Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sound Comparison between Korg Pa4X vs Pa5x
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:18 pm    Post subject: Sound Comparison between Korg Pa4X vs Pa5x Reply with quote

Which one is better? What do you say about the sound differences?
archil

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also what about the keybed? Do they use the same?
mate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The Pa5X is the first device to be utilise Korg’s new EDS-XP (Enhanced Definition Synthesis - Expanded) sound engine, with 24 stereo oscillators and 160 voices of polyphony powering thousands of sounds that cover a wide range of musical instruments and genres. Combined with new features such as Round-Robin drum and percussion performance, Smooth Sound Transition and Sound-Controller 3 functionality, Korg say that the Pa5X provides an unprecedented level of sonic realism and expression. On-board sounds also benefit from the assignable controls, with faders, switches, joystick and ribbon controllers all able to be configured to modulate any adjustable parameter."

https://www.soundonsound.com/news/korg-pa5x-professional-arranger
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question that needs to be answered is : where does the EDS-XP differ fron the pa4x engine?

What i have learned so far
- more options for DNC
- stereo oscilators vs mono oscilators (tough don’t know how this will relate to polyphony if 160 voice poly turns out to be mono.. then its a bummer of 80 poly for stereo
- seperate filter for every oscilator (rumor)
- round robbing is part of the drums and prolly other soundsets for tealisme

The other huge improvement is the DSP effects
There is many many more of them
Better quallity
Which should have a hige impact on the sound

Wish they added an option down the road to load Gadgets synth engines..that would be great.. but highly unlikely
Asena
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No IPAD support, Just imagine to have an IPAD PRO, connected via Bluetooth, And fix all from that one Smile WOW, Dreaming .

KORG PA 5-X/YAMAHA GENOS 2/YAMAHA A 5000
LIONSTRACK X 76 & GROOVE XR
MEDELI AKX-10

MacbookproM2-Ssd/Logic/Neuman/Kali Audio8/Komplette14SDD/ Apollo Twin/PIONEER XDJ RX 2
LOTS OF SAMPLE SOUNDS!
KorgPaManager V 5
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
The question that needs to be answered is : where does the EDS-XP differ fron the pa4x engine?

It differs in sound clarity and stereo image when 8 full tracks are playing in a style ! This is not an ordinary Pa sounding arranger anymore !
DNC2 engine is still the same only a send controller has been added , so at this level DNC2 engine is the same (where round robin could be
applied even in Sound interface of Pa4X) , but stereo OSC with 24 independent filters , almost double the ability to create more complex
sounds with articulation in advanced sound modeling !

Hope this helps

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
mate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Sounds are pulled from all the other Korg machines including Kronos, Nautilus and SV2. This is not a toy."

https://www.gearnews.com/korg-pa5x-next-generation-professional-arranger-and-workstation/
mate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Style comparison between PA4x and Pa5x:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OygJGTaFLE
duby2
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:41 am    Post subject: smoke and mirrors Reply with quote

smoke and mirrors
as the people that can afford the keyboard pa5x, like some of us , we have depositable money and are hearing is not so good , korg EQ it for us ...just look and the sum of post here ,,, same mother board , and more ...
korg should just give the update in the pa4x .. but no usb 3 .. i wait 2 sec longer for the load.. you should have all of your songs and style in your keyboard before the job
WOW i sound old wait I am .. LOL

PS
I think the people that say this is the greatest are people that work for knog , we just dont know who these people are ...

Gunnar J

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mate wrote:

This video did not impress me much, to be honest, out of those examples the PA4 sounds quite as good if not better.
I am very tempted (or at least was) to buy a PA5, but maybe a PA4 is a better choice for now..... 🤔
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)
worth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="mate"]Style comparison between PA4x and Pa5x:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OygJGTaFLE[/quote]

Forget the specs and talk about enhanced DSP’s and new sound engine . Musicians use their ears to judge the quality of a musical instrument .

Listening to this comparison what do your ears tell you about any real or perceived improvement in sound ?
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

worth wrote:
mate wrote:

Forget the specs and talk about enhanced DSP’s and new sound engine . Musicians use their ears to judge the quality of a musical instrument .

Listening to this comparison what do your ears tell you about any real or perceived improvement in sound ?

Well as someone who has just changed from PA4X to PA5X what I can confirm is the over all ((((Hi-Fidelity)))) has greatly improved...

What I am hearing is a much greater Sound Stage and Separation with improved overall dynamics coming from the final Audio Stage with PA5X compared to PA4X....

This I have repeated across multiple audio system from PA speakers (QSC K10.2 (x2) including EV sub) then through a Studio Signal Path (Multiple Outboards and Studio Monitors) and also through a reasonably Hi-End HiFi system (Cyrus amps/preamps/power supply's with Monitor-Audio speakers which I use to cross reference as a 2nd Mastering source...

So in all cases the PA5X has surpassed PA4X on all Audio Fronts when dealing with dynamics and Hi-Fidelity and when you wrap this all-round the other improvements (DSP/Sound Engine) i can say I am ((((Very Pleased))))....excluding other teething issues.

Last edited by D575 on Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:21 pm; edited 4 times in total
Giner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, for the gigging muso there's not enough difference to warrant the extra cash outlay for all intents and purposes. Add in the relative awkwardness of accessing bass inversion and harmoniser, not to mention the lack of an EC-5 port, and this puts the 5X out of the running for me.
davekalbach

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D575 wrote:
Well as someone who has just changed from PA4X to PA5X what I can confirm is the over all ((((Hi-Fidelity)))) has greatly improved...

What I am hearing is a much greater Sound Stage and Separation with improved overall dynamics coming from the final Audio Stage with PA5X compared to PA4X....

This I have repeated across multiple audio system from PA speakers (QSC K10.2 (x2) including EV sub) then through a Studio Signal Path (Multiple Outboards and Studio Monitors) and also through a reasonably Hi-End HiFi system (Cyrus amps/preamps/power supply's with Monitor-Audio speakers which I use to cross reference as a 2nd Mastering source...

So in all cases the PA5X has surpassed PA4X on all Audio Fronts when dealing with dynamics and Hi-Fidelity and when you wrap this all-round the other improvements (DSP/Sound Engine) i can say I am ((((Very Pleased))))....excluding other teething issues.

Plus 1

I have to say once I got everything setup - I literally spoke outloud (I was alone) saying, "This thing is a F---in Beast"

The sound is very good, the operation and functions are actually quite good as well. W just need to pick up the missing pieces.

I don't believe however anyone that purchased one is disappointed with it, at least I'm not.

Kronos 2, Pa5X, Drumlogue, Stageman 80, Korg D32XD Recorder
Many Guitars, Roland TD-6 V-Drums, a Trumpet (HELP)
And a Kimball Baby Grand Piano
sagar ahuja

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, right now i have both 4x and 5x, and i must say there is a huge difference in sound, especially in stereo imaging and improved effects. You will be impressed with new synth lead sounds, Some pads, Sfx sounds, Pianos(Austrian and Cinematic), Eps(Fm), new Trumpet, Organ the sounds are more crisp, clean, mature and punchy. Reverbs are much better and mature than pa4x. However i am waiting for arpeggiator sounds which is missing in 4x as well. You will not be disappointed in sound atleast unless you are using vsts
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa5X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: