Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another startup failure thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cjfox

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:20 pm    Post subject: Another startup failure thread Reply with quote

I bought a used original Kronos 61 about 18months ago. Although original, it had updated SSD (64G) and 3G ram, with some of the newer sound packages. Worked great for about a year, then suddenly I got the dreaded "startup failure, disconnect any USB devices".
I have fixed a lot of my equipment in the past, so I went on line and did the recommended stuff:
Re-seated all cables and RAM
I had the old SSD that came with the Kronos, hooked that up
I checked the voltage to the SSD
I swapped the SATA cable, and ports
Put in Brand new RAM
Cleaned the power and USB connectors

Nothing changed
I hooked up a VGA monitor to the VGA port in hopes of seeing the BIOS, but nothing came up.
Is my motherboard toast? I'm thinking that's it. Any other tests to make sure that's the problem?
I have contacted Korg Canada to find a repair shop near me. I took it to one place that was "authorized" but after 4 months the guy hadn't even opened the case, so I just took it home. If it's the motherboard I'll just do it myself.
soarsco

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried booting from the system install disks with a CDROM?
Without doing the install, might tell you if the MB is doing something, though the fact you are seeing a startup error seems to say the MB is alive.

If you have a spare SSD, might try doing a fresh install.
cjfox

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give that a try, although I've heard the type of disc drive can be finnicky.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another easy test is the power supply outputs. Open your unit and start it four times, testing one single voltage individually for the entire bootup sequence. See if it suddenly drops or is not even correct. Everything must stay plugged as usual for this test to work. I've seen the power supply as the cause of the problem you mention a few times. If needed, I've sent you by PM a pic I've made for the voltages.
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soarsco wrote:
Have you tried booting from the system install disks with a CDROM?
Without doing the install, might tell you if the MB is doing something, though the fact you are seeing a startup error seems to say the MB is alive.

If you have a spare SSD, might try doing a fresh install.

Not quite: the Kronos has two processors, both running separate software at boot. The “Startup Error” message is displayed by the ARM processor with f it can’t communicate with the software running on the motherboard within a certain period of time of switching the unit on.

The fact the VGA port isn’t outputting anything would suggest the motherboard isn’t booting from ROM or POSTing. Likely to be either a power supply issue, bad RAM or a faulty motherboard/CPU Sad
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
cjfox

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. Went through the power supply, checked out OK, already tried new RAM, would not boot from a CD drive, although I have a no name CD drive, so maybe didn't like the drive. Everything seems to point to the motherboard. I'll get one from fleabay, as that seems the only place to get them. Stay tuned for updates.
cjfox

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's fixed, yay! I swapped out the motherboard with one I got on Fleabay, didn't even have to do weird authorization stuff. Thanks to all who replied.[/img]
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

Glad you could fix your Kronos and also that you could find a replacement MB as they seem to be more and more rare.

Did you find a replacement Kronos MB or did you instead buy a "conventional" MB such as an ASRock and had to modify it to work in the Kronos ? Just curious.
cjfox

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an original Kronos 61, so I got an intel d510m, the exact replacement. Thankfully there's still a few out there for sale. All used ones.
cjfox

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My optimism was premature, I'm back to getting the startup failure. Worked for a couple of days, then back to square one. I even was using a UPS after everyone said I should. Ideas? I was so excited to have it back. Maybe the power supply? even though it tested OK, maybe it's an intermittant problem that doesn't show up for a while?
cjfox

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It starts up after cooling down, so I'll open it up and check the fan, and maybe add some more cooling.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When your Kronos starts, monitor the temp in Global mode to see. It should not increase too quickly and stay under 70 C.
cjfox

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip, yes the temp was going up way too fast. I didn't let get up to 70. I opened it up and the fan wasn't moving despite changing the settiings in Global mode, so I hooked up a monitor to the MB and changed the BIOS to "fan on 100%". Works fine now, I'm going to mount an additional fan over the CPU like some others have done, however I'm going to attach it to the bottom of the case and drill some vent holes. The Kronos X and later have vents but not the original! Attaching the fan to the CPU heat sink seemed difficult without accidentally damaging the unit. I'll post some pics when I'm done.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you've found the real culprit this time. Keep us posted about your upcoming fan mod, it's always interesting to see what people decide to do for the Kronos. I see you have the 61 keys type, maybe the smaller Kronos models suffer more from lack of ventilation but that's just I guess.
cjfox

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've expanded the ventilation with 2 extra fans. One blows directly above the CPU, and one exhausts the hot air from the other side and the SSD fan blows it across from in to out. I got the extra quiet Noctua fans and paralleled them in to the regular fan supply. On auto you can hear them, but on slow you can't hear them. Doesn't exceed 48C on slow.
Not sure how to post photos. I post it on the Facebook Kronos enthusiast page with pictures.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: