Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Editor timing lane file format?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavestate / MkII / SE
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DungBeatle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Editor timing lane file format? Reply with quote

Howdie all,

I recently got myself a Wavestate, and I'm pretty much blown away by it (it's my 8th synth, so maybe that says something).

The timing lane is one of the most fundamental architectural features of the machine, so I am very excited to see that the editor allows export and import of timing lanes. I would love to write some simple programs to analyse these lanes (and also generate some), but I can't find any technical specs. I arrogantly thought I could reverse engineer the file format by looking at a number of test timing lanes (in hex, of course).. but my old skool reverse engineering skills aren't what they used to be.

Can anyone help out? Korg? Any hints/tips would be greatly appreciated. (By the way I fully understand the burden of having to support a published file format.. so I understand why manufacturers most often keep file formats opaque)
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Editor timing lane file format? Reply with quote

DungBeatle wrote:
Howdie all,

I recently got myself a Wavestate, and I'm pretty much blown away by it (it's my 8th synth, so maybe that says something).

The timing lane is one of the most fundamental architectural features of the machine, so I am very excited to see that the editor allows export and import of timing lanes. I would love to write some simple programs to analyse these lanes (and also generate some), but I can't find any technical specs. I arrogantly thought I could reverse engineer the file format by looking at a number of test timing lanes (in hex, of course).. but my old skool reverse engineering skills aren't what they used to be.

Can anyone help out? Korg? Any hints/tips would be greatly appreciated. (By the way I fully understand the burden of having to support a published file format.. so I understand why manufacturers most often keep file formats opaque)

I'm sorry, but we don't provide any file format documentation for the wavestate. I hope that we will be able to do so for Sample Builder Multisamples and Banks, but that's a more feasible task.

I'm glad that you're enjoying the synth!
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
DungBeatle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Editor timing lane file format? Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:

I'm sorry, but we don't provide any file format documentation for the wavestate.

.. I saw that coming. Such a shame. OK, fair enough. Maybe I can formulate some Editor feature requests instead then?

- allow import of short MIDI sequences (that fit the 64-step limit of the timing lane). Allow the independent creation of Timing and/or Pitch lanes from such sequences.

- allow keyboard input of sequence (timing and note).. generating a Timing and Pitch lane

- show a total timing lane length (in bars for tempo lanes, in seconds for time lanes).. that way we could sort the table on this new length, and instantly find the longest timing lanes..

- allow the detection of duplicate lanes. There are currently hundreds of preset timing lanes, but my gut feeling tells me there must be quite a few duplicates in there (different names, but exactly the same timing lane essentials). There's no shame in having these duplicates, it would just be interesting to know when we create our own new timing lanes to see if we've just reinvented the wheel or not..

.. and here's a really easy one for the Editor:

- insert a new column in all tables which just holds a row index.. that way we can all see how many items are in a table by just scrolling to the end of the table. (I know obtaining this information can already be done by selecting all rows in a table, but hey.. adding a single read-only index column should only be 10 minutes work for each table, no?)

danatkorg wrote:

I'm glad that you're enjoying the synth

I'm not quick to give gushing praise for any product, but the Wavestate is just so amazing compared to all the other machines I've got.. I hope Korg doesn't make the mistake of allowing the Wavestate to languish in the marketplace. Firmware/editor updates is the simple key.
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Editor timing lane file format? Reply with quote

DungBeatle wrote:

- allow the detection of duplicate lanes. There are currently hundreds of preset timing lanes, but my gut feeling tells me there must be quite a few duplicates in there (different names, but exactly the same timing lane essentials). There's no shame in having these duplicates, it would just be interesting to know when we create our own new timing lanes to see if we've just reinvented the wheel or not.

There shouldn't be any duplicates among the presets; an automated tool checked for that. There will certainly be ones which are similar, and may be distinguished only by modulation, rather than the basic parameter settings. That doesn't answer your point about checking your own newly created ones, I realize.

DungBeatle wrote:
.. and here's a really easy one for the Editor:

- insert a new column in all tables which just holds a row index.. that way we can all see how many items are in a table by just scrolling to the end of the table. (I know obtaining this information can already be done by selecting all rows in a table, but hey.. adding a single read-only index column should only be 10 minutes work for each table, no?)

If you mean the Librarian window, the lower right corner shows both the number of items selected, and the total number of items shown. Is this what you're looking for?

DungBeatle wrote:
I'm not quick to give gushing praise for any product, but the Wavestate is just so amazing compared to all the other machines I've got..

Now I'm blushing - thank you!
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
DungBeatle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There shouldn't be any duplicates among the presets; an automated tool checked for that. There will certainly be ones which are similar,

Hmm.. maybe we're not talking about the same thing. Take the "Lydian Spaces" performance.. Layer B uses the "Beautiful Robot Pad" timing lane preset, and Layer C uses the "Spatial (B)" timing lane preset. Both timing lanes look identical (4x whole notes). As far as I can see, none of the other lane attributes differ between the two (same start/end, loop start/end, speed, swing, etc..). So for me, these two timing lane presets are duplicates.. yet they have different names. That's what I meant by some form of duplicate detection.. would be nice if it could be done in the editor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavestate / MkII / SE All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: