Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Working external touchscreen

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KingKronos

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject: Working external touchscreen Reply with quote

I've successfully mounted this touchscreen above my Kronos. It is connected to my Windows 10 laptop which has a usb cable to the Kronos.

The Kronos editor isn't the snappiest of programs. The first time through it takes a couple seconds to switch from program to combi to set list, but after that it's nearly instant. Switching set list slots is fast. Dragging the faders in combi mode is ok. But the editor and the Kronos screen don't always match. The editor will go to most any page, like EQ or filter, but the Kronos will still be on the main page.

Also, the editor is tiny! I had to change the touchscreen resolution to 800 x 600 to make it larger.

I'll give this a try for a couple weeks. But I'll probably go back to using the Kronos touchscreen, which I'm actually fine with.
KingKronos

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also tried connecting the touchscreen directly to the Kronos usb port. But of course the touchscreen detected no video signal. I wonder if the atom motherboard has HDMI out...
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one HDMI out... if you want to see the underlying OS prompt. As mentioned before, the LCD screen output is not coming from the motherboard but from a fancy PCB with lots of Korg programming in the ICs. Cool
KingKronos

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
There is one HDMI out... if you want to see the underlying OS prompt. As mentioned before, the LCD screen output is not coming from the motherboard but from a fancy PCB with lots of Korg programming in the ICs. Cool

Well that puts a damper on the whole external screen thing. Better to work with what you have than wish for what cannot be, right?
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingKronos wrote:
Well that puts a damper on the whole external screen thing. Better to work with what you have than wish for what cannot be, right?

Before I modified mine (sig), I checked all other possibilities but none achieved what I needed. I analyzed for weeks if my idea would even be possible. It was quite risky (no room for error) but I'm happy now. But the main point is that if I could achieve this with only 25 $ of extra components (mainly FFCs), it means that Korg could easily implement it as well - it would just be a matter of modifying a few parts. Of course it won't happen, hence why I decided to do it myself.
KingKronos

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your solution also has the bonus of venting off extra heat.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingKronos wrote:
Your solution also has the bonus of venting off extra heat.

Hi there,

You are probably right, even though the Kronos 2 had additional metal plates inside to solidify the unit and one of them is directly under the LCD screen. But it is true that there are a few holes there which can help ventilating.

You bring an interesting point actually, as my mod would be next to impossible on a Kronos 1 or X for two reasons : 1) on older Kronos models the panel with the controls is all metal instead of the Kronos 2 plastic center (around the LCD) and 2) the structural integrity of my Kronos 2 is intact (after the mod) thanks to those extra metal plates.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: