Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NS5R - some questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nötigenfalls

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: NS5R - some questions Reply with quote

Hello,

I just bougt the great NS5R and played a little bit around.
Now i want to use it seriously and need to know some things. i hope some of u guys can help me with it.

Here are my Questions:

- Is there an Editor wich works on Win7 where i can download the patches and edit some new?
- Is it possible to dump the Patch List via Midi Out with an Midi to USB Cable?
- in the appendix of the manual there is the first Bank wich is called "Multi Sample" but where on the rack can i find this one? It starts with "GM01"

Greetz from Germany and excuse (maybe much) mistakes in the text!
JoelFan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: NS5R - some questions Reply with quote

Nötigenfalls wrote:
Hello,

I just bougt the great NS5R and played a little bit around.
Now i want to use it seriously and need to know some things. i hope some of u guys can help me with it.

Here are my Questions:

- Is there an Editor wich works on Win7 where i can download the patches and edit some new?
- Is it possible to dump the Patch List via Midi Out with an Midi to USB Cable?
- in the appendix of the manual there is the first Bank wich is called "Multi Sample" but where on the rack can i find this one? It starts with "GM01"

Greetz from Germany and excuse (maybe much) mistakes in the text!

- Yes. Take a look at http://www.ugoaudio.com/korgn/
- Yes.
- Is it a sound bank or the sample waveform?
jpb1977

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this was easy. I just registered and boom, answers to questions I have about my newly acquired NS5R!

I have a few more:

- any software for OS X?

- NOISE...grrrr... I bought a 05r/w on eBay which I promptly returned because something internally was causing noise (sounded like wireless mic interference, break-up of the signal and just general noise) and then decided to try my luck with the NS5R... unbelievably, this unit exhibits similar, ALBEIT wayyy quieter, and frankly, usable in terms of signal to noise ratio, but it is still so frustrating! What causes this? Can it be fixed? I will be doing a factory reset on the unit, but I'm guessing it won't help. To provide more clarity, some patches almost have a rhythmic pattern to the noise?

(What it might help is another strange phenomenon, patches that feedback uncontrollably the moment they are selected!?! What gives?
jpb1977

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE - ok, there is some omnipresent noise within the device, but I'm beginning to understand that it has always been there due to the design of the power supply within the unit...

HOWEVER, after doing a factory reset, effects related (rhythmic chattering, uncontrollable feedback) are now gone... but so are the individual patch effects settings. Everything single patch is back to the standard rev/cho setup, which of course sounds quite blah. Can someone help point me back in the right direction to restore the effects settings?

THANKS!

jpb
jpb1977

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STAND DOWN, easy fix... had to set FOLLOW FX to part 1, and everything is sounding right again....

However, now the added and much more noticeable noise is back... Sad It is obviously an issue with the effect processing, amplifying the noise caused internally by the power supply. I'll probably merely change the effects and get things under control....

You've really got to ask yourself how they even up end selling a device like this that has the problem inherently?!?!

jpb
Lith

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a korg 05/rw do the same thing after about a year and a half, after buying it new. It eventually degrades to where the audio is totally distorted and quiet. I think there was something not quite right with the manufacturing of these units and I would avoid them or check them carefully before purchase. Mine is sadly now an expensive paper weight that looks cool when it is turned on but nothing else.
I hope you manage to fix yours.
jhulk

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like a bad psu they use external wallwarts and if left on all the time even when the korg module is switched off you need to switch of at mains also they get hot and b ecause there is no load can over heat which makes the dc bad with ripple and why you get the sound degredation
tux2

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lith wrote:
I had a korg 05/rw do the same thing after about a year and a half, after buying it new. It eventually degrades to where the audio is totally distorted and quiet. I think there was something not quite right with the manufacturing of these units and I would avoid them or check them carefully before purchase. Mine is sadly now an expensive paper weight that looks cool when it is turned on but nothing else.
I hope you manage to fix yours.

Mine did the same a few years ago (I bought it from new in 1993). If you open it up you will likely find that the capacitors near the audio outputs have leaked and corroded the surrounding traces on the PCB. It's a very common issue with Korg synths from that era (late '80s to mid '90s).

However the NS5R shouldn't be affected by this as it's newer and I have never heard about capacitor leaks in the NS5R so far.

Even the X5DR seems much better than the 05R/W, I replaced my 05R/W with a second hand X5DR and that one is still going strong without any issues.
mache

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:39 pm    Post subject: NS5R: How to make Sound daughter board? Reply with quote

Hi,

I tried to plug in a Yamaha DB50XG, a Roland SCB-55 and a Genius Sound Maker WAVE doughter board into my Korg NS5R.

I can turn to the y01-ySFX banks with and without the DB cards.
I set for example the y01 bank, but I only hear the Korg's sounds.

What is the secret?
How can I lure the sounds of the DB50XG out of the daughter board inside tthe NS5R?

Thanks for answering
Fatar SL-990 Pro; Anteg EM-100; CT3990 8MB; YMF-719 &724; GUS ACE 1MB; GUS PnP 16.5MB; Roland SCB-55; Roland SCC-1; Yamaha DB50XG; Genius SoundMaker WAVE; Diamond Monster Sound MX300; Turtle Beach MAUI 8MB; MidiTech PianoBox II USB; KORG NS5R; MidiTech MidiStudio 2 Pro keyboard
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not clear exactly what the setup is, and how it is connected. Have you found a way of actually putting the various boards into the NS5R, or are they in some other sort of host e.g. a PC?

mache

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
It's not clear exactly what the setup is, and how it is connected. Have you found a way of actually putting the various boards into the NS5R, or are they in some other sort of host e.g. a PC?

Hello,

I tried at first Yamaha DB50XG and only in the NS5R.
No computer, only the Korg, some wavetables and a Fatar MIDI keyboard.
And as a heard in the first case, it wasn't XG, but I used my DB50XG at least 10 years ago.

Then I tried Roland SCB-55. It behaved the as same as the yamaha did.

Third try with the Genius daughter board: the same sounding.

At fourth, I made a placebo trying without any daughter boards: I've turned to the y01... soundbanks' again: See a mirracle, the sounds are the same again as in the 3 cases before.

Finally I compared the Korgs GM sample voices with the y bank voices, and was or was not surprising, but they sound identical. With or without any addon card.

So, I only want make sound my addon wavetable boards in my Korg NS5R.

Is it possible at all?
Has someone any experience and idea for it?

Is it a hidden DIP switch or a jumper on the mainboard to activate?

Theoretically there is a mixing feature to use both of them together.

But now only the NS5R sounds.

Thank you.
Fatar SL-990 Pro; Anteg EM-100; CT3990 8MB; YMF-719 &724; GUS ACE 1MB; GUS PnP 16.5MB; Roland SCB-55; Roland SCC-1; Yamaha DB50XG; Genius SoundMaker WAVE; Diamond Monster Sound MX300; Turtle Beach MAUI 8MB; MidiTech PianoBox II USB; KORG NS5R; MidiTech MidiStudio 2 Pro keyboard
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the NX5R Addendum to the manual for the NS5R, there is a section that goes something like this:

In order to use the daughter board, set the "MIDI Channel To Port" parameter to select output port "C" for each MIDI channel that you want to be played by the daughter board tone generator.

Maybe this is the magic sauce to make it work :-)

And make sure the Option Board Level control on the rear panel of the NS5R is set to give a reasonable sound level from the daughter board.

Link to the NX5R Addendum:

https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/product/1/166/

mache

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
From the NX5R Addendum to the manual for the NS5R, there is a section that goes something like this:

In order to use the daughter board, set the "MIDI Channel To Port" parameter to select output port "C" for each MIDI channel that you want to be played by the daughter board tone generator.

Maybe this is the magic sauce to make it work Smile

And make sure the Option Board Level control on the rear panel of the NS5R is set to give a reasonable sound level from the daughter board.

Thank you voip.

I've find it immediately in the menu, but not so quick in the bad quality JPEG-PDF manual.

After the 16 Channel "C" set:
Only the sound of the Grand piano is heard, even though I turn the instrument selector Knob, the label changes, the instument sound does not.

The relationship is a little bit caotic between the 2 manuals, mainly the languages change page by page.

I will try to peel the usable informations from the two descriptions.
If you have any other ideas, please let me know.

Thank you,
mache
d.j.tapeur

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mache wrote:
voip wrote:

Maybe this is the magic sauce to make it work Smile

Thank you voip.

I've find it immediately in the menu, but not so quick in the bad quality JPEG-PDF manual.

After the 16 Channel "C" set:
Only the sound of the Grand piano is heard, even though I turn the instrument selector Knob, the label changes, the instument sound does not.

The relationship is a little bit caotic between the 2 manuals, mainly the languages change page by page.

I will try to peel the usable informations from the two descriptions.
If you have any other ideas, please let me know.

Thank you,
mache

I have the exact same problem, did you manage to solve it? share your knowledge if possible. thanks in advance.
JayB

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you cannot edit anything on the Wavetable board directly from the unit itself, because unlike the NX5R it doesn't know what type of daughter board is installed. If you're not using the To Host interface (which allows you to control both internal and Wavetable board separately) you indeed have to set all channels to port C.

Sound sets (trance, dance, house, EDM) for Yamaha, Korg, Roland and Quasimidi available here
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: