Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Silent programs - 'frozen' loops

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavestate / MkII / SE
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nemo0

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Silent programs - 'frozen' loops Reply with quote

When creating new performances, i find that some of the programs are silent when i audition them onto new layers - why is that ?
Initially i thought it was because of repeats being off, or the timing lane being set to tempo mode ( not sure what that is yet) - but no, other programs with those setting sound on key press - so what am I not understanding yet?

likewise some programs or sequences have loops with that don't step even though they have loop starts and ends that are many steps apart. I set them to loop from start to finish (eg. a1-a9) - but they don't step along when played - the editor shows them as being on the single sample for the duration of a held note/chord.

speaking of newb confusions - when playing the init performance - and setting the sample loop to a1-a1 , why am i still hearing the saw modulate as if a LFO is mod-ing the amplitude (or is that the filter). The init performance doesn't seem to have an LFO mod-ing it - just that triangle shape layer - but when i change the shape the sound remains the same !?
urgh - learning this beast is still posing more questions than answers Wink
sparkse

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

re: the second question about the Init Performance, the slight modulation you hear is because the performance consists of a single 1 second long "Step" of the Sine wave with a 0.8 second crossfade into the next step - and while it is "the same" step in terms of parameters, it will be played by a different voice of the synthesizer and this second instance of the sine wave is not locked in phase with the first instance already playing. So for 0.8 of a second you are hearing the same sample being played in two different phases, crossfading from one to the other. To quickly disable this, press Timing to open the timing lane. Select step A1, and change the "Type" field from "Note" to "Gate". Gate steps will play until the key is released, instead of crossfading to the next step - this should give you what you expect as a standard basic synth sound.

I do recommend adjusting the Init patch to your liking, and then saving it as a new patch with Shift+Write. If you rename it to add another blank space to the start - " Init" - it will appear first in the list, above the factory patch.

as to the first part of your post, it's complicated because there could be different reasons for different programs. I first would check that the MIDI Clock source is set correctly, ie. to Internal or Auto if you are not supplying clock from another device. The setting is on Page 2 of the Utility tab. It's also possible that programs have lanes in "Note Advance" mode, where the lane only progresses with each individual keypress.

Hope that helps!
Nemo0

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super explanation on the init patch Sparkse - i get whats going on now.
PS- yep, that worked. Wink

I'll have a look into your other suggestion (re: silent programs and 'stuck' sample loops) today. Im pretty sure midi clock is set to internal as i havent connected it to a sequencer/DAW yet; and as for note advance, that makes sense, however some of the programs (or was it a wave seq) didn't sound on the first, second, third press etc. Probs just me being a total newb (first synth) but trying to 'reverse engineer' these factory performances/programs/wave seq /etc - presets is my way of learning how to create my own performances, and so far I still suck at working out whats going on.

THANKS KORG FOR THE EDITOR - without it i'd have no idea whats happening in the lanes

One day ...

you have been a great help - Thanks m8 Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavestate / MkII / SE All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: