Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yamaha MODX+

View previous topic :: View next topic  
keego

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:29 pm    Post subject: Yamaha MODX+ Reply with quote

Yamaha to shortly release an updated version of the MODX. Looks like it's to compete with the fantom 0. If Nautilus is the Kronos replacement then Korg really need to look at replacing the Krome with something.

Previous:
Korg:X5D,Wavestation, N364, Trinity,Triton Classic,Triton Studio, Korg M3 61 w/ EXB-Radias
Ensoniq:TS12, SD1, ASR10
Roland:XP10, JD-800, Roland XV88, A90ex
Kurzweil:K2500RS, K2661, PC3
Nord: Electro 3
boj

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Yamaha MODX+ Reply with quote

keego wrote:
Yamaha to shortly release an updated version of the MODX. Looks like it's to compete with the fantom 0. If Nautilus is the Kronos replacement then Korg really need to look at replacing the Krome with something.

I got the new Modx8+
It is great.

Modx+ is a cost-effective Montage.
Fantom-0 is a crippled Fantom.

Very smart move, Yamaha.
xp50player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantom-O retains more front panel controls from the flagship than MODX+ or Nautilus. It has the same user 2Gb as the full Fantom, keeps all the engines except the V-Piano, keeps the full 16 stereo channel USB audio, unlike the MODX+. The O has a little bit less I/O, no AFX, one less input IFX.
bpoodoo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The acoustic pianos on MODX+ and Fantom-0 are not very good. They may sound good layered, but by themselves they are unimpressive. I would guess that both Yamaha and Roland intentionally dumb down the pianos on these keyboards so as not to compete with their respective digital piano product lines.
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boj wrote:
Modx+ is a cost-effective Montage.
Fantom-0 is a crippled Fantom.

Picking up from what xp50player said, they just chose different ways to cut down the flagship. Besides the ones he mentioned, unlike Yamaha, Roland did not cut down on the number of parts that can have effects, or on as much of the connectivity (it still has balanced outs, assignable outs).

I like both boards. Yamaha has advantages like the FM engine, generally better integration of external sounds (e.g. iPad), the ability to specify two independent insert effects on a sound, more memory for keyboard-playable user samples, available computer-based editor (3rd-party), and I prefer some of its acoustic instrument emulations. I also think Yamaha has the better 61/76 key action (subjective, I know). Roland has advantages like tonewheel and VA synth engines, ability to play up to 16 sounds at once from the keyboard (or 8 with seamless switching) which is double that of the Yamaha (in both cases), assignable outs, pads, better real-time control of drum patterns, and easier sound editing.

xp50player wrote:
Fantom-O...has the same user 2Gb as the full Fantom.
but not for the keyboard-playable samples, which were reduced from 2 GB to 256 mb, IIRC.

bpoodoo wrote:
The acoustic pianos on MODX+ and Fantom-0 are not very good.

I think the MODX pianos are much better than those on Fantom-0. I also happen to like them better than most Korg acoustic pianos! Especially when MODX first came out, I don't think Korg had anything at/near its price that had pianos that sounded as good. Even today, I don't think there's a Korg at or below the MODX+ price that sounds as good for piano.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But pianos are so subjective and it depends on the context. Smile

My favourite Piano for most things is SGX2 in the Kronos or Modart Pianoteq, as sympathetic string resonance really brings pianos to life when you want subtlety and depth. And Pianoteq also has the best CP70/80 emulation I have ever heard. Drop a chorus over it, and you get instant Tony Banks...

But my "goto rock piano" remains my 1998 vintage Yamaha EX5 (now in EX5R form since I retired my EX5 boards) and its "Stereo Piano" preset, which really cuts through any mix. No other Yamaha piano is as good as this one IMO for rock duties despite all the improvements in sample quality and sample length over the last 20 years (and that includes my Montage).

But, as I said, piano sounds are so subjective...

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
bpoodoo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:

xp50player wrote:
Fantom-O...has the same user 2Gb as the full Fantom.
but not for the keyboard-playable samples, which were reduced from 2 GB to 256 mb, IIRC.
I think the MODX pianos are much better than those on Fantom-0. I also happen to like them better than most Korg acoustic pianos!.

Derek Cook wrote:
But pianos are so subjective and it depends on the context. Smile

Well I love talking about pianos - and I agree with all the comments of it being a matter personal preference and musical context. If there were one perfectly sampled/modeled digital piano implementation, completely configurable to suit anyone's tastes, it would probably kept in a vault never to be released! So we instead pick and choose among the many piano offerings and the products that host them.

The MODX+ (1.75Gb) has the edge over the Fantom-0 (256Mb) for providing more memory for 3rd party possibilities if you want to load a deeply sampled piano into your keyboard. I see that the Bosendorfer 290 Imperial Grand (which requires 383Mb) is currently still available for free with the MODX+.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: