Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Kronos Sound Expansion is the best?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blazerunner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:44 am    Post subject: What Kronos Sound Expansion is the best? Reply with quote

There seems to be lots of sound expansions on Korgs website to add to the Kronos but I never hear anyone talking about any of them. Is there a preferred expansion or a Kronos fan favorite? Are there some with more Modern sounds? like Trap Drums and Synth Wave type sounds? and not Toto or Jump? Cool
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

It all depends on personal taste and type of music you prefer, etc. One great feature of the Korg Kronos system is that you can install additional sound libraries in demo mode and play all their different programs before deciding to go ahead with a purchase. This is a big advantage over for example VST libraries where you only rely on online video/audio excerpts. Then once bought they might not feel/sound so good after all but it's too late as you can't return them. With the Kronos you can test all the library variations and how they respond while playing for real. So I recommend to install all the ones which can be interesting for you and try them in demo mode to see for yourself.
rei0429

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KRS Library are not able to hear sounds before purchase, so it's like a gamble.
I'm collecting almost for hobby.

IMO
for player, these are worth for paid (quality, variety etc.)

KRS-03 Nu Electro : good sound pressure
KRS-51 KARO Spinet Organs : found out KRS-50 bank is included actually
KRS-70 Most Wanted : must buy. sounds should be in the preset is included.
KRS-86 Live Worship : another must buy. basic keyboard sounds.

Many program in library are cheeper than presets or too excentric/effective.
though I know these are material or showcase for editing, but I wanted to play instantly
(Exs are same)
pete.m

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting subject and, like KK says, so much is down to personal taste.

I'm not too bothered about the Kronos sound expansion packs having a lack of 'modern' synth sounds, because it's possible to create pretty much any synth sound you want on a Kronos or on any decent synth module, and most of the sounds that I hear on today's electronic records haven't essentially changed that much down the years - it's more the degree to which they are processed that changes.
As for modern drum and percussion sounds, they are easy enough to find in free sample packs all over the web.

If I had to pick a favourite expansion, it would be one that gave me access to different piano sounds. I've always found the standard Kronos pianos a bit bland, and have made my own patches instead.

Personally, I'm surprised at how interchangeable sounds can be. Another user kindly uploaded some presets ages ago which included a perfect copy of a sound from a Foreigner record. I have no interest in Foreigner's music, and the music I make has no similarity to anything from that era, but this particular sound sits well with many completely unconnected styles. If it works, I just go with it.

Blazerunner, I liked your comment about Toto and Jump. Couldn't agree more!
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: What Kronos Sound Expansion is the best? Reply with quote

blazerunner wrote:
There seems to be lots of sound expansions on Korgs website to add to the Kronos but I never hear anyone talking about any of them. Is there a preferred expansion or a Kronos fan favorite? Are there some with more Modern sounds? like Trap Drums and Synth Wave type sounds? and not Toto or Jump? Cool

I depends on what you call "expansion" !!

It could be dedicated Kronos sound banks (as Kapro, Bolder, ec...)
It could be VSTs, It could be sampled real analog synth,
It could be other synths to play live beside the Kronos.

There are so many possibilities ! Finally, what do you call "expansion" ?
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: What Kronos Sound Expansion is the best? Reply with quote

blazerunner wrote:

I depends on what you call "expansion" !!

It could be dedicated Kronos sound banks (as Kapro, Bolder, ec...)
It could be VSTs, It could be sampled real analog synth,
It could be other synths to play live beside the Kronos.

There are so many possibilities ! Finally, what do you call "expansion" ?
holdsg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make money weekly playing "famous synth" programs such as Baba O'Riley, Won't Get Fooled Again, and Radio Ga-Ga. Couldn't do what I do in my tribute bands without the Kronos. To me, that one was the most valuable.

YMMV and IMHO
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: