Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NTS-1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Virtual Analog Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MeneerJansen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:46 pm    Post subject: NTS-1 Reply with quote

I don't know if the NTS-1 should be discussed in this sub-forum. Mods: feel free to move it somewhere else.

I think I'd like like this little synth that has the ability to load wave-forms (wave table?) like the Minilogue XD. It's sort of compatible w/ the XD concernig that.

What I also like it that it is one of the cheapest ways to get your hands on a 24 dB/octave (4 pole) low pass filter (like the Minimoog). However, the filter is bypassed if you connect external audio (like another synth) to it. Darn it! Do y'all thing that it'll be possible after a firmware upgrade? And will the envelope of the filter be triggered via midi so that I can connect my Monologue to it so I have a 4 pole filter?

Anyway, some people have stated that they are interested in the effects section alone. That section is not bypassed by external audio.
TheDoctor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You technically don't have a Minimoog filter because it's digital. Digital oscillator are kind of ok compare to their analogue waveform but with filter forget about it.

I'm not saying sounds s**t but don't expect a 4pole analogue filter and don't even think about Moog filter,even true analogue filyer don't sound like Moog.

You think people are crazy to pay real money for a Moog when they can spend $100 for the digital version?

The new NTS-1 sounds great but it's a digital synth, again nothing wrong with it digital synth can do what analogue synth can't. I just found silly buy something when you want something else, if you don't have the money just save it, pay monthly. Back in the days synth where much more expensive I don't understand why now it's a problem spend $1000 for a good synth.
MeneerJansen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDoctor wrote:
You technically don't have a Minimoog filter because it's digital. Digital oscillator are kind of ok compare to their analogue waveform but with filter forget about it.

I'm not saying sounds s**t but don't expect a 4pole analogue filter and don't even think about Moog filter,even true analogue filyer don't sound like Moog.

You think people are crazy to pay real money for a Moog when they can spend $100 for the digital version?

The new NTS-1 sounds great but it's a digital synth, again nothing wrong with it digital synth can do what analogue synth can't. I just found silly buy something when you want something else, if you don't have the money just save it, pay monthly. Back in the days synth where much more expensive I don't understand why now it's a problem spend $1000 for a good synth.

I hear you. But the Behringer Model D (24 dB filter) is only 300 Euro and it sounds pretty good, don't you think? Same thing goes for my Monologue: only 244 Euro and I think it sounds pretty beefy w/ its 12 dB filter. I thought that a simple machine like the NTS-1 might pack a surprising punch like those two. But I might be wrong...
mrhooks

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NTS-1's sawtooth wave and 4-pole LPF sound nothing like my Moog. It sounds polite and polished almost to the point of being sterile; I don't get goosebumps listening to it the way I do my Moog. Still a very fun little synth regardless.

A few things to note:

1) The MIDI channel nomenclature can cause a bit of unnecessary headache if one does not RTFM. The channels are displayed with a single character in hexadecimal form, 0-F. However, 0 is equal to MIDI channel 1, 1 is 2, etc. It might be less confusing to have 1-F for channels 1-15 and stick 0 at the end for channel 16, so at least the first 15 numbers are the same as the channel.

2) It makes a great effects box, except for one fatal flaw: sleep mode kicks in after 15 minutes of inactivity. There is no way to deactivate it. External audio being processed through the effects section does not count as activity, and it is interrupted when the synth goes to sleep. Korg needs to address this with a firmware update.

3) This is an unbelievably nit-picky thing, but the sheet of break-apart pieces that form most of the case should have been fabricated with the pieces in a different order. Instead of two large pieces and two small pieces, the small pieces should have gone in between the large pieces. That way, both large pieces have only one perforated edge each.

4) I'm considering looking into having a clear acrylic top plate made for it. It would keep the edges of the touch ribbon from getting damaged, keep users from accidentally touching the solder points on either side of the top, and maybe give the NTS-1 just a little extra weight to help keep it from getting moved around the tabletop when a cable gets bumped, etc. I'm lazy and have little money right now, and it's probably one of those things that will require volume production to keep the unit cost reasonable, so I'm hoping someone beats me to it and offers them for sale. Heh.
MeneerJansen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrhooks wrote:
[...]
2) It makes a great effects box, except for one fatal flaw: sleep mode kicks in after 15 minutes of inactivity. There is no way to deactivate it. External audio being processed through the effects section does not count as activity, and it is interrupted when the synth goes to sleep.

Thank you for that info. That is one hefty deal breaker there! Most people use it as an effects box.
ludsi

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrhooks wrote:
The NTS-1's sawtooth wave and 4-pole LPF sound nothing like my Moog. It sounds polite and polished almost to the point of being sterile; I don't get goosebumps listening to it the way I do my Moog. Still a very fun little synth regardless.

A few things to note:

1) The MIDI channel nomenclature can cause a bit of unnecessary headache if one does not RTFM. The channels are displayed with a single character in hexadecimal form, 0-F. However, 0 is equal to MIDI channel 1, 1 is 2, etc. It might be less confusing to have 1-F for channels 1-15 and stick 0 at the end for channel 16, so at least the first 15 numbers are the same as the channel.

2) It makes a great effects box, except for one fatal flaw: sleep mode kicks in after 15 minutes of inactivity. There is no way to deactivate it. External audio being processed through the effects section does not count as activity, and it is interrupted when the synth goes to sleep. Korg needs to address this with a firmware update.

3) This is an unbelievably nit-picky thing, but the sheet of break-apart pieces that form most of the case should have been fabricated with the pieces in a different order. Instead of two large pieces and two small pieces, the small pieces should have gone in between the large pieces. That way, both large pieces have only one perforated edge each.

4) I'm considering looking into having a clear acrylic top plate made for it. It would keep the edges of the touch ribbon from getting damaged, keep users from accidentally touching the solder points on either side of the top, and maybe give the NTS-1 just a little extra weight to help keep it from getting moved around the tabletop when a cable gets bumped, etc. I'm lazy and have little money right now, and it's probably one of those things that will require volume production to keep the unit cost reasonable, so I'm hoping someone beats me to it and offers them for sale. Heh.

Hey man yes all that is a bit frustrating, but to
1) you just get used to it. It is same like the program changes on octatrack for example 0 is 1 ane so on.
2) i found a work around it . If you are using it only for effects processor you can trigger and hold the arp and filter the sound to max so nothing is heard. You also have set the dry/wet levels on the effect to wet all the way and this way you will hear only the effect sound of the incoming external audio source . I know this is partly solution as if you have externally sequenced something that comes up in or you want to immediately play on the synth itself this wont work for you, but it is better than nothing.
3) i have the same feeling to it. This little synth has a lot of power in it and deserve a bit better and sturdier appearance. I also think of making acrylic case and put some weight on is but I doubt I will ever make it haha. If I ever make one I wouldl make a bigger one so I also move the output to the back of the unit with short cable from the side to the back by drilling couple holes and put some glue or silicone to fix it in position or smth. I think his will be so much more convinient.
shaunyata

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject: NTS-1 One Fatal Flaw Reply with quote

The One Fatal Flaw for me is that the effects processor cannot be set independently for the onboard oscillator and another instrument coming through the external input.

I have tried this with using an onboard drum oscillator and a guitar or synth external in. If I set the effects that's optimal for the external in, the same effects level is set on the internal oscillator, making it over-processed, and it ruins the drum track.

I don't know if there's a work around for this. I haven't found one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Virtual Analog Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: