Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Nautilus Keys
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RDBoon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, appreciate this thread is a little old, but it appears to be the only thread I can see anywhere online that refers to this 'black key nautilus issue', and it is, without question an issue, because I've had two 73's in the last week, both brand new from a highly reputable music equipment retailer in the UK, and both have had one black key (not the same key) that makes this exact spring/clacky noise, which although doesn't appear to actually prevent the key playing normally in any way, it is of course incredibly annoying! This unit currently costs close to two grand, so I just cannot bring myself to accept it and live with it. Looks like I'm either going to try 3rd time lucky or just send it back and forget it.

It's such a shame because I happen to actually love the keybed in general, it's a million times nicer to play that my MODX 7, and I also think the Nautilus sounds seriously good in general (but then so it should with those Kronos engines).

But I just can't forgive this, it's incredibly irritating, and if I've had two of these both with this problem in the same week, then this must be a widespread problem surely? Interestingly, as someone else has mentioned, all seemed fine on my second unit out of the box, it developed the noise after a few hours of solid play. I also had a 61 before these briefly that seemed fine, but I didn't keep it more than a few days before trading it for the 73 so I don't know if it would have developed on that, but the keys are identical to my understanding.

Further to this, when I actually took the unit out of its box, three of the keys right in the middle were very odd, they sounded awful and the pressure and resistance on them was all kinds of wrong, but after 'fiddling' with them for a bit there was a loud 'click' and then they worked perfectly, it's as if they weren't sat or aligned correctly and needed pressing down into position properly. This concerns me, as this is a manufacturing issue.

My biggest concern with this unit now, is that even if I get a third one that doesn't have any such key problems on day one, are they going to develop after a few days or even weeks? I.e. beyond my return window! Leaves me wondering if I should give up on it entirely.

Annoying!
B10

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject: RDBOOM Korg Nautilus Keys Reply with quote

i got the 88 key which is heavy almost like piano keys and the spring noise is gone. you will still here the keys when you press but not the spring annoying noise. that's the only way , all the 73 key ones are going to be a problem.
RDBoon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: RDBOOM Korg Nautilus Keys Reply with quote

B10 wrote:
i got the 88 key which is heavy almost like piano keys and the spring noise is gone. you will still here the keys when you press but not the spring annoying noise. that's the only way , all the 73 key ones are going to be a problem.

B10 - I have also considered the 88, but it's a little overkill for my intended use of the nautilus. I use an 88 as my main studio controller, and also have a piano, so I'm perfectly used to 88 hammer action and I love it generally, but I specifically wanted the 73 because it's lighter and easier to move, doesn't take up as much space, doesn't cost as much and also I quite like playing semi weighted synth keys for synth sounds.

I read your earlier comments regarding the 88 keys, you were not impressed, I take it you kept it though?

It's such a shame regarding the keybed on the 73, because it really is lovely to play generally.
nitecrawler
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: RDBOOM Korg Nautilus Keys Reply with quote

B10 wrote:

Sorry to hear about your issue, but a qualification on your observation. My particular 73 key Nautilus has NO key click issues whatsoever. That being said, let us hope nothing crops up in the future. Cool

Montage M7, Pa5x76, Nautilus, PA3Xle, Oasys 76, Mini-Moog, EMU Audity 2000, Motion Sound KBR 3D amp, Presonus and Reaper DAW W/Tannoy Reveal 501A powered monitors
B10

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:57 pm    Post subject: Korg Nautilus Keys Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your issue, but a qualification on your observation. My particular 73 key Nautilus has NO key click issues whatsoever. That being said, let us hope nothing crops up in the future.

Good for you. you got lucky lol !
mate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced my Korg Nautilus-88 with a new one, but there is still keybed problem: 4 black keys make that spring noise when you play it.
Solistra

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone found out what is causing this issue with the black keys?

I just bought a used Nautilus 61 and it has a clicky/spring-like sound on the D# nearest the left end of the keyboard.

I didn't notice it when I tested the board because we had the volume up and it only really becomes apparent when the volume is low or off.

On the one hand, I am glad I didn't pay full price for a new one, but then I would have had a warranty and could have returned it for a replacement or refund. But on the other, I did get it at a really good price so perhaps I can live with it. The noise doesn't affect playability at all, and when the volume is up I don't notice it.

What does surprise me though is that this problem exists at all!
Solistra

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I could not find any reference online to what caused this issue with the noisy black keys, I decided to open my Nautilus 61 and fix it myself, which I did.

The issue is simply caused by the springs not sitting properly under the key. It is a very simple arrangement and because the springs sit directly on metal, if they don't sit properly they scrape the metal when you depress the key and that is what creates the spring-type noise.

I have photos but from what I can tell this forum version is so old it makes attaching them a bit of a faff. When was the last time this forum was updated?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: