Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ARP Odyssey - Pitch tracking issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Analog Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fluent

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:19 am    Post subject: ARP Odyssey - Pitch tracking issue Reply with quote

Hello!

After falling in love with the Odyssey years back, buying my own original Rev 2 in 2009, having to sell it (for several issues, one including the same issue I'm having again with the NEW one, more on that in a second) and then finally being able to buy the remake, I'm thrilled to own the Odyssey again!

That said, this issue is bugging me. Basically, yet again, the pitch is not tracking correctly on my Odyssey. I am controlling the Odyssey module via MIDI with a Yamaha PSS-680 keyboard/synth, and the pitch of OSC 1 gets sharper the higher up the keyboard you go. By the time you get to the top octaves it is quite sharper than it should be. Looks to be about 15 cents too sharp up there. OSC 2 has the same issue but is not as bad, yet still exists (I'm using a digital tuner.)

So what gives? I love the remake so far and am super grateful that they kept the original design and components but I was hoping that wouldn't extend to the pitch tracking faults as well. Smile Had that issue (much worse, mind you) with the Rev 2 I picked up back in '09, which led to having to sell it because I couldn't get it fixed at the time.

Any ideas on this? Do I just have a faulty one? I don't have any other MIDI devices to test it with. Time to pack it back up and ship it to KORG? Shocked
mihu

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you will find interesting discussions regarding oscillator tuning:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=68394&sid=90769e4c67b8ea0f1e1e06619f25678a
http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=367420&sid=c635ad403479c905f4f0f3e96e2a7e76

I assume you understand that analog might not be perfect when it comes to tuning and you actually hear it and not only see it on the digital tuner. Wink

You should not expect the reissue to be much different when it comes to tuning stability and accuracy, as this might affect the sound. Arp's oscillators are considered quite stable (they don't drift over time) and it seems you rather have a calibration problem. Mine Kordyssey is a bit off too, but it doesn't bother me. However only the designer knows what are the real tolerances for the circuit, so I would ask Korg about the issue.

At some point any analog synth may require calibration. It is not common but some manufacturers provide calibration information for free, for example Studio Electronics. I think this is a good practice and it would be nice of Korg to do the same.

As for the MIDI - the results should be the same with any external keyboard. If you want you can connect the synth via usb to a computer and check it with any midi keyboard emulator software.

Regards
Michał
Fluent

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mihu wrote:
Here you will find interesting discussions regarding oscillator tuning:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=68394&sid=90769e4c67b8ea0f1e1e06619f25678a
http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=367420&sid=c635ad403479c905f4f0f3e96e2a7e76

I assume you understand that analog might not be perfect when it comes to tuning and you actually hear it and not only see it on the digital tuner. Wink

You should not expect the reissue to be much different when it comes to tuning stability and accuracy, as this might affect the sound. Arp's oscillators are considered quite stable (they don't drift over time) and it seems you rather have a calibration problem. Mine Kordyssey is a bit off too, but it doesn't bother me. However only the designer knows what are the real tolerances for the circuit, so I would ask Korg about the issue.

At some point any analog synth may require calibration. It is not common but some manufacturers provide calibration information for free, for example Studio Electronics. I think this is a good practice and it would be nice of Korg to do the same.

As for the MIDI - the results should be the same with any external keyboard. If you want you can connect the synth via usb to a computer and check it with any midi keyboard emulator software.

Regards
Michał

Thanks Michal.

I ended up returning that Odyssey and getting a replacement. The replacement tracks pitch quite a bit better, still not perfect but I know about analog synths, I've collected tons of them in the past 15 years (had the original Odyssey, a couple Axxes, a JX-8P, some Moog monosynths and more.) The pitch tracking is now decent enough that it's not a major issue.

BUT, I have a new issue with this replacement that I didn't have with the other one, and that is the osscillator drift. I posted about it but deleted it, but basically the oscillators drift and cause a "zipper" sound in a cycle. It sounds as though I have an LFO sweeping the sound or I am playing the sound through a rotary speaker. It is especially noticeable in the lower ranges, i.e. bass notes, where it actually sounds as though a sample & hold is applied on the filter per key press (and when the sound "zippers" out, all the bass frequency disappears too.) I forwarded that audio demo to KORG to hear what they have to say about it. Weird thing is the Odyssey I sent back didn't have that issue. I guess they really are true analog beasts we're dealing with here. Smile

Thanks again for the response. I'm enjoying the synth a lot again. I hope they remake the Little Brother or Axxe too.
MarilynAyers

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always went to a professional with a problem like this! This synthesizer has several features that I liked! Because of these features, I am now tracking the delivery of this synthesizer https://www.sendungsverfolgungpost.de/de/. Ordered it yesterday! An additional feature of the ARP Odyssey sampling and storage module is the ability to change the module's " photos " using the synthesizer's keyboard triggers! This modulation will allow you to create interesting rhythmic textures, which are especially nice to control with a MIDI sequencer. The target of the sample and hold module can be the height of an oscillator or the filter's cutoff frequency. The perfect instrument for the musician!
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There’s a reason DCOs became common in the 1980s: keeping everything in tune on a VCO-based synth is problematic! Modern VCO synths like the Moogs and Sequentials use microprocessor-based controllers that can correct pitch-tracking issues through an onboard calibration routine. The ARP Odyssey and it’s reissues poses no such functionality.

You will probably need to recalibrate it, which is easily done with the trimpots accessible under the small rubber caps in the Oscillator 1 and 2 sections. There’s some guides online on how to do this. Keep in mind that it’s likely to be impossible to get it to track perfectly over the entire key range, so it’s a matter of getting it close enough (to make it perfect across the entire key range would essentially require many more adjustment points).

Hope that helps!
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Analog Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: