Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Q: confusion about saving into different banks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
meatballfulton

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:06 pm    Post subject: Q: confusion about saving into different banks Reply with quote

From p.122-123 of the Kross 2 manual it says this about saving an edited program:

Quote:
The conditions for saving will differ depending on the
bank of the program or combination you selected in
step 1.

If you selected program bank A–F or combination
bank A or B:

If you specified Write, you can save the sound to the
same category within bank A–F. The category is fixed.

If you specified New, you can specify any category and
save the sound in bank UA-UD 000–511.

If you selected program bank UA-UD or combination
bank UA-UD:

If you specified New, you can specify any category and
save the sound in bank UA-UD 000–511.

How I'm reading this for saving an edited sound:

1. If I started editing a sound within banks A-F I can save it to the same category/bank.

2. If I started editing a sound with within banks A-F I can save to a different category but it is saved in one of the user banks.

3. If I want to initialize a sound in one step to start editing from scratch it can only be done inside the User banks.

4. If I want to go crazy and edit a sound inside bank A-F by manually initializing it parameter by parameter (or just tweaking it beyond recognition), I can save it within that bank as long as I don't change the category.

5. There is no way to edit a sound in a User bank and save it into banks A-F.

6. Category search will find and show all sounds in banks A-F, G, g and UA-UD of the same category.

--- So when I choose the Piano category, I will see all the pianos in bank A, G, g and UA-UD but not the electric pianos in those banks or any other categories in G, g, UA-UD.

--- If I was totally insane and decided I never needed any piano or electric piano sounds, I could fill the entire bank A with synth sounds created by severe tweaking of piano sounds but they would show up in category search as pianos.

Did I get this right? Seems awfully convoluted. Does anybody actually do this? Rolling Eyes
meatballfulton

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess nobody's saving many patches Cool
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

You got it right. Some small remarks (at least on Kross 1)

Quote:
1. If I started editing a sound within banks A-F I can save it to the same category/bank.

You can save it in the same category in the non-U banks. The bank does not really matter, as long as it is a non-U bank. A category may span more than 1 bank. On Kross 1, at most 2 banks, because none of the categories has more than 128 instruments.
More correct, you can save your sound over an existing instrument within the same category on the non-U banks. I.e. you can not extend or reduce the number of sounds in a category in the non-U banks.
E.g. you can edit sound A (bank B, category Bell) and save it over/replace sound B (bank C, but still category Bell)

Statements 2 and 3 are correct.
Statement 4, almost, but in fact it boils down to statement 1, only you do extreme editing/tweaking.
Statements 5 and 6 are correct.

Quote:
--- If I was totally insane and decided I never needed any piano or electric piano sounds, I could fill the entire bank A with synth sounds created by severe tweaking of piano sounds but they would show up in category search as pianos.

Yep indeed.

It is indeed a bit a strange design philosophy.

Something I vaguely remember to have read it somewhere but I'm not sure it works and I actually did not try it myself. So be cautious with it.
* Export all your programs to a PCG file.
* Read it in PCG tools (PC software).
* Edit there the category per sound and save again.
* Import the PCG file again on the board.
The tool has not the limitations you listed. You can also copy/paste around sounds over the non-U/U boundary.

Bye.
meatballfulton

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx, OpAmp Dancing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Kross All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: