Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KORG PA4X randomly drops in/out in Volume
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nicks Korg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:48 am    Post subject: KORG PA4X randomly drops in/out in Volume Reply with quote

Hi, my PA4X is on OS vers 3.1.0 July 2019 and lately in the middle of performance it will drop in volume and then come back on to normal level. I had it checked out 2 years ago under warranty at our local Korg Sevice centre in Melb, Australia and tested every 4 outputs for a few hours and never failed. I even removed all 3rd party sounds and left the keyboard with its normal factory sounds and styles and still dropped in/out radomnly the volume. I also bought new balanced jack to jack leads thinking it maybe the cable/ leads. Made no difference. Can you help or has anyone else heard of this issue. Regards Nick.
musiccankill
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a hardware issue .
I have seen that once again and it was the flex that connects mainboard to output board.If you reseat it , it may get fixed. Worth a try if you know how to do it.

Korg keyboards owned now: PA5X 61 ,PA300, Triton extreme 61, Korg 707, Trinity plus
Nicks Korg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:22 am    Post subject: KORG PA4X randomly drops in/out in Volume Reply with quote

Thanks musiccankill member for your prompt response. Also thanks for letting me know that you have seen this before and yes i have installed flex cables to circuits and other devices and should be ok. Do i access the mainboard & output board from underneath the PA4X? Also in other forums they have mentioned that possibly i need to clean the main volume button and pot. Thanks from Nick
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: KORG PA4X randomly drops in/out in Volume Reply with quote

Nicks Korg wrote:
Hi, my PA4X is on OS vers 3.1.0 July 2019 and lately in the middle of performance it will drop in volume and then come back on to normal level...

I had the same problem recently during a live performance.
This problem came out after using my Pa4X for about six years.

I think by experience that the Potentiometer of Master Volume needs to be fixed (dust cleaning, etc..) or replaced by a new one.
Actually I am looking for the correct Potentiometer's reference number for my Pa4X, I would appreciate if somebody can give me the info.
Nicks Korg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:48 am    Post subject: KORG PA4X randomly drops in/out in Volume Reply with quote

Thanks BR for sharing your knowledge of this issue. I will have a look at cleaning the Master Volume button pot and if no change will get it replaced. Regards Nick.
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you can get some crackles or the occasional odd jump in volume from moving the volume knob around, or if you get a volume drop and tapping or moving the main volume knob around restores the volume, I have my doubts it’s your volume potentiometer…

This sounds a bit more like a bad connection or chip in the output op amp section.

Does it ever happen when you AREN’T playing it (that would rule out some kind of bad connection issue that occurs because of vibration from playing it).

I guess one other thing to check is, if you use an expression pedal or control pedal, remove them and see if you get the volume drops. Also, move the Player slider around, see if you get any jumps from that.

I presume you’ve tried all that during one of the volume drops, but it never hurts to check! You might also check to see if the headphone outputs drop correspondingly during a volume drop at the mains.

How long does the dropout usually last for?
pa4x_user

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going back to your original post, you bought new audio leads - but have you done extensive testing on your PA? When your Pa4X passed with flying colours at the dealer, they wouldn’t have been using your PA.

Plug something else into PA, using the exact same inputs as you do for Pa4X , and let it run for hours.

Worth a try?

(Different issue, but I had a PA that completely shut down multiple times at a rehearsal. Ran it for home for hours without a problem which seemed weird - it turned out to be the multiboard that I was using at the rehearsal, even though everything else off the board was fine)
Songbook+ app for iPad
Cubase12 Pro DAW software
Dorico Elements 4.2 scoring software
Band-in-a-Box 2022
Yamaha CVP-309GP
Nicks Korg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:28 am    Post subject: KORG PA4X randomly drops in/out in Volume Reply with quote

Thanks KorgHelper for your response. I will test the PA4X with no playing and not vibrate and also i do use the expression pedal only for sustain but will try with it disconnected and see if it makes a difference and let you know. Just a weird issue.
Nicks Korg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:30 am    Post subject: KORG PA4X randomly drops in/out in Volume Reply with quote

Thanks Pa4x_user and will try run another kybd into the same inputs of my PA and see if i get any volume fluctuations and let you know. Regards.
Nicks Korg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:33 pm    Post subject: KORG PA4X randomly drops in/out in Volume Reply with quote

Tried my PA4X over the weekend at a gig and using another different digital mixer with 2 separate channels for Left & right, I had the same experience of the volume fluctuation again. After 30 seconds it would come back to the normal volume I had originally. So frustrating but I haven't tried yet without using the damper pedal for sustain and haven't tried cleaning or replacing the main volume button. Also I haven't opened the keyboard to check the flex cable from the main to output board.
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This never happens at home? It would be best to troubleshoot this away from the gig…

Set up at home, don’t use your PA (we want to find out if the problem is the arranger or the PA) just go into your home speakers. As soon as you have a normal volume, use headphones to check the phones output of the Korg.

Wait for it to drop in volume (have it loop a style using the Chord Sequencer) and now check whether the headphones dropped as well.

If it NEVER drops in volume at home while you play, problem is likely to be your PA. Or bad power at the gig, bad grounding etc. If it’s the arranger going bad, it will happen at home too, through a different sound system.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to consider is the possibility of leakage currents from the PA driving the muting transistors on the outputs into conduction. These are normally turned on initially during boot, to stop loud audio pops as the Pa4X output circuits fire up.

BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I mentioned above I had similar problem (drop in volume or getting louder volume) every time I perform on live on stage
with very professional and good equipment in a club that are used by many different bands.

I did some experiences by playing back some mp3 through my Pa4X (song mode) during breaks and there is no drop in volume, no getting louder volume.
and I don't play the keys at the same time, only playing back mp3.

When I start playing on my Pa4X then I noticed that when I play stronger on the keys, the keyboard is shaking slightly
and creates vibrations which, I think, causes the volume potentiometer is shaking also and hence the drop on volume or getting louder.

It's just my personal experiences and I am willing to replace the volume potentiometer as soon as I find the correct reference number part.
Nicks Korg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:28 pm    Post subject: KORG PA4X randomly drops in/out in Volume Reply with quote

Hi KorgHelper, yes it does happen at home and also in the headphones so rules out i suppose the PA issue scenario. At home i plug into my soundcard and into studio speakers. As soon i get the part number for the Master Volume it will be my first move to either clean it first or replace it. I also received this morning the lubricant clean spray for electronic components called DeoxIT which was recommended by an electronics repairer. Thanks for all your info.
Nicks Korg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:31 pm    Post subject: KORG PA4X randomly drops in/out in Volume Reply with quote

Hi BR and thanks for your support on this issue i'm having. I'll wait for the part reference for the Master Volume potentiometer and get it replaced. Regards.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: