Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg USB Driver - 32 bit and 64 bit concurrent operation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
timg11

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:17 pm    Post subject: Korg USB Driver - 32 bit and 64 bit concurrent operation Reply with quote

Until the introduction of 64 bit, MIDI was easily sharable between Windows applications. Several apps could open the same MIDI input, and get the same data.

Today, (for example) I cannot share "KRONOS 1 KEYBOARD" to Cakewalk Sonar (64b) and MIDI-OX (32b). If MIDI-OX is running with "KRONOS 1 KEYBOARD" open, Cakewalk can't access "KRONOS 1 KEYBOARD", reporting "The driver was not enabled". If I start Cakewalk first, then MIDI-OX fails at startup with "The driver was not enabled".

I looked into the "Configure KORG USB-MIDI Driver" app. At the bottom, it has a drop down menu for "Both", "32 bit only" and "64 bit only". It is set for "Both".

What other settings are needed to enable 32 bit and 64 bit concurrent operation?
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same behaviour on my computer as well, running W10 v1909. Looking at the Korg compatibility chart, about the MIDI-USB driver it is specified that A 64-bit application and a 32-bit application cannot use the same MIDI IN port simultaneously.
timg11

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a test, I used loopMIDI to create a virtual MIDI device.
I used MIDI-OX to route the KRONOS 1 KEYBOARD MIDI input to the loopMIDI driver.

I was then able to open loopMIDI as an input device in 64 bit Cakewalk and 32-bit MIDI programs (such as my SysexFiler) at the same time. I confirmed that note and sysex data were received in both applications.

This is a "Rube Goldberg" approach and not really practical for day to day use, but it does demonstrate that Windows MIDI drivers support concurrent use by 32 bit and 64 bit applications. It also demonstrates that Tobias Erichsen knows how to write such a driver.

There are other drivers out there also, such as LoopBe that I have not tested

Since the Korg USB driver is used by many Korg products, hopefully they will be willing to invest the effort in properly implementing their driver.
I don't see a forum here for drivers, so I guess this forum is a good as any.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: