Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone else [im]patiently awaiting the Wavestate SE?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavestate / MkII / SE
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:25 pm    Post subject: Anyone else [im]patiently awaiting the Wavestate SE? Reply with quote

Announced back in Jan 2021, we've heard nothing at all about the Wavestate SE since, as far as I can tell. Maybe I've missed it...

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the 37-key layout (I have an Opsix but don't enjoy playing it via its keybed -- it is essentially an oversized FM module for me), so I was very excited when Korg said they were developing a 61-key version of the Wavestate with aftertouch.

I dunno, maybe supply chain issues and chip shortages are to blame for not seeing the SE released yet. But I can't help but wonder if the project has been scrapped (perhaps the VST stole its thunder?). Or maybe Korg received feedback on the SE design and decided to further rework it? Who knows? I surely don't. LOL.

Anyway, is anyone else still awaiting the release of the SE? Prices for the 37-key Wavestate are dropping, yet even so I just know that if get one now, the very next day after I buy it the SE release date will be announced. ;)
afr

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm patiently waiting, in the meantime I enjoy my 37 keys version
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it has been just over two years (and supply chain issues notwithstanding), I've officially given up hope on the SE version.

Maybe it's a good thing. I have too many synths as it is and I still love and use my 1990s Wavestations (EX and A/D) anyway. I was just thinking about the first time I touched and played a Wavestation in a music store back in 1991 and immediately fell in love with it. It was a "I found my forever synth" moment. LOL.
mike3000

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:31 am    Post subject: Korg Wavestate SE Reply with quote

Like you, I have been patiently waiting for the release of the Wavestate SE for the last two years. In fact, I have held back on buying the Wavestate as I would love a 61 key version, just like the original Wavestation, which was one of my favourite synths back in the day. It is very frustrating that there has not been a peep out of Korg since NAMM 2021. You would think they would at least give some sort of progress announcement about it. I know the worldwide semiconductor chip shortage has been a huge factor in the delay of many synths, but some more customer-focussed companies, like Behringer, have at least kept their customers in the loop. I am, however, beginning to think that Korg has put the Wavestate SE on the back burner. Nobody really knows, except Korg, and that makes me feel rather insulted as a longterm (like 40 years!) customer and user of Korg products.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can’t buy a Raspberry Pi anywhere right now so it doesn’t surprise me that KORG haven’t released the SE. That being said, it’s estimated that 6 months from now, Pi’s will start to become available again in unlimitedly quantities. So, maybe KORG will consider releasing the SE a few months from now.

My 2 cents....If you are holding off buying a wavestate in the hopes KORG does release the SE, I wouldn't wait and risk missing out. The Wavestate as it stands right now at 37 keys is an excellent synth as well as super value.

Kind regards
Sharp.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too was lusting after a Wavestate SE when it was announced. I got my Wavestate two years ago when there was no VST or larger format seemingly available, and as Sharp says it is an excellent synth, but I play it from other instruments. Three octaves and no aftertouch is not the right keyboard for this synth!

But now Korg have released Wavestate Native, I do not think I am lusting after the SE, and my guess is it might never be released now. Same with the Modwave. I waited for Modwave native and have been rewarded.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for your comments. I suppose we'll see what happens... if anything. It would be incredible if they do release the SE version, particularly if they add a few things that the OG doesn't have. I don't know anything about the Raspberry PI or what these can support for graphical screens, but honestly, a larger screen would top my list for the SE. I doubt that will happen regardless. But one can hope....

As for Native, I don't use my computer for music creation -- only as a librarian/patch manager, and sometimes for MIDI OX to trace what's happening in my MIDI data stream, and Audacity for recording mixdowns. I've yet to enjoy working ITB for anything.

I did pick up a Modwave recently, which sits next to my Opsix. I kinda have this plan to get a Jasper stand, on which I'll mount these 37-key synths nearly vertically with the keys somewhat hidden, somehow, so that they become more like proper modules. Or I'll do something else. I dunno. Again, not a fan of the 37-key format at all.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardSync wrote:
I don't know anything about the Raspberry PI or what these can support for graphical screens, but honestly, a larger screen would top my list for the SE. I doubt that will happen regardless. But one can hope....

Based on the CPU usage that the wavestate can display, KORG is running the Compute Module 3 comfortably on the high end when they need to. CPU usage can get high, but it’s always within the scope of what the synth is meant to offer and be able to do.

That being said, there are now faster Compute Module 4 these days, so who knows, maybe an SE could do more and have a bigger screen if they wanted. More RAM for samples is always welcome Smile

I look forward to seeing more products based off these boards.

Regards
Sharp.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardSync wrote:

As for Native, I don't use my computer for music creation -- only as a librarian/patch manager, and sometimes for MIDI OX to trace what's happening in my MIDI data stream, and Audacity for recording mixdowns. I've yet to enjoy working ITB for anything.

Each to their own of course. Smile

I have an NUC PC at the heart of my gig rack, which runs Cantabile that acts as a MIDI hub/processor and all my keyboards are connected to this in a star configuration for ultimate flexibility. It also runs any VST I care to use within Cantabile as a live host. Best of both worlds when combined with my hardware synths. Smile

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavestate / MkII / SE All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: