Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie Question: Voice Name List for Triton Le

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton LE / Korg TR
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KeyplayerG

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Newbie Question: Voice Name List for Triton Le Reply with quote

Hello,

I've been a Korg Keyboard user back to pretty much the beginning. My 1st one was the Korg Poly-6 before they added MIDI. For years my primary keyboard was and still is an O1/W Pro (76 Key).

A while ago I purchased a used 88 Key Triton Le. I love the feel and the sounds. But I can't get my head around the Voice Library.

On the O1/W Pro, the library was very clearly laid out. Any patch that ended with a zero was an "Atmospheric Synth." Any patch ending with 1 was a piano or organ, 2 was brass, 3 was woodwind, 4 guitar, 5 bell or metallic percussion, 6 bass, 7 orchestral strings, 8 lead synth and 9 was drums/percussion.

But on the Triton Le, this system doesn't seem to be in effect anymore. I was prepared for a change in the numbers, ie: 6 was no longer bass. Now it was brass or something like that. Or, because of GM standard 00 would be drums. But I can't figure out any kind of categorized structure at all.

000 - Big Sweep Stab
010 - 2VCO Planet Lead
So far, same system.
020 -Standard Kit Shocked

So, IF there is a Category Structure, I can't figure it out and with so many more patches now available, it's really time consuming trying to find something even with the directory (even a dictionary is alphabetized)!

Can anyone here explain this new system for me, to make it easier to find patches faster? Confused

Thanks! Very Happy
bpoodoo

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, for most of the Triton series there is no rhyme or reason in the program or combi numbering as it relates to the sound or instrument type. It's like they've been put through a randomizing blender. The "10's HOLD" cycling by 10's sometimes works to get related sound types, but not generally.

The Category feature can be used to show the programs/combis of a particular sound type. While it helps, it isn't perfect (e.g. BassSplit might be a jazzy acoustic bass and piano or an EDM synth bass and trance lead). See page 21 of the Triton Le Basic Guide: https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/product/1/217/

You can also download the Voice Name List .pdf file to your
computer/phone/tablet and search for certain keywords to perhaps find the sound(s) you want, if they have been named appropriately (e.g. "Piano" to find all piano programs/combis).
KeyplayerG

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bpoodoo wrote:
Yeah, for most of the Triton series there is no rhyme or reason in the program or combi numbering as it relates to the sound or instrument type. It's like they've been put through a randomizing blender. The "10's HOLD" cycling by 10's sometimes works to get related sound types, but not generally.

The Category feature can be used to show the programs/combis of a particular sound type. While it helps, it isn't perfect (e.g. BassSplit might be a jazzy acoustic bass and piano or an EDM synth bass and trance lead). See page 21 of the Triton Le Basic Guide: https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/product/1/217/

You can also download the Voice Name List .pdf file to your
computer/phone/tablet and search for certain keywords to perhaps find the sound(s) you want, if they have been named appropriately (e.g. "Piano" to find all piano programs/combis).

First off, thanks a lot for your reply!

I have the documentation that came with the keyboard, including the Voices Directory. Ironically, that's what made me post this question. I couldn't make any kind of sense out of the organization scheme looking at that!

I just kept thinking that there must be some kind of "Key." Because the chart didn't make any sense at all. This is disappointing news. I guess I'll just be using it as a controller. Life is too short for this nonsense.

Thanks anyway. Much appreciated! Cool
Nealster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi KeyplayerG!

I'm a bit late to this topic so maybe you already solved it, but as bpoodoo points out, the "Category" button is exactly for this. Here you can step through only the programs within a category:

Also, from the normal playing mode, if you press the HOLD key it will go into "Category hold" mode ("Cat.HOLD" icon appears), and it will be like the "10's HOLD" on the old workstations, you will only step through sounds in that category:

Hope this helps! Enjoy the LE!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton LE / Korg TR All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: