Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

editing send level to MFX in a combi?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pax-eterna.1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:24 am    Post subject: editing send level to MFX in a combi? Reply with quote

Ok I am in a combi (in this case User -CC 019) I want to change the MFX reverb, but I also want to reduce the send level of the bass to said MFX...

I went through all of the tabs along the bottom, but could not locate anything that is active...

There is a "greyed out" strip of send levels to MFX, but that was about all.

Any help appreciated, thanks!
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no Combi User-CC019. Even with the latest Kronos operating software, Combis can only have single letter Bank designations. I wonder if there may be some confusion between Prog and Combi, per the thread entitled: "Selecting XX banks. manual instruction does not work..."

The MFX reverb type can be changed in the MFX Routing tab. Tap on the arrows next to the effect name to see the list of available effects. The effect parameters themselves can be edited in the MFX1 and MFX2 tabs. All of the reverb effects have a pre-effect equaliser, where it should be possible to change the frequency response characteristics.

pax-eterna.1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

Unfortunately your description of the the efx was NOT what I was asking about (regardless of whether the use of the term Combi or Prog is wrong or right.)

I do not need to know the parameter editing, I can do that it's easy enough, nor do I need frequency response characteristics, ALL I was asking is were one can adjust the send level of a part to the MFX block.

Re the other yes I think I should have written Prog instead...but if you go to user prog CC 09, you will see it is a split (hence my mistake of calling it a combi, as it is, well, a combination of sounds!!)

Instead of trying to prove me wrong, a simple correction of my terminology, but THEN addressing the actual question would have been far more constructive!

I understand you were trying to help, however in this case there was zero help and mostly opinion.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only trying to help. The pre-FX equaliser does have a Trim parameter, which effectively can be used to alter the send level to the effect.

pax-eterna.1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
Only trying to help. The pre-FX equaliser does have a Trim parameter, which effectively can be used to alter the send level to the effect.

ok thanks - seems to a bit odd to have to adjust send levels to an efx but if it works??

cheers
KorganizR

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding adjustment of the send level to the MFX:

This should be set in one of two places, dependent on whether you use insert effects (IFX) on the EXi's of the program or not. Just to be complete (Kronos terminology can be a bit confusing for new users), a synthesized program on the Kronos can consist of one or two EXi's (Expansion Instruments). Think of an EXi as a one of two parts of a (synthesized) program. So each EXi is running one synthesizer engine of a program.

Now to answer your question:

1) If in the tab IFX | Routing | Bus Select (IFX/Indiv.Out Assign) the value for "EXi1&2 to" is set to "L/R", then in the same tab under "EXi MFX Send" the send levels to MFX1 and MFX2 can be specified.

2) However, in the program that you mentioned, the Bus select value for EXi1&2 is probably not set to "L/R", but to an IFX (e.g. "IFX1"). So in that case the "EXi MFX Send" area in the lower section of the screen is indeed "greyed out", because the Send levels are applied *after* the insert effect(s). In that case you will need to go to another tab, i.e. IFX | Insert FX, where in the two very last columns you can specify the values for "Send1" (to MFX1) and "Send2" (to MFX2). Obviously, you need to pick the appropriate row for the appropriate effect chain.

Just to be complete, on the Kronos there are also sampled programs (HD-1 engine), in which case the terminology is different. Instead of EXi1 and EXi2, the names on the Kronos UI are OSC1 and OSC2, but for the rest, the Effects section works the same way. Also, in Combination and Sequencer modes (although addressing 16 programs in total), the effects section works very similar.

Hope this helps.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Program CC019 on the Kronos here is "Brush Dry/Amb2 Kit, SL1/2" and, based on how the thread has evolved, post by post, I suspect the program on which the original posting was based is something completely different. Taking a guess, it is "A.Bass & Italian Grand", which sits at Program slot CC019 on the Kronos SE, and would cast a rather different light on the question.

If this is, indeed the Program in the original question, then the answer is rather different, since it suggests that the Bass Oscillator send is to be altered, rather than the bass (i.e. low frequency) component entering the Master Effect:

Looking at the Control Surface to the left of the screen, press the Timbre/Track button in the Control Assign column. In the Mix Select buttons row, press the second button, to choose the second Oscillator in this Program i.e. the Bass part. Now, knobs 7 and 8 can be used to set the FX Send1 and Send2, respectively, for this Oscillator. The system will figure out how the Oscillator is routed to the Master Effects, and will automatically adjust the appropriate effects send parameters, this will hopefully produce the desired outcome.

As a side note, on the original Kronos, and Kronos X, as well as the Kronos 2, Platinum and Titanium, the CC019 slot, out of the factory, comes with "Init Program" and only gets filled by expansion libraries, or by user reorganisation. So basically, there's no guarantee that two Kronii are going to be the same. It would be helpful to specify the Program by name, to avoid confusion.

pax-eterna.1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you both voip and korganizer. Excellent explanations.

Yes indeed it is the A.Bass & Italian Grand (this is a K2). My apologies for not realising it is not a standard inclusion. It is on the unit I purchased.

That explanation from korganizer was very valuable and I get how it is supposed to work now, so consider it answered Smile

Thanks again to you both for taking the time to respond!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: