Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wavestation/ext.USB Midi trigger v. internal computer trigge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Legacy Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shaunyata

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:44 am    Post subject: Wavestation/ext.USB Midi trigger v. internal computer trigge Reply with quote

When I play the Korg Wavestation VST with a Novation Launchkey 25 USB midi controller, I hear a loss of attack/volume; compared with the stronger attack/volume when I trigger the Wavestation VST clicking the software 'keys' in the software interface. The USB midi trigger doesn't give me the complete timbre/sound/program. The triggered sound is not identical to what I hear in the "Preview".

I also own the KORG MonoPoly VST and this DOENS'T happen with that VST. The attack/volume and timbre is just as strong and complete when triggered by the Novation Launchkey as when I trigger it from the software 'keys' in the interface. The triggered sound is identical to what I hear in the "Preview".

I can't find anyplace in the Wavestation VST interface that allows me to change the global Midi settings. There doesn't seem to be a 'Global' settings in the Wavestation VST as there is in the MonoPoly VST.

What's the fix for this problem?
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may just be down to key velocity. The onscreen keyboard sends max velocity (127), whilst the Novation Launchkey might be sending a range of velocity values, depending how hard you strike the keys. The MonoPoly will probably be sounding at max velocity, irrespective of the speed at which the Launchkey keys are struck.

shaunyata

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. Yes, I do think key velocity is part of the problem, esp. regarding attack and volume.

Korg support also provided an answer that explains the difference in response between the Wavestation VST and the Monopoly VST:

WAVESTATION has a number of sounds layered/split by register.
Therefore, depending on the range of your keys, you may get a different sound from the preview.
Please note that WAVESTATION's MIDI Ch is omni, and you cannot change the settings from the Utility.

Best regards,
KORG app team

The Monopoly VST models an analogue synth, which has a more unified architecture compared with a layered digital synth like the Wavestation.

Thanks for your help.
rock machine

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The button is going to be a fied velocity, probably either 100 or 127 so you aren;t going to hear the same response using any keyboard unless you are playing at the exact same velocity unless you are using a preset in which velocity is a modulator of any of the Korg's parameters, which would be rare at most.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Legacy Collection All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: