Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PA800 Boots up but then freezes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa2XPro - Pa800 - Pa500
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rockitman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: PA800 Boots up but then freezes Reply with quote

My Korg PA800 boots up but once I try and touch any control or key, it displays the Rt-acc slider in the window and freezes up. For awhile that only happened when I touched the Alpha Dial and the keyboard was still usable, but now it is any control or key after successful bootup.

I was hoping that someone would PM me the diagnostic mode instructions so I could troubleshoot. I am an electrical engineer with experience repairing keyboards. I realize my PA800 is an old arranger, but I wanted to at least try before I moved on. I might have upgraded years ago but the PA800 was meeting my arranger needs.

Any other help or advice is also appreciated.

Rockitman...

Thanks to this forum for many years of support, it's truly a great cyber place
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: PA800 Boots up but then freezes Reply with quote

Rockitman wrote:
.. My Korg PA800 boots up but once I try and touch any control or key, it displays the Rt-acc slider in the window and freezes up...

To completely clean up the internal SSD memory download and use the Pa800 Format utility (Pa800_Format.pkg).

But be warned: formatting the SSD memory, all internal data (both Factory and User) are deleted, and must be reloaded from the original “Pa800_os_res_v[nnn].pkg” package (OperatingSystem + MusicalResources), so - if possible - back-up your data before formatting the SSD memory.
In case the SSD will be corrupted it is necessary formating NAND before starting with format utility (Pa800_Format.pkg)
How to Start the TEST MODE for NAND format: Pressing the [STYLE PLAY] and the [MEDIA], turn the power on, and continue to pressing until the service menu is displayed. Confirm that big noise is not heard when power on. After the service menu is displayed, press the [PAD 4] to start the NAND FORMAT.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
Rockitman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thank You very Much for the info. With your help, now I hope to get my PA800 working again. Very Happy
Rockitman

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 4:51 pm    Post subject: PA800 Bus Error Reply with quote

I did the NAND format, formattd the SSD, reloaded the OS and Resources.
The PA800 booted and comes up, but I noticed that the resources did not really load, because that step took no time. The resource names are there.
You can navigate around, but there is no sound coming from the keyboard
when you play keys.

I retested the RAM and I still get TGL Ram Bank 2/2 Test "Bus Error"
The speakers pass test as does the MP3 test. So sound output is possible.

I wonder if replacing the RAM might do the trick as everything else seems to be working. Any thoughts on that? or am I wasting my time and it's time for a new arranger.

regards,

Rockitman
Rockitman

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 12:30 pm    Post subject: 64MB RAM Reply with quote

So now I am lo0king to buy the 64mb RAM card. However I am not finding one. I did find a 128mb card that the website says will work.
Any advice on that?
I had heard of folks going to a larger RAM, I thought that might need an OS update? is that true?

Thanks for reading.

Rockitman
musiccankill
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to download the 120+Mb pa800 OS_RES pkg , not the OS and then the RES as these don't have the rom sample data!
After that ,as you don't get ram bank1/2 error , factory sounds should work fine!
You can then find an 128Mb module and put it inside or even 256Mb one!
If you leave the stock os it will just work as an 64Mb module without any issues!
Keep in mind that the issue may not only be the RAM module but the CPU board itself too and given the issue with lockups i suspect that is the case.
Even if it works ok at first, after a few cycles of heat and cold (power on for hours and power off) it could do the same again ...

Korg keyboards owned now: PA5X 61 ,PA300, Triton extreme 61, Korg 707, Trinity plus
Rockitman

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 11:19 am    Post subject: 64MB RAM Reply with quote

Thank you for the info. I appreciate you taking the time to help.
The ram is hard to find but affordable so I will give it a try.
I have accepted that I probably need a new arranger.
My PA800 has been a great keyboard and I will be looking at the PA1000
or PA4X if I need a new one. Thanks again.
musiccankill
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am following the thread so if you need anything else ask here and i ll reply as soon as i can!
In case you are about to buy a new one,go for the 1000 or wait for 5x!
4x is out of production as far as i know!

Korg keyboards owned now: PA5X 61 ,PA300, Triton extreme 61, Korg 707, Trinity plus
Rockitman

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 6:50 pm    Post subject: New Arranger Reply with quote

I, like many of us, have to waiting to see if a PA5X would appear.
I think your advice is right. especially since I was very happy with the PA800,
that the PA1000 would be a logical choice. I had a real good show programmed into my PA800, that would translate easily to the PA1000 or a PA4x even.
However with the PA4x out of production and used units rare and expensive. The choice for me is clear. Again many thanks! Your advice is spot on.
Rockitman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:56 pm    Post subject: 128mb Module Reply with quote

So I got a 128mb RAM, and carefully installed it.
I Ran the service mode test again and it still says RAM2 test fail.
It did try and load musical resources on one two boots, but it never finished loading. I figure it is CPU board as you suspected.
Does anyone want a PA800 for parts? I am going to look into getting a PA5x.
Thanks for the help and support.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa2XPro - Pa800 - Pa500 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: