Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oasys Hard Drive Cloning

View previous topic :: View next topic  
voyager7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:35 pm    Post subject: Oasys Hard Drive Cloning Reply with quote

Hi, i'm planning on cloning my existing non-faulty hard drive just to be safe.
Would anyone know:

1: Does the new drive need to be formatted in fat, fat 32, NTFS etc for the cloning software like AOMI to know what format the original drive is in?

2: Should the clone drive work immediately without having to re-authorise the drive?

3: Can the newly cloned hard drive be used in a different Oasys?

4: Do Korg sell the 4 Recovery CD's if needed?

Thanks in advance!
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm keen to know about this too.

There's a guy on Facebook OASYS group who has cloned his OASYS HD to an SSD - but he doesn't seem keen to reveal how he did it.

If anyone has cloned their OASYS HD to an SSD - it'd be great to get the steps involved.

Thanks,
Kevin.
voyager7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kevin,

Yes it's bizarre that I have also seen a couple of people who say they have cloned to an SSD but no instructions. If the SSD is 2.5 IDE it should be no problem. I went ahead and cloned my OASYS hard drive to another 40Gb HD by removing it and putting into an external caddy(removal was pretty easy if you just undo half the metal shield and bend it up to access the 4 philips screws with a stubby screwdriver and torch!) I bought another external caddy for the new 40GB HD which was formatted to FAT32 and cloned the drive using a free program called Macrium Reflect which recognised the OASYS Linux HD no problem. I then installed the cloned HD into the OASYS and it booted up immediately without having to re-authorise anything.

Korg UK Support were excellent (support@korg.co.uk): after registering the Oasys with them I was sent some links to download the ISO's of the 4 restore CD's and other software.

The only thing I have yet to be answered is if the cloned drive would work in another OASYS.....

Regards,

Fred
jg::
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there's nothing in the Stickys at the top, then i'm pretty sure that there is a post on the Karma-Lab forum with detailed instructions.
jg::
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks - I see that Karma-Lab Forums is currently down, Just when I needed full details about cloning the HD onto a new SSD.

If anyone has any further info, please let me know. e.g. what type of SSD should I buy?

Thanks,
John.
Rav2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi jg::

I have successfully changed over a long time ago - converted my OASYS 76 from a spinning hard disk (HDD) to a solid state drive (SSD).

HDD --> SSD change:
The original HDD was a Fujitsu 40GB drive (model MHT2040AT), manuf. date 2005-08. The new SDD is a 64GB drive, Transcend PSD330 2.5" IDE MLC.

This SSD drive comes at a standard 2.5" form factor, and still features the standard IDE connector (dual-row 40-pin IDE header):

-----------------------------
| :: :::::::::.:::::::::::: |
-----------------------------
male pinout, viewed from left-to-right (HDD facing down, with PCB side up):
2 double pins (these are jumper pins) on the left, followed by 1 empty space, followed by the actual parallel IDE header (9 double pins, 1 single pin, 12 double pins).

Install procedure:
Let the OASYS 76 format the SSD, then build up the OS from scratch. A re-authorization of synth engines may be required (at least I did it that way).

Changing the fan:
While at it, I also went one step forward and replaced the noisy stock fan with a much more silent version (Sharkoon Silent Eagle 1000: 1'000 rpm, 19 dB(A)). I did not change the fan size, should be 120x120x25mm, if memory serves.

Result:
Could not be happier. In a quiet room, I would not be able to hear any fan noise, at all, with this described setup. Boot time is exactly 1 minute now (of which the first 20 seconds are spent until that black "boot from CD ..." changes to the OASYS splash screen).

Hope this helps, stay cheerful and well.

Regards,
Rav2
DAW: Juggling between FL 12 and Reaper.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: