Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos USB Storage

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blazerunner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:49 am    Post subject: Kronos USB Storage Reply with quote

Hello Folks,

I was wondering what kinds of storage do you guys have plugged into your USB ports?

I brought a USB to Sata drive cable and am thinking about attaching another hard drive to the rear of the Kronos for safe keeping of my work. I've been using a USB Thumb drive that is "always" plugged into the back.

I use my Kronos every day and I mean that I use it everyday. Longest I've ever had it off in the past 4 years was about a full week (I get sad when I'm not working on songs on my Kronos).

Sometimes I leave it on for long periods of time like 48 hours without turning it off as I like to work on music and ideas literally throughout the day and night. It's unusual for my Kronos not to be powered on.

That being said... I never thought to feel the back of the keyboard USB area till recently and I noticed the thumb drive I had plugged in (Samsung Metal USB drive) was burning hot. It was not being used or anything. It was just sitting there plugged in and it's burn your fingers hot.

I don't know if it's heatsoak from the Kronos or what but it was clear to me that was a bad idea. This was one such day that my Kronos had been off before I went to use it so it wasn't left on. I'm thinking about all the the hours my Kronos has been powered on with this drive plugged in heating up like this. The drive is fun my Kronos works fine but still.

I'm sure you guys have plenty of contraptions and ideas you use to take advantage of the USB storage. I was curious what you guy use and what works best. With my workflow the USB storage drive is like my savings account. I save all my finished stuff on there but with my workflow sometimes I end up with about 100 different versions of the same song as it progresses. These can be different mix downs, different automation settings, effects, different instruments etc. I will delete a majority the different song versions and only keep the few that are essential. Those are what I save to the USB storage just to give you and idea of how I use it.

As always thanks for the help,suggestions and advice.
pete.m

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my Kronos every day - like you, I wouldn't feel right if I wasn't working on something - but I don't leave it switched on when I'm not. It would feel like a waste of electricity, especially since having it on also means that I'd be leaving everything else on that goes with it as well - mixers, modules etc - and it only takes a minute to power up anyway.

That's very interesting about the memory stick getting red hot! I use a stick as well, and use it to back up to my PC regularly, but I guess that I don't always leave it in the Kronos. It happens to be on top of my PC desk at the moment, which is in a different part of the house to my music gear. Is it normal for a stick to get so hot? I'm going to have to leave it plugged in for a while to see how hot mine gets...
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another way is to connect the Kronos as a remote entity in FTP. For this, you can buy a compatible adapter or (like I do) directly connect the Kronos internal Ethernet port to your computer router. The FTP configuration is set in Global mode / Network tab. File saves and transfers are then quick and easy to manage on the PC screen.
blazerunner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pete.m wrote:
I use my Kronos every day - like you, I wouldn't feel right if I wasn't working on something - but I don't leave it switched on when I'm not. It would feel like a waste of electricity, especially since having it on also means that I'd be leaving everything else on that goes with it as well - mixers, modules etc - and it only takes a minute to power up anyway.

Hello Pete,

That transfer to PC is a very good idea. I do that too but like you my computer is also a hop skip and jump away. My Kronos is the center of all I do. The way my little studio is set up the Kronos records everything into it so sometimes it's a melody from a different keyboard or instrument I've recorded into the sequencer. So I leave it on to record those ideas that end up becoming songs.

I know Embarassed it's a bad habbit I have that I never quit got out of but it sure feels good to get ideas out quickly. I'm a strange one when it comes the kronos. I think about the configurations I can make in the sequencer that can alter the songs I'm working on. The sequencer is probably the best thing about this keyboard. The automation is an incredibly powerful tool that can change the entire landscape of your sound.

It's like an ice cream shoppe you want to try everything and you get some interesting results. My latest Kronos experiment with sound has been flipping between 2 effects to change the dynamics of the drums between the verse and the chorus while using the vector joy stick to modulate the synth. It's so cool how doing something so simple can make a dead track sound alive. I use the automation like an instrument. It's cool because you're not sitting there with a mouse and keyboard programming it. You're just playing it live and recording it which adds to that fun.
blazerunner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
Another way is to connect the Kronos as a remote entity in FTP. For this, you can buy a compatible adapter or (like I do) directly connect the Kronos internal Ethernet port to your computer router. The FTP configuration is set in Global mode / Network tab. File saves and transfers are then quick and easy to manage on the PC screen.

This sounds interesting. You mean you link your Kronos to your computer for file swapping and saving? Am I reading that right?
average_male

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:

So you routed an RJ45 connector to the back of your Kronos and that connects to the actual motherboard of the Kronos? If so, no other changes needed? If so, wondering why Korg just did make this standard?
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is a rather simple mod to do, I chose to install a cable with a female connector under the unit for minimal intrusion. You could buy a compatible USB adapter instead but I prefer to connect directly to the Kronos motherboard. Cost almost nothing, then you connect the Kronos on your router, define the parameters in Global/Network and you are all set. The Kronos then becomes a FTP entity and appears just as other drive(s). You can then save, move and/or delete files there.

samriccijr

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All! Love the LAN solution!

I use a 4 gig usb thumb drive to transfer files, load sample libraries and backup PCGs.

I find that the Kronos has trouble with 8 gig and larger usb drives. I think it has to do with FAT32 or exFat formatting. It is best to format the thumb drive using the Kronos and not a Mac or pc.

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=78830&sid=025842844d57640bba1b28f7e81717af

Sam
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There probably isn’t much benefit to using a USB to SATA adaptor over using a USB thumb drive. The heat is coming from the thumb drive and is just a consequence of the increasing miniaturisation of thumb drives. Higher capacity thumb drives in small packages are the biggest culprit.

Best bet is to get a lower capacity USB drive as these will draw less current and generate less heat. Drives in metal enclosures even better.

I use a 32GB Sandusky and it gets hot. A 4GB Sandusky doesn’t get anywhere near as warm.

Most of the time I actually back up to CD because I like having archives. I find I often inadvertently write over USB sticks when I need one;m, mainly because so few of them can be labelled!

The other think your can do is use a USB card reader and use SD cards. I tend to find those run cooler too.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
blazerunner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to go with an external SSD drive. The storage space is larger and those drives are used to being activated for long periods of time. The thumbs drives were never meant for that kind of abuse plus they have a higher failure rate and electronics plus excessive heat always ends up badly.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.
Pedja
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which external SSD are you using, given that Kronos is very picky, and when it comes to USB sticks?
My music: https://soundcloud.com/pedjak-1
http://moca.virtual.museum/autogallery2017/autogallery_kalajdzijevic/
http://moca.virtual.museum/dablog/dablog02.htm
http://moca.virtual.museum/autogallery2019/autogallery_kalajdzijevic/
https://www.saatchiart.com/PedjaK
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: