Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stand for two tiers?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevewahl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:06 pm    Post subject: Stand for two tiers? Reply with quote

I'm thinking about adding a 1st tier keyboard below my K2 61, probably one of those $500-700 25 lb 88 key electric pianos (was looking at Casio, then realized there's also a few worthy competitors I should consider).

I currently have a stand with a second tier that I don't often use, but it has no adjustments and the keyboards can't be placed close to each other.

I would like a keyboard stand where the second tier positioning is flexible enough that I could get the keyboards very close to each other, like the two manuals on an organ. I'm considering keyboards with minimal front panels so I can get them so close without access issues.

Does anyone here use a stand like this that they like and would recommend?

Thanks!
Xenophile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you play standing up, the K&M Spider Pro is hard to beat.

I play sitting down, so I got the "Baby" Spider Pro. The downside to that is that you can't fold up two tiers on the "baby" model... The column isn't long enough. So I have to take the top cap off every time I set up or tear down. Its a real PITA. I'm planning to work with a friend who has a 3D printer to make a cap that will easily slide on and off to replace the screwed-on cap.
tunaman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve got a couple of the Ultimate Apex stands, and one of the originals - I like them as they’re very portable and simple to adjust.
theescapist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a K&M Spider Pro but it ended up being too space-consuming for my tastes; now I have a K&M Omega setup with a 2nd tier and it works well. It does take more effort to adjust than the Spider (4x hand-operated screws to adjust the 2nd tier vs. like 1 on the Spider) but this is moot if you don't need to break it down and set it back up often.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xenophile wrote:
If you play standing up, the K&M Spider Pro is hard to beat.

I play sitting down, so I got the "Baby" Spider Pro. The downside to that is that you can't fold up two tiers on the "baby" model... The column isn't long enough. So I have to take the top cap off every time I set up or tear down. Its a real PITA. I'm planning to work with a friend who has a 3D printer to make a cap that will easily slide on and off to replace the screwed-on cap.

It depends, how many pedals you use?

I prefer the k&m table models.. less flashy, but even more stable, and room for all the pedals in the world..
tenohtwo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highly recommend the QuickLok Z/726L Z-stand. The top tier has two arms that adjust both side-to-side, and up and down, so you can have your top keyboard hover just over the bottom keyboard. I own two, and love them for their sturdiness and adjustability of the top tier. I bought two extra tier arms that mount specifically to the frame, so I can mount two smaller devices on top (midi pad, drum machine, 37-key keyboard, etc.).

B&H Photo currently has them in stock for $170, which is the lowest price I have seen online in a while.

Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think any of the stands mentioned so far are particularly good for getting the keys of the two boards as close to each other as possible, as you asked about. For that, in current models, I'd look at the K*M 18880 with the 18881 second tier ("stacker"). The key is that you can flip the 18881 around so that it faces "backwards" which allows the stacker to support the rear of the keyboard, while the front of the keyboard may even be able to rest on the back of the keyboard underneath.

Depending on the height of the lower keyboard, you still ,may or may not be able to get the keys of the two boards as close as you'd like. If it's still too far, there are two ways to fix that. You can modify the stackers so that they can fall lower to lower the level of the top board relative to the bottom, OR you can put some spacers on the lower tier supports so that they raise the level of the bottom board relative to the top.
tunaman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Apex let’s you sit one right on top of the other… not practical, but possible. It is infinitely adjustable as far as spacing goes.
JonSolo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And another vote for the Ultimate Apex AX-48. My keyboards nearly sit on top of each other. Right now my Fantom controls the program changes on the Kronos, but I am thinking of doing it the other way around.

http://www.solosounds.net
http://jonsolo.me
http://www.soundcloud.com/jonsolo
http://www.twitter.com/thejonsolo

Windows 10 | Intel i9 9900K | 64 GB RAM | Scarlett 18i20 | Nektar Panorama P6
Korg Kronos - 88 | Korg Kronos 2 - 61 | Roland Fantom 6 | Push 2 | Maschine Mk2 | Slate ML1 | JBL LSR308/310
Nuendo 11 | Ableton Live 11 | Reason 12 | FL Studio 20.9
blazerunner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tenohtwo wrote:
I highly recommend the QuickLok Z/726L Z-stand. The top tier has two arms that adjust both side-to-side, and up and down, so you can have your top keyboard hover just over the bottom keyboard. I own two, and love them for their sturdiness and adjustability of the top tier. I bought two extra tier arms that mount specifically to the frame, so I can mount two smaller devices on top (midi pad, drum machine, 37-key keyboard, etc.).

B&H Photo currently has them in stock for $170, which is the lowest price I have seen online in a while.

that's what I use. The bottom rack holds my heavy 73 and that upper tear has held my heavy Moog keyboards with no problem. Right now it has a heavy Matriarch sitting on top of it. I also use the STAY 3 tier rack. It's like the Spyder design. It wobbles too much for my taste but it works.. oddly it was more expensive.
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tunaman wrote:
The Apex let’s you sit one right on top of the other… not practical, but possible. It is infinitely adjustable as far as spacing goes.

I'm not sure it could accomplish the task at hand, since that center stalk prevents one board from being very far behind another. Also the arms themselves would almost certainly add some height between the two boards that we're trying to keep as close together as possible. That is, while the heights may be, in a sense, infinitely adjustable, I still don't think you can get the two boards "infinitely close" if you know what I mean. But however you're envisioning it, even you say it's not practical to do, so I'm going to stick with my K&M 18880 suggestion, to do what the OP described what he wanted to do. Which I can illustrate...

Here's a pic of the K&M 18880 used as described, with a Nord Wave stacked over a Korg SV1, with the front of the Nord resting directly on the back of the SV1 below (the second tier arms of the stand support the rear). You can see how long the arms extend behind the very shallow Nord Wave, it would easily support a Kronos up there. As a bonus, it's really stable, sets up and breaks down in seconds, moves in one piece, and weighs only about 10 lbs.

blazerunner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like an oddball because no one ever recommends my stand I use but I have a "On Stage ks7365ej pro". You can adjust it to sit the top keyboard to a lower height. I modified mine to do the opposite but sit higher. On the bottom I have my heavy Kronos 73. Above it I swap out with lots of other keyboards. From my Heavy Matriarch, to my old ASR10 (and you know how heavy those old Ensoniq's are). It's a very sturdy stand.
magilla66

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a K&M 18880 table stand as well, as others I have tried with my TEX88 always felt unstable (x-brace, z-brace) or couldn’t accommodate a second tier (Jam Stand). On occasion, I have used two of the 18880 stands when setting up the TEX88 in a standup playing position to provide additional stability, especially if i have other keyboards or devices on the second tiers. The 18880 is super light, well built, and collapses easily for transport.

if I had a team of roadies, I would gig with my K&M 18800 stand…but that’s a pipe dream
Korg Module/Module Pro
Nektar Panorama T6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: