Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do I record audio from a Korg DW-6000?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Racso

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:34 pm    Post subject: How do I record audio from a Korg DW-6000? Reply with quote

Hello! I'd like some advice regarding how to record audio from a Korg DW-6000 onto my computer.
The DW-6000 is an older, more obsolete model from the 80's that used audio-cassettes as its primary form of recording sound.

I've already succeeded in recording MIDI onto my computer using a MIDI-to-USB cable. However, this is of no significant use to me at the moment.

I've tried recording from the unit's headphone jack into my computer's USB port directly. This hasn't worked.
The USB didn't show up as an option for recording (I used Audacity).
This might be an Audacity problem, though I doubt it.

My current theory is using a cable going from the headphone jack into the audio port of my computer. This hasn't been tested as I do not have the neccessary cable, and I doubt it would work regardless.

If you'd like the DW-6000's specifications and features a scan of the owner's manual is available here: https://cdn.korg.com/us/support/download/files/f39b6481322a3bd6743b5c77c964a866.pdf?response-content-disposition=inline%3Bfilename%3DDW-6000_OM_E.pdf&response-content-type=application%2Fpdf%3B

I'd appreciate any advice Very Happy
Thank you for your time!
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the DW-6000 Level switch next to the Line Out jacks is set to High, the L and R Line Out jacks on the rear panel of the DW-6000 carry line level audio signals, and are probably the best place to take the audio from the synth. If your computer has a Line In jack, use that, or if it only has a Mic In jack use that, but set the input level to Line Level. A cable with two 1/4" mono jacks to a 1/8" stereo jack will be required to make the connection between the two. Audacity should be able to "see" the Line In signals and record them.

Racso

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try this out! Smile
HardWired

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

same as DW8000.. use headphone output or both left and right mono outputs with stereo cable???
Occultronics
Racso

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
When the DW-6000 Level switch next to the Line Out jacks is set to High, the L and R Line Out jacks on the rear panel of the DW-6000 carry line level audio signals, and are probably the best place to take the audio from the synth. If your computer has a Line In jack, use that, or if it only has a Mic In jack use that, but set the input level to Line Level. A cable with two 1/4" mono jacks to a 1/8" stereo jack will be required to make the connection between the two. Audacity should be able to "see" the Line In signals and record them.

So, I've tried to record using the cable specified, to no avail.
However, I haven't put the output switch on high due to my fear of overloading my computer's audio port.
This is a risk listed in Audacity's equipment connection manual.

I have however put the switch to high when connected to an amplifier,
which caused a temporary auditory error where loud popping and crackling came from the headphone port of the synth.
Having heard this exact noise come from a pair of speakers I used to own I feared the worst when it happened.
The synth seems to be fine now, after being completely disconnected for a couple of days.

This same noise came from the amplifier shortly afterwards even though it had been disconnected, which leads me to believe the excessive voltage had overloaded the conduit. Whether this is correct or not is unknown to me.

My question is if this fear of mine is unreasonable, and if I should just screw caution and go ahead.

Additionally I'm wondering if an external USB audio interface would be an easier/necessary way of getting this to work (if any other equipment would be necessary I'd like to hear your suggestions).
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, this needs a bit of troubleshooting.

The DW-6000 is quite an old machine. If the Line Out jacks haven't been used for a while, there will probably be dirt on the contacts, from the dust in the air, and from contact oxidation. The contacts will need to be cleaned. It's not unusual for the contacts on old music gear to become unusable over time, and will be influenced by how the equipment has been stored, particularly in terms of temperature variations, humidity, and dust. Is it possible the DW-6000 has been dropped, or fallen over, during storage?

Contact cleaning can be effected using a contact cleaning lubricant, such as Servisol Super 10. Squirt some onto a jack plug and insert it into the jack socket to be cleaned. Move the plug around, back and forth and rotate it, then remove the plug and wipe with clean tissue. The chances are, there will be some dirt on the tissue. Repeat the process several times, until the tissue wipe looks clean. Do this for all the jack sockets you intend to use. The Line Out level switch will also probably need it's contacts to be cleaned. Spray the switch cleaner onto the side of the switch lever and move the switch left and right a few times. Repeat a few times.

Now try a few things. If audio from the DW-6000 can be heard directly from the headphone jack socket, then you could try using HardWired's suggestion of a cable from the headphone output to the computer sound input. Having said that, it can be quite handy to have the use of headphones whilst using the Line Outs. Try plugging the headphones directly into each of the DW-6000's L and R Line Out (it won't damage the DW-6000). It should be possible to hear at least some audio, although it will probably be only in one earpiece of the headphone. If both Line Out jack sockets appear to be working, try using the cable I suggested, into the computer's audio Line In. If Audacity still can't "see" the audio, you will need to troubleshoot the computer's audio in. Try disconnecting the jack plugs of the cable from the DW-6000, but not from the computer, and try touching the tip of each jack plug with a finger. The "mains hum" from this crude signal source should show up in Audacity, first on one channel then the other. If not, you will need to troubleshoot the signal path from the computer audio input to Audacity. An alternative signal source to use might be an MP3 player, with suitable cable.

Racso

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 12:53 am    Post subject: Success! Reply with quote

So, after some delays, ordering the correct cable, and changing some settings on my computer, I've been able to flawlessly record audio from the synth's headphone port. Very Happy

There is however a slight hum in the background of the audio track.
I assume this is because of how the synth is constructed (old tech and all).
This issue isn't too big as it is only noticeable if the remaining audio isn't loud enough to cover it up.
I believe there is some method of getting rid of the hum if desired.

Regarding the cleanliness issue I haven't taken a look at it yet, however due to my initial problem being solved I don't think it is neccessary to do so unless this very thing is the reason for the high setting acting up.

Anyhow, thanks hardwire & voip for your help! I appreciate the advice. Very Happy
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent.

The hum comes from induced pickup by the synth, PC and audio wiring from the electromagnetic fields present everywhere that has an AC electricity supply, be it mains from the street, or solar powered/battery sourced AC current. There are several things that could be tried to reduce the hum. Powering the computer and synth from the same supply socket, and running their mains supply cables close together, and the audio cable parallel to those leads but separated by a small distance is one approach, the aim being to reduce any hum loops formed by these wiring components. Ensuring that the audio cable screen has a good earth connection via the audio jacks. Lifting the ground on one component is another, but that has to be done with caution and an understanding of the risks of runnnig ungrounded equipment. Using a DI box between synth and computer, in order to isolate the grounds of the synth and the computer, is another thing that could be tried. Eventually you will find what works best in your situation. A method to use if the others fail would be to use a software notch filter, set to the mains frequency (or it's harmonic, if that is predominant).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Audio / Visual All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: