Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sampling your own electric guitar?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
krslae

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Sampling your own electric guitar? Reply with quote

I come from more of a jazz background, so I've not been using too much of the guitar sounds on the Kronos (2013 model). However I'm in a Dream Theater tribute project and (though as a keyboardist) I'm in need of a good electric guitar for background riffs when needed.

I actually don't like any of the electric guitar sounds on my Kronos, and I think it's mostly because of the distortion FX which is kind of bad on the organ as well. Do you guys know of any sound libraries with great distorted guitar sounds? If not, have you any experience with sampling new sounds from a real electric guitar, meaning with all of the distortion straight from the guitar amp and no FX from within Kronos itself? I could do that, but I have no idea how the results would be because I've never done such a sample job before. Thanks for your help anyway Very Happy

Here is an example of the type of sound I'm looking for:
https://youtu.be/GqHSrJ2mLo0?t=150
pete.m

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this what you are looking for? There is a website selling Kronos sounds for all the sounds on each Dream Theater album.

If you watch the following 5 minute clip, you'll hear a lot of guitar-sounding patches that may well hit the spot.

Sorry I can't be more exact - I don't know the band, and just happened upon this vid the other day by chance - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDiGvggwIus
Gunnar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi krslae,

DT tribute sounds like a lot of fun (though I doubt I'd be up to the task).

I agree with you that high-gain guitar is not the Kronos' strongest point. I some times use the Cabinet Simulators, but I the guitar amp modelling has the wrong character (for guitars, that is, I use it quite often for lead sounds and for that it works perfectly).

I play guitar, but I'm a better keyboard player, so I had this idea when I first got the Kronos that I would sample a few types of riffing techniques and see what I could do with sampled high-gain guitars.. I lacked the necessary sampling/processing skill to make it great, though :p

A few learning points for me:
- If you sample a lead guitar sound, keep in mind that the left hand is almost never still. There is almost always some level vibrato, trill or other accent effect. The sampled lead sound was utterly dead in comparison because it lacked the "feel". Pitch joystick can help a bit with this.
- Picking vs finger down vs yank-on-finger-up to pick the note. They all sound different and distinguishing between them on the keyboard is hard. One should in theory get a bit closer by doing something with envelope triggering and monophonic legato settings.
- Through high-gain distortion, a 5th chord sound vastly different than the sum of its two notes, so sampling pre-fx you need both, but how to select one or the other while playing? With post-sampling FX like the amp/cab simulators, this happens automatically, but if you do distortion pre-sampling, you won't have this option.
- Plam mute vs open playing. Again, vastly different sound and chances are your fingers are busy playing something else so it will be difficult to spare a finger to switch, and besides, a "riff" is typically intermixing these rapidly.

For your case, in a DT tribute band, playing the guitar will mostly be about filling in with some distortion while the guitarist is doing some lead stuff. Depending on the song and what you need to fill in, you'll want either pre-sampled chords or pre-sampled open-hand single notes and play that along with the bass. The finer details of finger picking and such will be lost next to your other hand playing synth, what the bassist and lead guitarist are doing, so it shouldn't matter too much. Also, in the studio, guitars are heavily layered, so if you sample an open hand single tone, you can fatten it up with some stereo delay. Set it to 20ms Left and 40ms Right and no feedback, for instance to create a doubling effect.

Note that Rudess is also doubling a lot of guitars with pure synth sounds, like his signature Snarling Pig sound. That one along with distortion bass, might be quite sufficient on its own. And then some strings/choir/organ to fill out as well.
keithmaclroz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, honestly, I just go with the classic one! But if you still feel like you want to switch to a different one, then here you go: https://middermusic.com/fender-play-review/ . In general, jazz is somewhat different from what I perform, but I don’t think he’s trying to impede using the tool that I have shared with you. I really hope that you’ll find it helpful and that your performances are going to get better and better. Don’t forget to share a video with us! Best of luck in new beginnings!!!
beccaslan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad to hear something like this from a jazz representative. The fact that you are developing in other fields is worthy of ugliness and appreciation nowadays. In this case, here is the link https://mandolinexpert.com/what-are-good-mandolin-brands/ where you can also find what are good mandolin brands. That is, different stringed instruments are sold here. You can even do a few lessons if you feel like you still can't sing well enough on the bass. In any case, I hope I helped you, and I wish you much success in the goal you set.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: