Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Distorted sound from all outputs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alcokorg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject: Distorted sound from all outputs Reply with quote

Hi.
This my first time asking for help on this forum, and I hope someone can advise. I couldn't find satisfying answer to my problem in the archives.
Few days ago, I connected left output from M50 to Scarlet 4i4 interface using stereo jack cable. It didn't work. Coincidence or not, when I replaced the connection with mono jack cable it worked, but the output sound wasn’t clean anymore. As soon as I hit a key bit harder or play a chord, I get distorted sound. This also includes headphones output. Any ideas? Is it possible that I damaged something with stereo jack cable?

Thanks
Alex
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible that the 4i4 phantom power was turned on?

alcokorg

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:30 pm    Post subject: Distorted sound from all outputs Reply with quote

Hi.

It wasn't. I'm 100% sure.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not an easy issue to troubleshoot. Distortion can be caused by a fault in the mute circuit. The mute circuit keeps the M50 outputs low until the M50 circuitry has stabilised after power on, to prevent possible damage to ears, amplifiers and speakers. A fault could be caused by a high voltage transient being applied to the M50's output e.g. by phantom power, hence my question, or by two different bits of equipment being connected whilst powered on. I've known laptops with "grounds" or chassis to be sitting at well in excess of 100V AC relative to mains supply ground, during operation using their mains power supply, and any connected equipment, such as the Focusrite, would be sharing that ground via the USB ground connection.

It would be useful to determine if the distortion is present on the main Volume potentiometers, and then go from there. This could be a job for a keyboard tech.

roc1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem and fixed it. It was caused by a bad electrolytic capacitor in the muting circuit that caused it to only partially release. It is in the area of the IO board between the output jacks and the power switch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M50 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: