Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

It's a good time for a fresh start

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Studio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-xDesertEaglex-

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:59 am    Post subject: It's a good time for a fresh start Reply with quote

I have been playing a TR-88 for so long, there is one particular feature I have been using since I bought this KB, I would like to know if this feature is something I can also do in a Korg Studio, I am planing purchasing a Korg Studio but, I want to make sure I can do this otherwise I won't buy it. As all of you might know, both Synths the TR-88 and the Studio 76 have a very similar OS and UI, so I am guessing this is something possible.

When I bought my TR-88 I also bought Memory modules and installed them in the Synth. Every time I power my TR-88 on, I go to the Media menu, select and open the folder I want to open, (this is from an SD Card, the TR-88 can use up to 2 GB of memory cards) so after opening the main folder in the SD card, I upload a unique sound I was able to find online, the famous Dyno Piano (Korg 01/W Pro - Combi B88 but much better, it has 6 layers of sampling, it's just beautiful), then about 5 mins after loading the new sound it works perfectly fine.

My problem with the TR-88 is it's weight, this Synth weights almost 55 Lbs, I have torn its case completely because it's a really heavy Synth, so I want to sell it and move to something similar but definitely lighter, this why I am thinking about a Studio either 61 or 76 keys, however I wonder if I am going to be able to upload this same sound via CD unit to this Synth, either the Studio 61 or 76.

Can it be done?
Does it need any memory modules, or does it come with memory installed already?
If needed, are these parts still available in 2021?

Now, you might ask, why not just getting something newer?

I also have the Korg Kronos X88, but the files for this sound (Dyno Piano) are not meant for this OS, I have tried to upload it, but it doesn't work, it would be great if they can work in it, this is actually a lighter Synth by 3-4 Lbs.

So I go back to my main questions:

Can it be done?
Does it need any memory modules, or does it come with memory installed already?
If needed, are these parts still available in 2021?
bpoodoo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TR and Studio both use HI synthesis, so the menus for modifying sounds should look the same. The TR allows 1 insert effect the Studio allows 5. The internal PCM ROM samples are different between TR and Studio. Consequently, your existing TR programs/combis probably aren't directly compatible with the Studio, even if the .PCG files load.

It sounds like you're loading the Dyno piano as multisamples. So you're probably loading a top-level .KSC file which then loads all the referenced .KMP, KSF files and optionally the .PCG file to load the Dyno Piano programs/combis. I don't know for sure though if these sample file formats are compatible between TR and Studio - they should be.

The Studio has up to 96Mb of sample RAM memory across three 16Mb or 32Mb SIMM cards. The TR accommodates two SIMM cards. I don't know if the sample RAM memory modules (SIMM) are transferable between the two, so to be safe, the Studio needs to have that memory already installed (or you'd need to buy it). Capacity-wise, the Studio should be able to accommodate the samples.

The Studio has no SD card slot. So you'll have to use a different method for loading the sounds at startup. The Studio has a hard drive, floppy drive, SCSI interface, and optionally a CD-RW drive. An issue will be how you get these Dyno Piano samples files into the Studio and load them each time at start up (fastest would be from the hard drive).

A lot of if's and uncertainties. You really need to be hands-on with the Studio to see if it will work, and to know what TR programs/combis you now use which may not transfer or have the equivalent on the Studio because of built-in PCM ROM differences.

And the Studio is no lightweight in terms of actual weight. There are many lightweight keyboards that have a similar Dyno piano sound that would start up immediately and could be used right out of the box, but that's not the question you asked Smile
-xDesertEaglex-

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bpoodoo wrote:
It sounds like you're loading the Dyno piano as multisamples. So you're probably loading a top-level .KSC file which then loads all the referenced .KMP, KSF files and optionally the .PCG file to load the Dyno Piano programs/combis. I don't know for sure though if these sample file formats are compatible between TR and Studio - they should be.

The Studio has up to 96Mb of sample RAM memory across three 16Mb or 32Mb SIMM cards. The TR accommodates two SIMM cards. I don't know if the sample RAM memory modules (SIMM) are transferable between the two, so to be safe, the Studio needs to have that memory already installed (or you'd need to buy it). Capacity-wise, the Studio should be able to accommodate the samples.

The Studio has no SD card slot. So you'll have to use a different method for loading the sounds at startup. The Studio has a hard drive, floppy drive, SCSI interface, and optionally a CD-RW drive. An issue will be how you get these Dyno Piano samples files into the Studio and load them each time at start up (fastest would be from the hard drive).

A lot of if's and uncertainties. You really need to be hands-on with the Studio to see if it will work, and to know what TR programs/combis you now use which may not transfer or have the equivalent on the Studio because of built-in PCM ROM differences.

And the Studio is no lightweight in terms of actual weight. There are many lightweight keyboards that have a similar Dyno piano sound that would start up immediately and could be used right out of the box, but that's not the question you asked Smile

You are pretty much correct, this is exactly what I do every time I turn the synth on. Yes even when the studio is not lightweight, still it has between 10 to 20 fewer pounds, however now that you bring this up, what other options do you have in mind? Is there a possibility that I can also upload these multi sample sounds in a newer lighter Synth?

The Krome series is also a no go, I have tried this already and no it doesn’t work unfortunately, similar to the Kronos
bpoodoo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A TR 61 key would obviously be the best option for replacement in terms of portability. But the used pricing seems kind of ridiculous on those right now.

A Triton Extreme 61 key may be your next best option in terms of compatibility and portability to load your Dyno Piano samples. It has an SD card slot. The load time is slow but probably the same as the TR. A Triton Extreme has all the built-in PCM ROM sounds as a Studio plus lot more.

A Triton classic 61 could also load your Dyno piano samples, if it has the sample memory SIMM cards and the extra aftermarket adapter to allow SD cards to be used with an existing floppy or SCSI interface. That's a little bit more of a risky option since you're dealing with 3rd party add-ons, but it might work.

Again, I'm not 100% sure that these sample files would load the same as the TR but I think they should.

As for a newer lower-cost portable 61 or 73/76 keyboards with good electric piano sounds, though they wouldn't be able to load your Dyno piano sample, some that would make my short list would be Kross 2, Roland Juno DS, Yamaha MX, or a used Yamaha MOX/MOXF/MODX.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Studio All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: