Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg EM-1 Midi-Ox Sysex Dump (sending and receiving)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Travelinni

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kukuruzo wrote:

They all end with 00 Sad

same here , let me know if you succeed in dumping a successful dump , pass me the midi-ox buffer settings and i'll try it on mine , somehow it might work.
If you made it before then , you can do it again.
Kukuruzo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

I've successfully dumped the sysex via MIDIOX.
It has F7 ending. What next?
Meatbingo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just spent last night and this morning struggling with the very same problem described here. Trying to make pattern bulk dumps from my EM-1 but receiving incomplete sysex. Tried multiple programs (MIDI-OX, Bome SX, Elektron C6) but never able to receive a full dump of 129,031 bytes. Instead, the dumps were around 128,000.

I noticed that the MIDI indicator on my interface (Focusrite 18i8) was constantly lit, showing data was being continually received. Monitoring the MIDI data showed a continuous stream of F8 messages (MIDI clock). I used my MIDIpal device to filter these out. Changing the clock settings on the EM-1 made no difference.

Now, I have been able to receive dumps of the correct size, and been able to transmit these back to the EM-1. It seems that the clock messages were interfering with the transmission somehow.

Just wanted to update this thread for anyone who might still be having difficulty. If you don't have a MIDIpal or similar, you can probably filter out the clock messages with software.
Kukuruzo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meatbingo wrote:

Now, I have been able to receive dumps of the correct size, and been able to transmit these back to the EM-1. It seems that the clock messages were interfering with the transmission somehow.

Just wanted to update this thread for anyone who might still be having difficulty. If you don't have a MIDIpal or similar, you can probably filter out the clock messages with software.

Hi, thanks for reply. I'm still not able to download/upload the dumps to EM-1. Could you please make a step-by-step video for everybody, for the whole world? Please Laughing
wolzow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travelinni wrote:

same here , let me know if you succeed in dumping a successful dump , pass me the midi-ox buffer settings and i'll try it on mine , somehow it might work.

This is an ancient thread, I know, but did you finally succeed with your EM-1 MIDI Dumps? I am about to release the Shaman firmware upgrade for EM-1, noticed this posting and tried to recreate this. I have not been able to reproduce the issue you have, everything seems to work prefectly. I suggest it has nothing to do with MIDI-OX or yur EM-1 but has a lot to do with the MIDI Interface you mention (MIDISPORT 2x2) that btw is iblacklisted on Electribe Shaman Installation page as well. So did you manage to sort this out?

(Although I would not recommend MIDI-OX for Sysex transfers at all, BomeSX, Elektron C6 or PocketMIDI are way more reliable).
otzcz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:38 am    Post subject: SAME HERE Reply with quote

Travelinni wrote:
Kukuruzo wrote:

They all end with 00 Sad

OH, HELLO GUYS! GUESS WHAT I'M GOING TO TELL YOU.. Very Happy

I have to share something with you..yesterday I opened few tabs here on Korg Forums, initially for something related to V. Beats, but everything about old electribes I want to read too, bcs I'm the happy owner of the old red one. When I started reading this topic, not much focused, I was smiling, bcs I did dump via MIDI-OX few times during last 3 yrs without issues..but with more readed pages here and on midiox forum I got suspicious, so I tried to dump out the patterns..and surprise, the syx file doesn't end with F7. But not only this last one, all of my backups ends with zeros Sad((

So I said "shieeet" and dive deeper to analysis, also midiox help and electribe shaman web, I also tried to change buffer settings (I had 2048 bytes and 64 buffers before bcs I thought that is bulleproof) and sent the syx back to ER-1, old backup of all as 1st and pattern backup as 2nd..it runs without any error message, ER-1 is still alive but I'm pretty unsure, what is the right finish, Korg's manual says nothing about it.

The quick comparasion of pattern dump syx files - the factory original from J. Bernard and mine backup - has this result:
ER1_Pattern_JB.syx: size 276 194 bytes (294912 B on disk), last line 436E
my_korg_dump_pattern.syx: size 274 945 bytes (also 294912 B on disk), last line 431F

So it makes difference of 1249 bytes and 78 lines, there is just missing data. OK, we know, BUT there is two things:

1: If i opened the "incomplete" pattern dump in sysex browser (by E. Shaman) and checked the last pattern, it corresponds to data on HW. So, this is OK, somehow.
http://electribe.cc/wp/2019/03/23/electribe-sysex-browser/

and more important 2: MIDI-OX input monitor records at the end of all dumps this:

0001BF55 Ste -- -- Buffer: 512 Bytes SysEx Continue
0001BFEE Ste -- -- Buffer: 512 Bytes SysEx Continue
0001C088 Ste -- -- Buffer: 512 Bytes SysEx Continue
0001C0D5 Ste -- B0 00 00 1 --- CC: Bank MSB
0001C123 Ste -- B0 5E 00 1 --- CC: Celeste Depth
0001C171 Ste -- B0 03 00 1 --- Control Change
0001C1C0 Ste -- B0 00 04 1 --- CC: Bank MSB
0001C1FE Ste -- B0 00 00 1 --- CC: Bank MSB

..and it's wrong, so I guess that some piece of data (probably header of next packet saying "this is sysex") is not recieved and it causes "error in translation", AND IT'S THE POINT OF THIS TROUBLE.

Solution always depends on source of the problem, so to find it I used exclusion method:
1. I filtered out all other data than sysex from monitoring and everything on midiox side, and the dump simply ended with zeros as usual.
2. Then I set MIDI filter on ER-1 to PCE --o (means just sysex data will be transmitted and received), same result.
3. I also tried another MIDI application, Pocket MIDI, it recieves no dump data (bcs I probably set ports badly), but on the end of dump its MIDI monitor records those CC messages too, so finally: it's not caused by any part on the PC side.
4. Another way (WIDI BLE) or platform (Android) is wrong way, amout of dump data causes that applications crashes or get frozen.

Here, to exclude probably last "not-caused-by-Korg-itself" option, I have to say, that my ER-1 was already upgraded to E. Shaman's last fw (in the end of last year), I also loaded custom samples into it, all these procedures was done without any hickups, and ER-1 runs still smoothly.
As I mentioned up here, older MIDI dumps from ER-1 with factory firmware are shorten too.

So here we are, after all this research and tests, my suspicion directs to some wrong synchronization of data transport, or just missing/wrong instruction in particular line of code.

If E. Shaman or somebody with knowledge will not be so great to fix it, or just share some know-how and resources, we will have to fix it by simply replacing that missing end of data dumps from healthier sources.

So I'm gonna to try it now.
Digitakt, ER-1, Volca Beats + Bass + Modular, Neutron, k-2, Microfreak, Liven XFM, Beatstep Pro, Keystep, UC-33e, few FX (Zoom G1four, Razzor DD+DS, EHX Platform+HolyStain, Samson C.com), Mackie 1202 VLZ4, pair of RCF AyraPro6

Last edited by otzcz on Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:34 pm; edited 6 times in total
otzcz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:14 pm    Post subject: my setup Reply with quote

Just for sure, I'm using Steinberg UR22mkII as MIDI2USB device, laptop Dell with maintained Win10 Pro x64 OS, and last version of MIDI-OX.
Digitakt, ER-1, Volca Beats + Bass + Modular, Neutron, k-2, Microfreak, Liven XFM, Beatstep Pro, Keystep, UC-33e, few FX (Zoom G1four, Razzor DD+DS, EHX Platform+HolyStain, Samson C.com), Mackie 1202 VLZ4, pair of RCF AyraPro6
otzcz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:22 pm    Post subject: similar issue Reply with quote

https://forum.renoise.com/t/any-korg-er1-users-here-with-sysex-success/47137/21
otzcz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: SAME HERE Reply with quote

otzcz wrote:

Well, I'm done Smile Incomplete syx file (all pattern data dump) is fixed and succesfully dumped back to ER-1, me lucky.. :]]

Procedure:

1. get proper, healthy SYX file of demanded data type somewhere (for ER and EA it's easily available on Korg's support web)

2. get some HEX editor (because even the lister for text can show data properly, you can copy j ANSI formatted text part, which is useless)

Win10 suggestion> https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/super-hex-editor/9NNT3NJHSF16?hl=en-us&gl=US

3. compare the SYX files (totalcmd ftw;) and find the "last byte position", where your incomplete data ends

4. open your incomplete SYX file in MIDIOX SysEx tool (command window)

5. open proper SYX file in HEX editor and copy all bytes after your "last byte position" to the end

6. paste them to the MIDIOX command window right after your data, check the spaces between bytes, then F7 byte at the end (it has to be very last byte)

7. send it to your electribe and enjoy the SUCCESS Smile)
wolzow

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: SAME HERE Reply with quote

Quote:
So I said "shieeet" and dive deeper to analysis, also midiox help and electribe shaman web,

Cool
Found my trusty 'red' Electribe. Re-reflashed it to Shaman 3.0.8, just to be sure. Restored factory preload patterns, again, just to be sure. Using MIDI-OX like you did.

Dumped ALL PATTERNS, both with Sysex command and from menu. Both files are identical, end with F7 and upload without issues. File length 276194.
Dumped CURRENT PATTERN (A01), both with Sysex command and from menu (using Pt.1 option provided by Shaman firmware). Again, both files are identical, end with F7 and upload without issues. File length 1085.

So, I cannot reproduce the issues you are having. I sent you all those complete files in mail. My guess is that somehow MIDI-OX prematurely decides to close the file while writing. My personal (probably not very popular) opinion: MIDI-OX is overrated. It does many things but only so-so and excels at none. I tend to avoid it in anything critical. There are better tools for Sysex manipulation on Win platform, eg. Elektron's C6, Bome SendSX, PocketMIDI, and there's Protokol for MIDI monitoring.

Sorry if this did not help.
otzcz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: SAME HERE Reply with quote

wolzow wrote:
Quote:
So I said "shieeet" and dive deeper to analysis, also midiox help and electribe shaman web,

Cool
Found my trusty 'red' Electribe. Re-reflashed it to Shaman 3.0.8, just to be sure. Restored factory preload patterns, again, just to be sure. Using MIDI-OX like you did.

Dumped ALL PATTERNS, both with Sysex command and from menu. Both files are identical, end with F7 and upload without issues. File length 276194.
Dumped CURRENT PATTERN (A01), both with Sysex command and from menu (using Pt.1 option provided by Shaman firmware). Again, both files are identical, end with F7 and upload without issues. File length 1085.

So, I cannot reproduce the issues you are having. I sent you all those complete files in mail. My guess is that somehow MIDI-OX prematurely decides to close the file while writing. My personal (probably not very popular) opinion: MIDI-OX is overrated. It does many things but only so-so and excels at none. I tend to avoid it in anything critical. There are better tools for Sysex manipulation on Win platform, eg. Elektron's C6, Bome SendSX, PocketMIDI, and there's Protokol for MIDI monitoring.

Sorry if this did not help.

Yep, but:

"I also tried another MIDI application, Pocket MIDI, it recieves no dump data (bcs I probably set ports badly), but on the end of dump its MIDI monitor records those CC messages too, so finally: it's not caused by any part on the PC side."

C6 wasn't tested yet.

So I'm still not sure about MIDI-OX as source of error. But thanks anyway, paying more attention to results of procedures in it will worth it Smile
Kukuruzo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone

I see that you eventually had success in dumping the patterns from EM-1. Could please explain the procedure and send me the dump template file which was downloaded from a German forum (the forum is dead now and I can't download the file from there anymore).

I would be very glad if you are able to make a video on how to save/restore the patterns from a dump file. I'm not that skilled in MIDI as you are.

Hope for your help

Thanks in advance
otzcz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kukuruzo wrote:
Hello everyone

I see that you eventually had success in dumping the patterns from EM-1. Could please explain the procedure and send me the dump template file which was downloaded from a German forum (the forum is dead now and I can't download the file from there anymore).

I would be very glad if you are able to make a video on how to save/restore the patterns from a dump file. I'm not that skilled in MIDI as you are.

Hope for your help

Thanks in advance

DID YOU TRIED MY SUGGESTION?

otzcz wrote:
otzcz wrote:

Well, I'm done Smile Incomplete syx file (all pattern data dump) is fixed and succesfully dumped back to ER-1, me lucky.. :]]

Procedure:

1. get proper, healthy SYX file of demanded data type somewhere (for ER and EA it's easily available on Korg's support web)

2. get some HEX editor (because even the lister for text can show data properly, you can copy j ANSI formatted text part, which is useless)

Win10 suggestion> https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/super-hex-editor/9NNT3NJHSF16?hl=en-us&gl=US

3. compare the SYX files (totalcmd ftw;) and find the "last byte position", where your incomplete data ends

4. open your incomplete SYX file in MIDIOX SysEx tool (command window)

5. open proper SYX file in HEX editor and copy all bytes after your "last byte position" to the end

6. paste them to the MIDIOX command window right after your data, check the spaces between bytes, then F7 byte at the end (it has to be very last byte)

7. send it to your electribe and enjoy the SUCCESS Smile)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: