Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how to work DAW / MIDI / in pa1000?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
altemar mirandiña

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: how to work DAW / MIDI / in pa1000? Reply with quote

We all know that there is very little information in the korg pa 1000 manuals regarding how to work via MIDI and an external DAW - and I have been using korg pa 80 - and the pa1x - and it is always a big problem to be able to to be able to use the MIDI connection and work in a DAW like pro tools and others, and also! There is almost no information, such as making audio samples in wav format on the same keyboard for 1000. There is very little we can do and the language it is even more difficult ----- for example - what does the word - "random" mean? And so I have searched on youtube and there is almost nothing about it and my suggestion is to help each other in this difficult situation --- the point - we are in the modern era - but it seems strange that it seems! that the midi connection and the korg pa 1000 keyboard is a mountain of problems. the midi has been in use for almost 20 years, but it seems that the technology of korg and other instruments has not yet reached the light, to simplify things ---- is it really that difficult to do that? and not complicate life, to such an extent, that one has to be a great computer systems engineer, to be able to understand something as simple as midi - in advance, thank you in advance if anyone dares to participate in this new thread and together we grow in knowledge. Receive a cordial greeting --and blessings--
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: how to work DAW / MIDI / in pa1000? Reply with quote

altemar mirandiña wrote:
... there is very little information in the korg pa 1000 manuals regarding how to work via MIDI and an external DAW ...

I share your opinion that the Pa1000 manuals generally are not sufficient to use the instrument as efficiently as possible with its properties and features.
MIDI between Pa1000 and DAW works like any other MIDI connection - the transmitter sends its data over a midi channel from its MIDI out port to the MIDI in port over a midi channel of the receiver. The channel of midi-out of the transmitter must be connected and set to the same channel of midi-in of the receiver. The recipient must be able to interpret the sender's data.
Without a specific question there is nothing more to say about "how to work via MIDI".

** MIDI
If the MIDI connections are causing problems, it is not the Pa1000. Rather, it is due to a lack of understanding of this powerful system, which, due to its diverse configuration options, does not work as easily as plug-and-play.

If MIDI users can read and interpret the implementation chart of the midi transmitter and the midi receiver correctly, a large part of the so-called "MIDI problems" with MIDI connections is solved.

In most cases of MIDI complaints it turns out again and again that this basic basic knowledge is already missing. That has absolutely nothing to do with whether and in which modern era we are, but with whether we are out of the implementation chart, recognize the connections, how and which data one would like to exchange, for example between Pro-Tool and a Pa-Arranger. You don't have to be a systems technician to do this, but unless you already have the basic technical understanding of it, MIDI problems will persist for the next twenty years.

altemar mirandiña wrote:
... the midi connection and the korg pa 1000 keyboard is a mountain of problems ...

Can not see a mountain of midi problems, but it turns out that the MIDI problems often are very trivial, but not even the information is get that is necessary to answer a question can be obtained eg:

which data is sent by device A, via which channel it is sent, is there a data filter on the sending side, which data is to be received by device B, via which channel it is to receive it, is there a data filter on the input side, it has been checked whether the data from device A is have been sent, has it been checked whether the data has arrived at device B etc?

** SAMPLES
I also share your opinion that the manuals of the Pa1000 are not sufficient to create high-quality and optimized user sounds and user drum kits from samples.
The manual of the Pa1000 describes with "Making new sounds with Sampling" on 40 pages how to create samples and multisamples, record, load, import, edit, use etc.
The same applies here as with MIDI: Basic knowledge of sampling techniques or the formats of imported/loaded samples (WAV, sf2, midi loops) cannot be expected from the Pa-1000 manuals.
The instructions in the manual, which are important for the Pa-arranger, should, however, be read and understood.

It is not stated in Pa1000 manual that with Pa1000 samples can be made in WAV format. You can record sounds / audio grooves but their results are written to internal memory (no WAV).
Described is an alternative to record it is possible loading individual samples or to import sounds or multisamples and their assigned samples.
In case of deep differences with KORG’s own format some sample files - maybe instruments from the Sf2 files with overlapping zones - could not be imported or it is necessary to take into account individual parameters of these samples in the sound editor. Knowledge of these parameters from foreign samples cannot be expected to be conveyed in the Pa manual.
altemar mirandiña wrote:
... if anyone dares to participate in this new thread and together we grow in knowledge ...

Of course it can be worked on this thread to expand knowledges - but to be able to understand something as simple as MIDI, basic knowledge and the willingness to specifically formulate questions and also to answer questions specifically are needed.
Your question "making audio samples in wav format on the same keyboard for 1000": Audio samples in WAV format can not be made with Pa1000, but you can LOAD, edit and write it to internal memory - you also can EXPORT each sample in WAV format.

altemar mirandiña wrote:
... but it seems that the technology of korg and other instruments has not yet reached the light, to simplify things ...

For me it does not seem so - I never would ask Korg to simplify things, because that ends with some features are missing in the next series of Pa keyboards or are so poorly executed, that they can no longer be used as we had with their predecessors. unfortunately there are some examples that I have already published in this forum.

altemar mirandiña wrote:
.... what does the word - "random" mean? ... I have searched on youtube ...

I wouldn't ask youtube for serious answers - if my English is ok I think random means coincidence (port: aleatória)

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
altemar mirandiña

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: siebnhtirter hil friends Reply with quote

siebenhirter --- yes, thanks for your answer, I appreciate it. Yes, I certainly know something about midi transmission using a daw -the issue of channels and all that- but I still think it can (simplify all that) I have days working with my daw pro tools 10 hd and after 2 years I came back to want you record a song with the pro tools 10 sequencer and I have suffered the same knowledge problems for almost 5 years to date (the same thing happened to me with the pa 80 and the pa 1x and now with the pa 1000 it seems that neither the usb cable device helps me a lot, I'm still struggling to find how to connect via midi the daw pro tools and the pa 1000) and related to the case of (making sounds is a lot of challenge and hundreds to make a new sound with the sound editor in it (SOUND) mode! and of this there is nothing at all in the manuals! just something very simple at the beginning of all the sound editing (with the many strange names of so many "edit buttons") that many users have no idea we have all those buttons for you --- (you do the mo movements and you see almost no change in the sound - maybe some envelope like a "vibrato"
something like that in your sound that you are working there ---- (with the issue of wav samples - if I already know that the pa 1000 uses PCG and PCM and there are still things that I do not understand very well) for example the manual says that can be loaded to the pa sampler 1000 Wav AND AIFF samples - and well - I'll go back to studying the manual a little more - and we hope that other friends can contribute their experience on all this --- have a good day - --and --- (if I more or less understand the term "random" or at least I have an idea ---) thank you and --the best for you --have a good day ----
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject: DAW and MIDI in Pa1000 Reply with quote

altemar mirandiña wrote:
... suffered the same knowledge problems for almost ...
... same thing happened to me with the pa 80 and the pa 1x and now with the pa 1000 it seems that neither the usb cable device helps me ...
... still struggling to find how to connect via midi the daw pro tools and the pa 1000 ...

I you have suffered knowledge problems for years that has nothing to do with Pa80 or Pa1000 and on the other hand, using a USB cable does not help either.
Again - to the complaint of a general lack of knowledge to connect two devices (MIDI Basics) without your concrete questions it is not possible to contribute experiences.
siebenhirter wrote:
.. midi problems often are very trivial, but not even the information is get that is necessary to answer a question can be obtained eg:
which data is sent by device A, via which channel it is sent, is there a data filter on the sending side, which data is to be received by device B, via which channel it is to receive it, is there a data filter on the input side, it has been checked whether the data from device A is have been sent, has it been checked whether the data has arrived at device B etc? ....

It really would be nice if you could specifically formulate questions and state which problems arise in your individual processing steps. There are some more questions necessary to be answered:
Did you connect Pa1000 with DAW as described in Manual, did you install the USB-Driver, how did you connect Pa1000 with DAW, did you activate MIDI-thru on DAW, did you deselect the Local Control and did you set the instrument to the Local Off, are you in sequencer mode, did you play the keyboard etc etc?

Basically MIDI configured as described will be transmitted correct; the receiver must be set on the same channel of the transmitter - what is sent on a channel will be received on same channel.
altemar mirandiña wrote:
..to make a new sound with the sound editor in it (SOUND) mode! and of this there is nothing at all in the manuals! just something very simple at the beginning of all the sound editing (with the many strange names of so many "edit buttons") that many users have no idea we have all those buttons for you ..

This is not true at all, because the sound editing is described in a relatively extensive manner on 120 pages of the Pa1000 manual (manual part VII - Customizing and editing sounds).

If you have specific questions about this, please ask these questions specifically, because "strange names" are not found here, but are either described or it are terms that are quite common for sound editing.

When editing the sound of the Pa keyboards, it is gratifying that there are "so many edit buttons" - this also applies to the sampler. Also if you find the setting options of a well-parameterizable sound generator bothering you, I think there are many users - me too - that have no idea to create their sounds as requested without all those buttons !

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de

Last edited by siebenhirter on Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

altemar mirandiña wrote:
for example - what does the word - "random" mean? And so I have searched on youtube and there is almost nothing about it

"random" is not a PA1000 term, it's just a regular English word. To find out what it means, you'd check a dictionary, not youtube. Basically, it means unpredictable, arbitrary, having no pattern.
equality

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This my first post and I hope I don't hijack the thread by asking a few MIDI-questions?
I have connected my newly bought PA1000 to DAW (Cakewalk by Bandlab). The midi chords (instrument sound AND style) played on the PA1000 is sent to Cakewalk but when this program sends the recorded midi back to the PA1000 it would only play sound e g grand piano but not the style. This is the case with MIDI preset 01 Default, 03 Player 1, 04 Player 2. With 02 Master Kbd the Pa1000 freezes Shocked and 08 Tablet leaves the KORG completely silent. I also tried the various settings for external sequencer mastering a KORG PA presented in this video for ProTools and these notoriously cause Cakewalk to crash. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eHgTEjZH9U&list=FLeQcUV3aFF0ELGswyQVKySg&index=2
So, I am able to play various instrument's sound via Cakewalk midi out but the great styles in PA1000 remain silent. Any suggestion is most wellcome! Smile
Greetings!
Mikael
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:15 pm    Post subject: Midi sequencing Reply with quote

equality wrote:
.. PA1000 to DAW (Cakewalk by Bandlab). The midi chords instrument sound AND style) played on the PA1000 is sent to Cakewalk but when this program sends the recorded midi back to the PA1000 it would only play sound e g grand piano but not the style. ..

No, via MIDI you did not send instruments sound and styles sound, but only MIDI-Notes-Events of Keyboard or Style tracks.

Your forgot to send all that settings of your tracks that are necessary to be recorded in an inital measures of your recording before fist note of any track. Theses settings with Bank Select, Program, Volume, Pan, Effect settings and all sound settings of each track (keyboard tracks and style tracks) are necessary to be recorded, if you want that a recorded sequence should let your instrument play, just as you set it up manually or via saved registrations before recording.

This is not a peculiarity of Cubase or Korg, but applies to the use of any sequencer software with which you want to record your keyboards playing with or without a style player.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: