Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

microSAMPLER Editor dead for all future OS X releases

View previous topic :: View next topic  
feijai

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject: microSAMPLER Editor dead for all future OS X releases Reply with quote

OS X Catalina has removed support for 32-bit software. The microSAMPLER Editor Librarian is 32-bit. This means that unless Korg kindly recompiles the software for 64 bit, it is dead software. Mac users will not be able to upload or download samples.

Korg? Are you listening?

Others? Any other solutions to transferring samples? Do we know what the microSAMPLER USB sample protocol is?
lodevalm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a very bad news!

Today I've come to this post because I was trying to find the description for the MSMPL_BANK file format to develop a custom editor program (right now written in python but maybe I will move to Java or C++) for personal use but I haven't found anything yet regarding how the file is structured.

If someone knows where I can find any kind of documentation, will be very appreciated and I will share my work on this forum if it could be usefull for someoune.

I use the microsampler a lot as a tool for real-time sampling and it is very bad loosing this gear only because the editor won't be available anymore...
Tamme2020

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found something on a dutch website:

If you want to continue using 32 bit apps in macOS Catalina, you can do this by running macOS Mojave on your Mac in addition to macOS Catalina. You create an APFS volume with the old operating system (the modern and easier equivalent of a partition).

APFS is Apple's new file system. An advantage is that you can easily divide your disk into multiple volumes. So you can install a different macOS version on such a volume. Good to know: to switch between Mojave and Catalina, you have to restart your Mac.

step by step with pictures.
https://www.icreatemagazine.nl/workshop/32-bit-apps-in-catalina-gebruiken/
( 8 november 2019 )

One addition already: to be able to install Mojave from a USB stick, you first have to set up "Allow boot from external media" under macOS Catalina with Boot Protection utility.

To open Startup Protection utility:

Turn on the Mac and immediately after you see the Apple logo, hold down Command (⌘) -R. Your Mac will boot from macOS Recovery.
When the macOS Utilities window appears, choose Utilities> Startup Security Utility from the menu bar.
When prompted to verify your identity, click "Enter macOS password," choose an administrator account, and enter the corresponding password.

They must be able to rebuild the application to 64 bits at Korg.
robotunes

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tamme!!! I have the Microsampler editor on two older computers so that I hope I can use it for years and years to come.

But when those computers fail (and they will), I will use this trick from the Dutch magazine iCreate. Thanks!

Korg has the resources to update the editor but I understand why they won't. They're not going to use resources to support gear that the no longer sale, especially the wonderful, misunderstood Microsampler.
orchards

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big up Tamme2020 !

my old computer died and i thought it was all over when the new one wouldn't install the microsampler abandonware or recognize it via USB : ( but then i found this thread and learned the show can go on : )
Ndszz

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was just checking out this forum since I recently started playing around with a microsampler and thought I’d leave this too here:

Rather than making a whole seperate volume and macos install to use the microsampler software, you can download a free version of vmware for macos and then create a virtual machine of mojave

This way you don’t have to restart just to use the microsampler software (or any 32 but software for that matter) and can run it simultaneously with your current updated os and apps
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSampler All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: