Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Missing Features compared to Pa4X?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alexxis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:51 pm    Post subject: Missing Features compared to Pa4X? Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

To me it looks like the new Pa5X is missing features compared to the Pa4X. Even the Manual has 742 pages instead of 1166 pages like the Pa4X has.

Are the following features really missing? For Reference I use the Pa4X Manual Pages:

• Importing a SMF to a Style (313)
• Converting a MIDI Song to a Style (319)
• Importing Midi Groove to a Style (316)
• Guitar Mode (271)
• Importing Chord Sequence from/to a Standard Midi File (239)

Can anyone of the proud owners of a Pa5X confirm this? Thanks in Advance!
korgpask

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my findings of missing features:

* STYLE EDIT (complete menu and functions) (copy, quantize, transpose..)

* MIDI EDIT (complete menu and functions)

* Importing a SMF to a Style

* BOOT CREATOR - Converting a MIDI Song to a Style

* Importing Midi Groove to a Style

* Guitar Mode

* DETECTION Chord Sequence from/to a Standard Midi File
(importing works if the MIDI contains chord markers!)

* RECORD MIDI MODE:
1. quick record (style+pad+upper1,2,3+left)
2. step by step

* STYLE CONTROL kick&snare 1,2,3,4 change

* individually load 1 style or 1 user, or 1 voice is missing, for now only COMPLETE KST!

-------------------------------------------------- --
these are the errors I found:
1. individually load 1 style or 1 user, or 1 voice is missing, for now only COMPLETE KST!

2. the COPY function does not work correctly or at all. (try: user style, for example, Best Funky to copy to an empty position and change the name for, for example, the name of a song) COPY is active, but the screen stops responding, it is not possible to continue working! Neither flip pages nor PASTE.

3. If you turn off the MEMORY button on styles to hold chords. PAD cannot be turned on!

4. My working Pa4x backup (2GB user STYLE+SOUND) cannot be imported. The process takes several hours! The process will abort itself or restart Pa5X

5. problem with many types of micro SD cards with larger capacities. (from 64 GB and above) there is no microSD detection for format option.

6. when playing two PLAYER 1 + PLAYER 2 and the BALANCE FADER is in the middle (centered), there is no option to activate the given song or style without using the BALANCE FADER. Balance fader is a bad way to activate. There are big VOLUME differences! between player 1 and player 2

7. I'm missing the exact designation of USER sound (USER1 ...USER DK2) in the midi or STYLE track. The current icon does NOT inform about it.
It cannot be detected from the panel, which is already very hidden.

so far, this knowledge is not all.
deminda

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw somewhere there is Guitar mode 2 on Pa5x. So , according to the above comments there is no Guitar mode ???? I heavily rely on guitar mode not only for style creation. I use it in conjunction with a DAW on my compositions. I put the Pa4x on REC mode and print the strumming pattern which uses the Guitar mode engine.. So this function is not available ???
Alexxis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The manual of the Pa5x can be downloaded here:

https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/product/0/895/

Have a look yourself. The search for "guitar mode" in the pdf-file shows no results. At the moment i strongly hesitate buying a Pa5x.
Nemik
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexxis wrote:
The manual of the Pa5x can be downloaded here:

https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/product/0/895/

Have a look yourself. The search for "guitar mode" in the pdf-file shows no results. At the moment i strongly hesitate buying a Pa5x.

Why don't you look on product page/ Specifications ?
https://www.korg.com/us/products/synthesizers/pa5x/specifications.php

Then you find in STYLE section:

Quote:
Factory: More than 600 Factory Styles, freely programmable
Eight Style Tracks, 4 Keyboard Sets and 4 Pads per Style; Programmable Sounds, Effects and Style parameters
Guitar Mode 2, Parallel and Fixed NTT (Note Transposition Table)
Style Record and Event Edit
Style Elements: 3 Intros, 4 Variations, 4 Fills, 1 Break, 3 Endings
Style Controls: Play/Stop, Synchro Start, Synchro Stop, Tap Tempo/Reset, Auto Fill, Memory, Bass Inversion, Manual Bass, Bass & Lower Backing, Drum & Bass, Individual Style Tracks Mute, Style to Keyboard Set Set

Wink

EDIT: Also you can find same info in Korg Pa5X Performance Guide v10 manual on page 726.
Fl Studio 21, Ableton Live 10 Suite.
Korg Pa5x Sounds at Performers Heaven

Last edited by Nemik on Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
deminda

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought there will be another manual coming up as the reference manual/ parameter guide.
Alexxis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got some infos from my distributor who contacted Korg. None of the missing features is implemented yet. There are plans of doing that in future updates. He couldn´t tell a date when. The only exception is the guitar mode which already works. Why it couldn´t find it´s way into the manual he coudn´t tell.

So what do you think of that. Are you going to miss the Pa4x features? Or is it more a minor thing for you?
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many features were added to the Pa4X via OS updates.

Very surprised that people essentially are moaning about said features being missing from the Mark 1 version of what is a very major change in the Korg OS.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, things are only "missing" if they are in the manual/specs and NOT in the keyboard.

The whole issue of "missing features" from the PA1X onwards was mostly about features that were not carried forward into later models.
In reality, they are not missing but desires to have been carried forward.

This PA5x is very new - new OS and design so it will not appear "the same" and it will seem like some features are not there or do not work in the same way.
The keyboard is not even 3 weeks old so if you are lucky enough to have one and are posting concerns and issues on the forum then I say a big "thank you" because we will all share and learn and hopefully (as in the past) identify some serious bugs or changes that are required. As others have said, there will be updates.

Thanks to all for all your feedback...

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:39 pm    Post subject: Publishing MISSING is necessary - but no insult to a majesty Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
.. things are only "missing" if they are in the manual/specs and NOT in the keyboard.

The whole issue of "missing features" from the PA1X onwards was mostly about features that were not carried forward into later models.
In reality, they are not missing but desires to have been carried forward. ..

Hello Pete,
it's too easy and too convenient to say nothing is missing when it's not missing in the manual.

Unless there is a detailed reference manual, your interpretation generally makes it impossible to describe missing features in detail.

However, one can expect from an even more improved successor model that the proven and well-known features of the predecessor model.

Whether one wants to call this missing or an insufficiency is quibbling - in case it is missing for a usual function of the instrument, regardless of whether it is missing in a manual or not.

For example, anyone who has already missed the fill mode in the Pa4x - which was submitted later in an update - is also missing it in the Pa5x if one have used it in performances since the Pa1x.
Most of those reported "missing features" from the PA1X onwards really was missing.

PS: If found "User PCM Sample memory: 4 GB of data" in Performance Guide, but display "Sampling Main" show "Samples Size Max" 2,5 GB it may be allowed to publish here whether something is "missing" (or not?)

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa5X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: