Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bored.....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:03 am    Post subject: Bored..... Reply with quote

Hey guys

Bored waiting for Korg....so.....
....I actually thought I would re-visit the Genos - played some newer demos today (YouTube) in particular Genos Version 2 demos....
...well I'm not intending to upset anyone here but they were all terrible and reminded me of my Yamaha PSRs from 25 years ago.
What's the real deal with Genos? These professional demos were so unimpressive.
I also agree that there are no impressive demos of the PA4X too.
I think that the earlier Genos demos by Peter Baartmans were much more exciting but then, if I could play like him, it wouldn't matter what keyboard I had Wink
Seriously, with absolutely no disrespect to the player and music store, if you played this as audio to a new arranger prospect they'd laugh when you added the price!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbpK7f7qivY
This thing is Aus$6,200 (USD5,999 according to Sweetwater).

So I'm not knocking Genos but are there any serious demos of this thing - it has to be better than these demos...

Wish Ketron was here to have a look at.

Take care

Pete Very Happy
Sorry - just bored and need to buy something Brick wall Beer
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We must be related Pete.

I feel the same.

Every Yamahaha that I have played has a great prime acoustic piano, but brass and strings sound like The Janes Last Orchestra on a very bad day, harsh, strained and overly bright.

Last time I was in a Music Store I tried a 4X then went and tried a Genos and an SX900, neither was played extensively as I could not stand the voiced or keybed.

So now I am considering saying sod it to Korg and buying a Yamaha DGX 670 and putting up with the sounds.

Then Roland Release the Fantom O so now it is get a 07 and use a software App for when I want to use arranger features.

I have this wad of cash and must spend it.
DESERT GUY

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:22 pm    Post subject: Bored, too! Reply with quote

It was interesting to see both your posts on boredom, because I, too, have been bored waiting for a PA1000. I have a 4X and don't plan to ever get rid of it, but do need a lighter weight arranger to use for gigs here in AZ when the centers I play at open up again. I appreciate your comment, Biggles, about the PSR-SX900, as I've been curious about that arranger, in lieu of the PA1000, but very hesitant to buy as I've not been convinced I would be happy with it having had nothing but Korg arrangers for these past several years. So let's all hope things will turn around and Korg, especially, will be back like the "good ol' days" when we weren't bored.
Giner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just adding to the pot, but I only managed to hang in there until the third tune. Nothing whatsoever to keep me there any longer, just the same old, same old, sounding Yammy. Oh, and had the demonstrator been Peter Baartmans I might have stuck around a bit longer.
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have them both in my studio and they are both great in their own way.

The main difference is the depth and accessibility of the gear.

What i really like on the Genos is that it's much easier to add your own sounds and that there is a very easy to use style creator on board.

Also the multipads and chord sequencer are better then on the pa4x.

The pa4x is stronger in the synth engine it has and i like the styles a little bit more on the pa4x then on the genos, but that's personal.

Here is an example of how i use the Genos

And here is an example of playtesting a few of my custom styles that i created in the style creator in the genos
Tom04

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I don't know, if I mentioned it before, but take a look at the youtube channel of Alois Müller. There are a lot of videos ( nearly 600 ) concerning the PA1000, PA4X Musikant and GENOS.
It's a german musician, so many titles may be kown only by European musicians, but he plays also a lot of international stuff.
Listening and looking to him and his special technique with his left hand can be inspiring.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNq6hIqGcG6MBMM0_M9cGiA
Asena
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QuiRobinez wrote:
i have them both in my studio and they are both great in their own way.

The main difference is the depth and accessibility of the gear.

What i really like on the Genos is that it's much easier to add your own sounds and that there is a very easy to use style creator on board.

Also the multipads and chord sequencer are better then on the pa4x.

The pa4x is stronger in the synth engine it has and i like the styles a little bit more on the pa4x then on the genos, but that's personal.

Here is an example of how i use the Genos

And here is an example of playtesting a few of my custom styles that i created in the style creator in the genos

Aslo the multipads are better you say, For me, They are to laizy, it starts after you push, IN YAMAHA I MEAN! , KORG starts it on the first Bar direct!

KORG PA 5-X/YAMAHA GENOS 2/YAMAHA A 5000
LIONSTRACK X 76 & GROOVE XR
MEDELI AKX-10

MacbookproM2-Ssd/Logic/Neuman/Kali Audio8/Komplette14SDD/ Apollo Twin/PIONEER XDJ RX 2
LOTS OF SAMPLE SOUNDS!
KorgPaManager V 5
steve350

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will not be purchasing anymore Korg products. I will be getting Global Sound's products. It's what the Pa4 should have sounded like from day dot.
mabcomp

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom04 wrote:
Hi,
I don't know, if I mentioned it before, but take a look at the youtube channel of Alois Müller. There are a lot of videos ( nearly 600 ) concerning the PA1000, PA4X Musikant and GENOS.
It's a german musician, so many titles may be kown only by European musicians, but he plays also a lot of international stuff.
Listening and looking to him and his special technique with his left hand can be inspiring.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNq6hIqGcG6MBMM0_M9cGiA
Genos is ok if you like Bontempi Keyboards
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genos was just an improved tyros 5 which made huge steps with its interface.. the new revo drums are a huge improvement over the old ones.. the power of the genos is mostly its DSP power, it comes with 28 insert effects that you can assign freely..

Sound design is basic, but enough for 99% of the users..

Where Genos shines is its acoustic instruments, from guitars to realistic brass and wind instruments..yet the piano sounds are still average..

Basic yamaha styles are often way to busy for stage, you have to mute tracks, to make things sound good for live playing.. otherwise it just sounds like playing a CD..(which is the main goal of the yamaha devs anyway)

The korg pa4x is a way completer keyboard, but the Genos is extremely easy to setup, and offers more direct controll (knobs) over the sound.. but the interface is golden and worth every penny …

I guess this probably predicts what the pa5x will show? A small upgrade in sounds and features, but a huge overhaul of the interface… bringing the instrument back to 2022..
tkarlmann

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Bored..... Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
Hey guys

I also agree that there are no impressive demos of the PA4X too.
but are there any serious demos of this thing - it has to be better than these demos...

Pete Very Happy
Brick wall Beer

I'm relatively new to all this stuff but I can offer a little.
I've always found the BEST Demos of the 4x come from BonnersMusic in the UK.
If you watch the series of videos they have, (6 years old now), Tony White does the playing, but Luke Edwards from Korg UK is also there, advising Tony as to what was new and updated from the Pa3x. I find these demos could be the best demos out there -- especially if you listen closely to Luke -- who provides little comments here & there about what is (was) new on the Pa4x. To me, I LIKE the sounds of the 4x (Even though it has been said that the 5x sounds better)! I would NOT put up with the missing features of the 5x, just for supposedly better sound. Just listen to Tony from Bonners play the 4x!!

Now, I'm wondering if Pa4x is even being manufactured anymore! Just today, I've called/looked at three major retailers, here in the US {Sweetwater, Kraftmusic, and GuitarCenter}, and none of them list, show, and apparently cannot even order a Pa4x -- they all mention the 5x ... and we know what THAT's likely to be (Read: not as capable as the 4x!!!)!
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I had forgotten that I posted this topic until now....

No longer bored!!!!

My G.A.S. symptoms became so bad that just a couple days ago I bought a Roland Fantom 8 - just so so good. The Roland support is outstanding, tutorials outstanding, instrument quality outstanding, incredible OS and control surface design. (Even sold my Kronos)

This will keep me "quiet" for some time whilst Korg fix up this PA5x mess - I'll keep track but will not consider parting with my $$ until I'm convinced that Korg are seriously behind it. Korg Italy team are the sufferers too - it's all out of their control now since the management structure changes quite a while ago (since before PA4x) - this is why we no longer get those nice supporting messages from them and why the PA4x and PA5x were released too early, Pa5x being a disastrous release so far.

Having said all that, Korg still lead the way with arrangers and I hope that they will get their act together and turn out an acceptably tested PA5x soon - I'm on hold now....

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
tkarlmann

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
Well, I had forgotten that I posted this topic until now....

No longer bored!!!!

My G.A.S. symptoms became so bad that just a couple days ago I bought a Roland Fantom 8 - just so so good. The Roland support is outstanding, tutorials outstanding, instrument quality outstanding, incredible OS and control surface design. (Even sold my Kronos)
Cheers

Pete Very Happy

I just looked at both models, the Fantom 8 and the Fantom 08. I think, for me, they seem to be bit too synth-oriented, I rather like the acoustic sounds way more. Does the Fantom have those type sounds, and how do they compare to the Pa4x's?

Was all that about Kronos having 9 processors in it not able to stand up to the Roland Fantom?
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tkarlmann wrote:
I think, for me, they seem to be bit too synth-oriented, I rather like the acoustic sounds way more. Does the Fantom have those type sounds, and how do they compare to the Pa4x's?

It's all about personal needs for sure. I love the Rolands sounds and in regard to their acoustic sounds, their sound-behaviour-modeling has always been the best for me - one reason I still have my Jupiter-80. I wish the Kronos and PA4 had that.

I've owned my Kronos since it was first released, M3 before that, KARMA before that and I have loved them all - not one bad word to say.
tkarlmann wrote:
Was all that about Kronos having 9 processors in it not able to stand up to the Roland Fantom?

Absolutely - the Kronos can stand up to anything but I am not finding so far anything I can't do on on the Fantom that I could do on the KK.
With regard to the 9 engines, my Roland can do all I need and more but the keyboard design and build is quite different. I love the Fantom's design, OS and control surface - you can easily be as simple or as technical as you want with its "one mode" concept. Now, I am NOT making this a "Korg vs Roland" post - it is all very personal but I am loving the change right now and it complements my PA4x perfectly sound-wise. The added big plus for me is the incredible Roland support and fabulous tutorials - it is making my transition easier but I still have a long way to go (which is good - keeps me quiet!!!)

Cheers
Pete Very Happy
redfox

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
My G.A.S. symptoms became so bad that just a couple days ago I bought a Roland Fantom 8 - just so so good. The Roland support is outstanding, tutorials outstanding, instrument quality outstanding, incredible OS and control surface design. (Even sold my Kronos)...

I am afraid that my Pa4X will be the last arranger keyboard I will have, I believe that the next step will be a PC (or better a tablet) with an external keyboard like Roland Fantom. I do not know what level of the current software is in circulation, but I am convinced that soon they will be able to provide the same performance or better than actual arranger on the market, with outstanding level of updating and expandibility.

I'm waiting for an Arranger version of Garage Band.. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: