Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How To control volume lane with perfknob

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavestate / MkII / SE
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mascob

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:22 pm    Post subject: How To control volume lane with perfknob Reply with quote

Hello dear wavestate owners.
I have this incredible synth since 6 monthes now, and I just scratch the surface of the beast !
I bought recently a sound banks with 22 beautiful performances made by Waveformer.
The sounds are really nice and complex in the spirit of Tangerine Dream and the Berlin school .
This guy use a very good tip on his performances : he assigns the volume of each lane on the 4 to 8 perfknobs, so you have the control of the level of each lane, you can mute, mix and adjust the volume as you need.
But How does he do ? I tried the modulation section, but don't find the tip...
Have you an idea ?
Thanks everyone.
Regards,
hephiroth

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume he is modulating the Amp level of each layer with the knobs.
mascob

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hephiroth wrote:
I assume he is modulating the Amp level of each layer with the knobs.

I Will try, thanks
mascob

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, some news...
It's, as said, the amp level of each layer that is used...
however, despite my many attempts, I was unable to assign the volume ( amp level) To the knobs...there must be something missing...
I tried to use the modulation assign, but it doesn't work...
Some help would be welcome...
Thanks in advance.
RobustAmerican

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be other things modulating the volume of the layers. Try connecting a knob to the filter trim or output values for the layer in question. Amount to 100% or -100% (Knobs can be unipolar (+) or bipolar (+/-) That usually works no matter what else has already been assigned in the performance.

mascob wrote:
Ok, some news...
It's, as said, the amp level of each layer that is used...
however, despite my many attempts, I was unable to assign the volume ( amp level) To the knobs...there must be something missing...
I tried to use the modulation assign, but it doesn't work...
Some help would be welcome...
Thanks in advance.

Narioso

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tested, and Amp Level knobs works nicely to control volume if assigned to like a makro knob.

Just to the right of the Filter. Use that as destination and anything else as source.

Browsing modulation of those you bought, you could also disect what he did.

But without the requested help page for each performance, to give directions to yourself to remember which knob does what it does not matter for me. I stopped using Wavestate and use Polybrute for windling performances instead, and it sounds studiolevel right out of the box. And very visual presentation for modulation make it much more fun to work with.

But keeping Wavestate if firmware updates really make help page happend in the future.
mascob

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Narioso wrote:
I tested, and Amp Level knobs works nicely to control volume if assigned to like a makro knob.

Just to the right of the Filter. Use that as destination and anything else as source.

But without the requested help page for each performance, to give directions to yourself to remember which knob does what it does not matter for me. I stopped using Wavestate and use Polybrute for windling performances instead, and it sounds studiolevel right out of the box. And very visual presentation for modulation make it much more fun to work with.

But keeping Wavestate if firmware updates really make help page happend in the future.

Thanks a lot!
I must confess something to you:
It seemed really very easy to modulate the volume with the performance knobs ... This is a basic setting and for me it was impossible that Korg did not make this parameter very accessible ... And I was right !
The problem was not with Korg ... but with me!
I simply reversed the meaning of the word "source" and "destination"!
I first affected the destination and only after I selected the modulation source ... But it is the reverse that must be done.
So the Wavestate told me that it was impossible to modulate what I asked ...
Finally, after doing some research and reading your messages, I thought to myself that the problem was mine ... And I said to myself ... What if from the beginning I did things backwards? I went back to the manual, and I realized my big mistake ...
You first have to choose the modulation parameter and then tell it to which knob it should be affected ... It's that simple ... When you do it right side up.
So thank you for your messages and your help, you must have thought (rightly so) that I was really not good ... And that's not wrong!
Narioso

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to make a correction and edit this comment.
Apart from using amp level you can do as below.

If I set active field to volume on one part of performance, on the performance pages. Use arrow to move to volume field once there.
Then do Mod+Page+ to add modulation.
Then press Enter to make that active field a destination
Then move like Master Perfknob to make it source.
Enter to execute and create it.
This works also.

I wondered a bit over the joystick and why having the volume active would also allow to set volume and other parameters to balance parts. But if joystick is used for other parameters too, it might not fit and you want separate knobs for balancing volume on parts.

But if not come to use joystick yet for other things that is the most elegant way to set volume balance between parts. There by default. Make sure led is lit for vector volume there, so joystick control volume too, not only parameters.

Have fun...

Regards

mascob wrote:
Narioso wrote:

Thanks a lot!
I must confess something to you:
It seemed really very easy to modulate the volume with the performance knobs ... This is a basic setting and for me it was impossible that Korg did not make this parameter very accessible ... And I was right !
The problem was not with Korg ... but with me!
I simply reversed the meaning of the word "source" and "destination"!
I first affected the destination and only after I selected the modulation source ... But it is the reverse that must be done.
So the Wavestate told me that it was impossible to modulate what I asked ...
Finally, after doing some research and reading your messages, I thought to myself that the problem was mine ... And I said to myself ... What if from the beginning I did things backwards? I went back to the manual, and I realized my big mistake ...
You first have to choose the modulation parameter and then tell it to which knob it should be affected ... It's that simple ... When you do it right side up.
So thank you for your messages and your help, you must have thought (rightly so) that I was really not good ... And that's not wrong!

mascob

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply, Narloso!
You're totaly right, I use the perfknobs to equilibrate the 4 layers, but also to mute or actve layers, or to fade in or out...
The joystick is a great fonction, but I prefer use the knobs for the volume of the layers.
Thanks again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavestate / MkII / SE All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: