the Line-Level input of the PA700 so all of the sounds would come out of the PA700's output jacks and I could go straight into a powered speaker. I found that I had to turn off the Limiter on the PA700 so that I could have enough volume coming through the Audio-In so I could mix all three together. I have since changed this by plugging everything into the mixer (including the PA700) and going from the Mixer's outputs to the powered speakers.

There are tools and programs that allow you to increase the volume of the MP3 files. A simple program like Audacity would be able to handle that task. If you can get your backing tracks at a higher volume in the iPad, that would help you as well. I am not going to enter the discussion about maxing an audio track's volume like so many recordings today do, but I know that overall, most MP3 files or backing tracks need some kind of volume increase.

If you are using backing tracks, also make sure that they are not only 128K files. If you can change these (or start from this point and going forward) files to 320K, they will help with the fidelity of the track. 128K MP3 files are not as 'hi-fi' as the 256k or 320K files. A file at a higher resolution will take up more memory, but they will be worth it.

I know that I have added a bit more than your initial query suggested, but I hope that it helps.

There is also an option to play MP3 files FROM the PA700 as well. You need to copy them to the PA700 and you can assign one of the two assignable knobs to control the volume of the MP3 files as well. You will still need to make sure that the files are, volume-wise, where you want them to be, but you could install a MicroSD card into the back of the PA700 and store your backing tracks internally. The same can also be done using a flash drive.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
Dawnbell

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much, Harry! Very valuable information you've put out for me. I appreciate it!

I don't think plugging my iPad into a mixer is an feasible solution for me at this point. I will try Audacity to increase the volume of the MP3 file. I know PA700 can play MP3 or WAV file, but it can't be done in Style mode, right? That's the mode I want to use the backing track. It is a drone pad file, so I still need the rest of the accompaniment that PA700 offers.

Self-taught keyboard newbie. Humbled and grateful for this forum. Korg PA700 + TC Helicon Perform-VK
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawnbell wrote:
Thanks so much, Harry! Very valuable information you've put out for me. I appreciate it!

I don't think plugging my iPad into a mixer is an feasible solution for me at this point. I will try Audacity to increase the volume of the MP3 file. I know PA700 can play MP3 or WAV file, but it can't be done in Style mode, right? That's the mode I want to use the backing track. It is a drone pad file, so I still need the rest of the accompaniment that PA700 offers.

True, you cannot play an MP3 internally from the PA700 unless you are in Song Mode.

I just went over to my PA700, turned it on, and turned on my M50. I plugged one of the outputs from the M50 into the Audio In of the PA700 and I could play the Combi from M50 as the PA700 was playing a style. This means that the signal coming from the Audio In will play no matter the mode. Although I did not try Sound Mode, I am fairly sure it simply routes the stuff coming from the Audio In to the amplifier and then to the speakers.

Playing a drone from an external audio device should work no matter the mode you are in on the PA700. Your biggest issue would be syncing the two together, if they are on a strict time-base together. If it really is just a drone sound that does not rely on rhythm or anything, then you should be fine.

I would give it a shot and see how it works for you Smile

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: