Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OPSIX Operator Modes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
winddealer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:56 pm    Post subject: OPSIX Operator Modes Reply with quote

Greetings,

I am considering the OPSIX but am a bit unclear about the value of the five operator modes of the OPSIX. I own several FM synths and am trying to break through the marketing jargon and understand what these modes deliver. I don't currently own an OPSIX, just considering one at this point.

From the OPSIX Manual (summarized):

[b]FM -[/b] LFO Modulation, FM Feedback and WIDTH parameters.
Does this only work with Op1 and Op2? What about the other four operators?

[b]Ring Mod - [/b]Multiply modulator osc with carrier osc alter with shape parameter - Does this only work with Op1 and Op2 or any operator?

[b]Filter - [/b]Modulate the Osc cutoff Filter using keyboard tracking
Cutoff is syned to the osc pitch adn cutoff parameter adds an offset.

[b]Filter FM - [/b]Mod a filter's cutoff with LFO to create a Wah effect. The modulator center freq is syned with osc pitch. use CUTOFF parameter to add an offset.

[b]Wave Folder - [/b]This is an Effect - invert oscillator & modulator at a fixed threshold. OSCMIX controls the amount of osc signal fed ino the wavefolder

Do these modes only apply to specific Operators like Op1 and OP2 only?
Or can these modes be used with any of the six operators?

With the exception of the Ring Mod Mode, why are these called Modes?
Are they not just standard ways to modulate an operators Filter or pitch?

From a high level point of view it seems like these modulation techniques are standard types of modulation that any FM synth would be capable of?

Are modes just short cuts in setting up patches? They don't seem to be "unique" to basic FM patch development? But maybe I am missing the bigger picture?

Gratefully.
Narioso

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you read this with nice images as well to visually explain?
https://www.korg.com/se/products/synthesizers/opsix/

"Five operator modes that expand FM synthesis"

"Operator modes on the opsix are used to generate sounds that are completely outside what a traditional FM sound generator can make. The operator modes let you create sounds using modulation other than FM. The opsix offers you a much wider range of sound creation, letting you combine the five operator modes (FM, ring modulation, filter, filter FM and wavefolder) and select from a wide range of waveforms."

"modes" is usually something that is exclusive - you cannot combine modes on the same operator.

But page 82 in manual says "OP1....6" and which parameters are available - so not sure where it says only op1 and 2?
24 parameters covering any operator is what I see.

As I understand it the available algorithms tell how you can combine the operators as carrier or modulator. And all 40 are listed on link at top. But you can create your own algos too.

Korg has done it again - providing us with a new range of possibilities - and where I think Korg shine above everybody else.
winddealer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the response. Yes, I actually reviewed the OPSIX manual before making this post. From what I can tell the Modes relate to modulation techniques that perhaps did not exist on the original Dx7. Ok, I can agree with that. However, that is legacy FM synth that introduced FM to the masses. So, it may not have had all the five modultation modes of the OPSIX made a half decade later.

The modes do not appear to be core to the FM sound engine.
So these modes are modulation techniques after the carriers have generated the sound. These seem to be insertion effects of a DSP verses a "mode".

If these are insertion effects then these capabilities are not new, they were introduced over four years ago by another large FM Synth manufacturer but they were not marketed as exclusive "modes". .

FM envelope modulation: Filter envelope modulation after the carriers - not new.
Wave Folding - Insertion effect - not new
AM modultion (wah wah) - insertion effect- not new
FM Modulation -nothing new (aftertouch as an example).- not new

Correct me if I'm wrong, I did read the manual but it does not define "mode" as what I seem to understand as an "insertion effect".

Gratefully.
Narioso

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the modes as insert effects on a single operator in another manufacturer, to do it all in one operator - tell us which?
Then combining these operators in loads of ways in algorithms.

Why so secrative?

To have these things in effects section before sound leave synth is something completely different.

I think images on website I linked to is better to give a brief description of modes than manual is.

p.s. language police remark - you probably mean "half a century later" - 50 years not 5 years.....DX7 was the 80's but what a heck.....

AM bring ring modulation, not so much wah effect.

For the record I don't own Opsix, just as you try through various youtube tutorials and manuals tell what it is about and if for me.

If you don't think it brings anything for new you - don't buy it.
I see a lot of headroom here to discover new things.

Most things fed into each other probably dont bring anything useful, but options are there it seems to me.

I struggled some with a TX81Z in the 80's, that has less operators than DX7 - but it was no fun. I think the way of working in Opsix brings a nicer way of doing the basic FM stuff and extend quite a bit on that too.

I looked briefly at Yamaha Reface DX, if that was the name, but seemed more cumbersome reminding me of TX81Z more.

In Opsix you have the operational mode of each operator in color that give you hint what mode an operator is in - of the 6.

So even having the basic FM stuff and much nicer way of working with it - is in itself really attractive. I would not bother with a DX7 approach today.

The way of working in it - if you watched to various youtube linked to in posts here on forum - some even in News forum before it was released - brings in itself a new approach.

Daniel Fischer thread here is really good to compare with anything else you work with.

This one Loopop go through modes if it clear up anything
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU8BMCAxlH4&ab_channel=loopop

Have a good 2021 whatever you decide to do.....
winddealer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the response. Correct, half a century Wink

What was not clear to me was that with modes, the modulation is done within the FM operator block and not at the output of the carrier side on the audio path.

The Korg website and Manual show a general routing diagram of the modes. I just wasn't clear whether the "modulation" was being done within the FM Block or outside of the block.

Will need research the manual again to determine if modes can be "combined" within the same algorithm. For example, where algorithm x has one stack configured for Mode A and the part of the other stack is configured with with Mode B.

Thank you again for your help.
Narioso

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not all sure either, watching Fischers, Loopop and SonicState or SonicLab or whatever it was.

I would like to see
- an algorithm
- move to one operator in that algorithm and change mode to maybe filter
- and move to another operator and change mode to something else

Something to clear this up how you can feed these into each other.

As I read "mode" it is exclusive mode for that operator.

And maybe see if there are algorithms or you can make a user one - to use in flexible ways. I guess it might be 1 or 2 carriers at bottom, and 4 at top of those and also some can be both. And if you can feed back anything at bottom up the chain again.

But I am not floored about the fm sounds yet. But as with every instrument you have to see what it offers. I have guitars, 8 total, and each have it's specific use, kind of. Same with synths, you don't need a synth to do everything.

Doing video too, and some sound design stuff serves well too. If it's $3000-$4000 or so you really want it to be more than one trick pony. But being $800 it's enough with a couple of tricks. Wavestate is rather specific to whirling pads sort of. But was rather floored with what I heard of Wavestate before purchase. Not with Opsix yet.
deano7000

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be a bit late to this conversation. The various modes are applied at the operator level.

For example, in FM mode, Op 1's frequency is being modulated by Op2.

In Filter FM mode, Op1 has his own filter. This filter's cutoff frequency can be modulated by Op2. In that mode, Op1 still generates a wave, (sin, saw, square, lots of others) but it has a local filter. This is a really great option. Modulating the local filter at audio rates can make sounds that are kind of... "furry".

In Ring Mod mode, Op1's amplitude can be modulated by Op2. Op1 still generates a sound, but it's just that his amplitude is being modulated.

Filter Mode is a bit different. Op1 doesn't make a sound by itself but it turns into a resonant filter that Op2 can be passed through.

Hope that all makes sense.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg opsix / SE All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: