Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Volume / Clipping (Multiple Notes / Chords)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavestate / MkII / SE
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pplastic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:28 am    Post subject: Volume / Clipping (Multiple Notes / Chords) Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm wondering if there is a better way to control the summed volume of multiple notes/ chords? Sometimes with the sounds I am making, if I use it to play chords the volume is way too loud and starts clipping but reducing the amp levels down of course makes one note too low. This is much more drastic when using multiple layers. Is there a function to change the volume when multiple notes / chords are played or is this not possible?

I do find the wave state clips very easily in comparison to my other synths.

I am pretty new to synths and the Wavestate so hope I'm not asking a too obvious question.

Cheers

EDIT

Just a quick edit note, if I use the Wavestate in multisample mode I don't get the volume issue, its only in sequence mode. So an init patch, running just one step (sine wave etc), press one key - volume is fine, 2 keys volume doubles, 3 keys volume seems to double again, 4 keys - sound clipping. I guess the synth just isn't designed for this really unless in multisample mode?
paipa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a compressor, which you can turn on under Pre-FX. The default Modern Compressor will do just fine.
RobustAmerican

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Volume / Clipping (Multiple Notes / Chords) Reply with quote

pplastic wrote:
Hello,

I'm wondering if there is a better way to control the summed volume of multiple notes/ chords?

Yes!

You can use the "Prog #of Voices" or "Perf #of Voices" as the source to modulate the volume negatively. This will do exactly what you need. The more notes you play, the lower the volume. You could point it at the Amp level or the filter trim for starters. You can use 2 or 3 of these modulation routings in series to increase the drop in volume. So it's like a compressor that is keyed by the number of voices played. Except it won't alter the attack or tone of the sound at all like a compressor might.

Be careful with your volume if you try to just use the standard compressor pre-fx. It's default settings boost the volume by 4db.
pplastic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

You can use the "Prog #of Voices" or "Perf #of Voices" as the source to modulate the volume negatively.

Wow thanks Robust American, I'll definitely try this out later when I get back from work. It sounds perfect. Thanks so much for replying!
pplastic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I tried this last night and modulating the AMP level negatively to either "Prog #of Voices" or "Perf #of Voices" doesn't really seem to make much difference to the volume - it does make a tiny difference but not really useful for the issue.

I wonder if I am doing something wrong?

I was trying to work out how the modulation would sum up the correlating levels, so if I am on "minus 100" modulation of 'amp level' how many 'voices' should be needed to be played to reduce the 'amp' say '100%'. Would it be 100 voices? Wink

I tried adding multiple mods of the same type but it didn't make any additional difference.

The compressor works well but it's a shame to have to use up the FX slot.

Any further thoughts anyone?

Cheers
RobustAmerican

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, one more attempt with this method. Try modulating the "Layer Volume" instead of the amp level. This destination only offers the "Perf # of Voices" or "Perf # of Notes" but it takes a much bigger bite and only requires 1 instance of the mod routing for nearly 10db of gain reduction.

I'm not playing live gigs so I mostly handle these kind of issues with volume automation in the daw.
pplastic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Robust

The layer volume works much better at controlling the level, with each note seemingly reducing maybe by approx. 1db.

I had to use the editor to work out how to do it, if anyone wants to know:

I think the way on the unit is:

Press Perform
Use shift + page to go to layers
Use the arrows to go the the volume (right hand column)
Then MOD +

Its unfortunate there isn't a list of modulatable parameters anywhere.

Cheers!
paipa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pplastic wrote:

Its unfortunate there isn't a list of modulatable parameters anywhere.

I can help you with that: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTcxp5Mf0Gf9roRqmKEKStoXhgsN5Q5ERe9QPXAFc6-R1kSNApjwB5HrBeYuLjNhSnJLA2EPVIZgDEr/pubhtml I might turn this into something nicer one day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavestate / MkII / SE All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: