Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg PA700 User Samples Ram Size

View previous topic :: View next topic  
odaa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:32 pm    Post subject: Korg PA700 User Samples Ram Size Reply with quote

Hi All,

Regarding the Korg PA700 user samples ram, the current size is 128MB, (256MB compressed data). but I'm trying to avoid compressing to save the sounds quality.

From what I found, expanding ram board (external part) was available for devices up to PA3X.

But for PA4X, Korg was able to increase the ram with Software Update:
OS V1: 400MB
OS V1.2: 800MB
OS Next V3: 1.5GB

This is amazing somehow ! increasing RAM with software only (No hardware changes).

So why not increasing as well for PA700? or maybe PA4X has special HW?
Is there any plan/idea by Korg to expand the PA700 user samples RAM ?

BTW: I loaded only 8 Keyboard sets (Performances) from some Set with their sounds and samples and they took ~48MB out of 128. this was disappointing.
MaestronNo1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totaly agree with you, I think it's time to enable to the owners of the Korga Pa700 some more user sample RAM Very Happy
moebrand

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same thing with PA1000 model as well , we would like to have more user ram for PA1000z
DMS 3Reed Harmonium
an old Accordion
Apple iMac 480GB SSD , 12GB DDR3 Ram,
logic Pro X , Studio One 3.
Dell laptop with 500GB ssd and 8GB Ram , Korg Pa Manager V4
FL Studio 11 Producer Edition
Studio One 6 Artist
Allan & Heath Zedi 10FX mixer
Shure Beta 87A Condenser Microphone
Audio Technica in ear studio monitor headphones
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don’t hold your breath folks.

Korg’s service to 700 and 1000 owners has been abysmal, with zero significant upgrades to the OS since both models were released in 2017.

The Covid shutdowns were the ideal time for their staff to work effectively on updates, and clearly that has not happened.

Since the 700 and 1000 were released Yamaha have released the Genos and the SX models 600, 700 & 900.

I sold my 700 two years ago when I got fed up with it after I filled the sample memory and fact that the prime Piano sound is rubbish.

I have been expecting and hoping for a 4X replacement, zero progress on that as well.

With the side lining of the Kronos one wonders what Korg are up to.

Even Roland are releasing new keyboards with the all new Fantom 0 series announced yesterday and it looks like a keyboard that I would buy anyday over a Nautilus.
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg PA700 User Samples Ram Size Reply with quote

Hello,
RAM space is there for Lead acoustic instruments that factory library is lacking. For Time Sliced Loops to Be Used in Single Style Tracks of Course Not It Is Sufficient for a Pa700 - that would be illusoric!

Better I could see that the functions banished in the globals (e.g. StylePreferences) can be saved individually with the KbdSets, that StyleToKbdSet can also be used with Entry-Type Style and that the functionality of the midrange series at least increases to the level that one had and was used to with previous models (Pa3x / 800/500) etc.

So it seems to be a problem to recognize what certain tools of a device are suitable for and how to use it - when Pa4x users said about its 1,5 GB of RAM:
Cant use the 1.5Gb memory -->
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=798112
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=119623
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=120124

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
odaa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent email to Korg support about this and they replied, unfortunately the reply was disappointing for me:

Quote:

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Korg USA Product Support. We’re not sure if you received a response to your last inquiry. If not, we apologize for the delay!

Unfortunately, there are no plans, nor is it possible to increase the amount of RAM in the Pa700.

Best regards,

Product Support

KORG USA Inc.
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:25 pm    Post subject: Pa700 - 128 MB Sample RAM - load Set folder Reply with quote

odaa wrote:
I sent email to Korg support about this and they replied, unfortunately the reply was disappointing for me: ...there are no plans, nor is it possible to increase the amount of RAM in the Pa700...

Korg Pa-Arranger had the ability to store some sample sounds, but they were not predestined as arranger keyboards to store large amounts of them. A few years ago, the Pa3x was the professional model of the Pa series and was supplied with 128 MB of sample RAM - now you already have this capacity in the entry-level model Pa700.

Therefore the information from Korg is not a surprise. With 128 MB you have to think about a workflow with which all the sounds with PCM samples are available in the memory, which you need for one respective session.

This means overwriting the memory for another session with other PCM sampled sounds - and this is relatively easy if you load a complete set folder including its user samples. That is because loading a SET folder containing Sounds based on User Samples will delete all existing User Samples in memory.

Not to loose previously in memory existing User Samples save them before loading a set folder, by selecting User Sample option during a Save All operation.

A sample capacity of 128MB is not small and it should be underestimated how many sounds are possible with it - a good example of this is the provider WavesArt (user AntonySharmman).

The capacity of 128 MB should be sufficient for one session of an arranger keyboard - and loading user sounds for next session is easy. Of course, it is not possible to archive a large number of sounds that you might need at some point in any session and - as already mentioned - for Time Sliced Loops to be used in single style tracks of course not it is sufficient for a Pa700 - that would be illusoric!

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: