Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to make a new SNG folder/file

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bizrank

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:55 am    Post subject: How to make a new SNG folder/file Reply with quote

Hello,
I love my new Kronos 2. Question: Let's say I start with a combi, which creates a new SNG folder. I record song version after song version, so that my original SNG file has maybe 20 songs on it. And I like #20. Now I would like to leave those first 19 song versions behind, and start a new SNG file, using #20 beginning at Song 000 of a new SNG folder/file. How do I do it? It must be so easy, but I can't figure out how to start all over with a clean slate. Could you point me to how, or direct me to a thread? Thank you very much!
Bill
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: How to make a new SNG folder/file Reply with quote

bizrank wrote:
Hello,
I love my new Kronos 2. Question: Let's say I start with a combi, which creates a new SNG folder. I record song version after song version, so that my original SNG file has maybe 20 songs on it. And I like #20. Now I would like to leave those first 19 song versions behind, and start a new SNG file, using #20 beginning at Song 000 of a new SNG folder/file. How do I do it? It must be so easy, but I can't figure out how to start all over with a clean slate. Could you point me to how, or direct me to a thread? Thank you very much!
Bill

Hi bill , i think i get it.

Save the 20 tunes as a new file
Name in DISK,

Reopen the 19, erase all the tracks

Copy tune 20 into song # 000 orv001

Save the changes as a new sng file

There might be a easier way but this will
Get it done
bizrank

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: How to get a clean new SNG folder/file Reply with quote

I tried it and it worked, so many thanks, GregC. Your solution works very well, but has all of the attributes of a kind of work-around for something that's missing from the Kronos, would you agree?
It seems that any time I try to compose a song, there are always versions of it, but then I'm done with those versions and want to move quickly to a new song entirely. It seems like there should be a one-button or one-click solution, doesn't there?, to an initialized new song 000. Again, my thanks!
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool, glad it worked out.

Yes, you are right, the steps are a work around.

There is a command " initialize song " that will blast away, your individual S000's, S001, etc, in the main menu. Its quicker than ' erase tracks '. But be careful with using 'initialize song '.

Bigger picture, the SEQ is a design from 15-20 years ago , for hardware SEQ's.
Its out of date in many ways.

Still, you can get pro results. I have recorded 90 originals , 100% on the Kronos SEQ. I have adapted to the work flow, and am productive.

How you handle Song work process is mostly individual.

I work with a 1 or 2 drafts in SEQ/Song mode. I hammer away, perfecting 'sections' or measures [ from 1 to 8 ], of the new song.

For example S000 is my main Song.

S001 is my 'experimental ' draft. I mess around in S001. If I like something, in S001, I copy the measures into S000.

Thus, all my up front work [ its tedious, I know ] avoids all the later
file and measure and track 'cleanup'. I don't lose any spontaneity, as I trust my muse.
bizrank

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC,
I'll try the "initialize song" method you mentioned--I think I know exactly what you're talking about. It's a song by song thing, like the erase method you described.
Your workflow is interesting. I tend to go from draft to draft, keeping each one as I go, and so often I get into the 15-20 songs per SNG, and sometimes more. This of course means a lot of memory goes into the "rough drafts" as they mount up. But now I have a method to get to 000, thanks to you.

All the best!
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bizrank wrote:
GregC,
I'll try the "initialize song" method you mentioned--I think I know exactly what you're talking about. It's a song by song thing, like the erase method you described.
Your workflow is interesting. I tend to go from draft to draft, keeping each one as I go, and so often I get into the 15-20 songs per SNG, and sometimes more. This of course means a lot of memory goes into the "rough drafts" as they mount up. But now I have a method to get to 000, thanks to you.

All the best!

very good, glad you get it.

Some years ago, I would have 10 different song ideas, but had difficulty finishing any of them.

I am highly focused on " finishing ". I had to develop the discipline of " One song project " at a time. It works for me. I have an active muse and don't starve for new musical ideas or go thru any ' drought '.

I realize everyone
who is creative is different, and thus we have to find our own way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: