Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Serious Question: Why does it take so long to load?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Nautilus / AT
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ast3rix

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:35 am    Post subject: Serious Question: Why does it take so long to load? Reply with quote

We live in modern times. CPU, Ram, Hard drives have increased in performance and proficiency for more than 20 years. Why does it take the Nautilus so long to load? I have standalone devices that use linux as their core that only take a few seconds to start. I am finding this to be very unpleasant and if I were to perform with this device I would be very uncomfortable about power loss. What is even more strange is that the removal of all the knobs and sliders with a focus on it being geared at performance but making the thing take a life time to start is highly weird. Why are there no updates to focus on fixing this problem?
apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start up is not that long just over 2 min. Push the button and by the time you get your pedal plugged in and positioned it's ready to go.

But it's loading data during that time frame. You can decrease it by changing your auto load file...(less data, less time) not by a ton though.

Also use one of those power supply units that won't let the keyboard immediately shut down if you lose power. If someone unplugs you keyboard, get a new keyboard tech...lol. That shouldn't EVER happen. ...

YouTube -
https://www.youtube.com/juliusdeberryjr

Facebook -
https://www.facebook.com/majesticstudiosllc

Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/majesticstudios_jld/
RavenRusher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a result of the incompetence of Korg's engineering department and the use of a 10-year-old processor. After opening up my Nautilus, I realized that it uses an off the shelf ASRock IMB-140D Plus motherboard, which uses an Intel Atom processor released in 2012. Even back then, the Atom processor has the reputation of being slow due to its architecture. I just don't understand why Korg insists using such an old platform. Besides the low spec'ed hardware, I made a disk image from the Nautilus SSD and did a quick analysis of its OS. Based on Marcan's posts about the Kronos' OS, it seems that the Nautilus' OS is very similar and likely using the same encryption mechanism. This means that a lot of time during the boot process could be spent decrypting the encrypted data in Nautilus.

I understand that this kind of architecture and setup could make sense 10 years ago, but the rise of the smart phone industry has greatly improve the state of embedded system in the past 10 years. By today's standard, even a $60 raspberry pi board can easily outperform the Nautilus hardware by a huge margin.
adamburgess

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always think that if the power goes off, a digital mixer/access points/PA driveracks/moving lights etc will take about the same time to start up. Probably longer, for a PA guy to run and physically mute the PA before it comes back on with a bang.

Any gig I do, the contract states that reliable and safe power is provided by the venue.
ast3rix

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apex wrote:
Start up is not that long just over 2 min. Push the button and by the time you get your pedal plugged in and positioned it's ready to go.

But it's loading data during that time frame. You can decrease it by changing your auto load file...(less data, less time) not by a ton though.

Also use one of those power supply units that won't let the keyboard immediately shut down if you lose power. If someone unplugs you keyboard, get a new keyboard tech...lol. That shouldn't EVER happen. ...

2mins is a lifetime performing on stage that is unacceptable. That is the length of a song... They have to realize this is a problem. Again I have lots of linux based gear that only take secs to start. It doesn't make sense for them to use a motherboard that's 10 years old and a processor that is close to EOL. I don't like these in between boards I should have waited until the next version or just got a Kronos. I was after the Kronos sounds which I love, but wow this startup timing is killing me.
apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ast3rix wrote:
apex wrote:

2mins is a lifetime performing on stage that is unacceptable. That is the length of a song... They have to realize this is a problem. Again I have lots of linux based gear that only take secs to start. It doesn't make sense for them to use a motherboard that's 10 years old and a processor that is close to EOL. I don't like these in between boards I should have waited until the next version or just got a Kronos. I was after the Kronos sounds which I love, but wow this startup timing is killing me.

But in a situation where you lose power.... Doesn't everyone lose power? Meaning .. the song would stop or not continue until everyone was ready again?

Like I was saying, if your keyboard is coming unplugged that's a completely separate problem.

Kronos startup time is the same. So getting a Kronos would not have solved anything. You can also change your preload, that will help some too. (Unload some heavier stuff that you aren't using as much)

Let me ask this, as far as it killing you, have you had it go out during a performance or does it just seem long when you actually start it up each day?

YouTube -

Facebook -

ast3rix

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apex wrote:
ast3rix wrote:
apex wrote:

But in a situation where you lose power.... Doesn't everyone lose power? Meaning .. the song would stop or not continue until everyone was ready again?

Like I was saying, if your keyboard is coming unplugged that's a completely separate problem.

Kronos startup time is the same. So getting a Kronos would not have solved anything. You can also change your preload, that will help some too. (Unload some heavier stuff that you aren't using as much)

Let me ask this, as far as it killing you, have you had it go out during a performance or does it just seem long when you actually start it up each day?

When I start it up everyday all my other gear is already to go, but I'm waiting for 2mins for this board to start so I will have a midi controller to run my other gear. So it is a big piece of my setup. I have had an instance in my home studio where I lost power and again all my other gear recovered quickly and I was waiting 2mins just to be able to work again. I can't imagine braving this in a live situation. Stuff happens that may only be your rig, people stepping on cables that lead to the main power for your rig. It happens. I would say the same for the Kronos... I just expect this type of keyboard to be more advanced than it is. I previously had a Triton Studio and it was not this slow at startup. It seems like things are running in reverse instead of moving forward as far as technology innovation. Streamlining things that would affect a performance makes sense. Especially with so many people using them in live situations. The focus of this board was just to address live performance, however some of the thought process in the design is flawed. The software improvements or changing the menus was great, but the hardware implementation was just not thought out well.
drama1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. The way around this is, in a live situation, only load the necessary samples you are going to use live. I only use the German Grand for piano, so I don't load all the other piano samples. Same goes for drums, horns, etc. Only load the samples you need when playing live. Basically load all programs and combo's you use and not load the KSC files, go into your live combi/programs and load the samples assigned to those. Save a separate file to your hard drive. Start-up time is cut in half. This is for live. studio, if you lose power and need to reboot, it's not as vital as a live situation. Hope this helps some with the starting time issues.
nitecrawler
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drama1 wrote:
Okay. The way around this is, in a live situation, only load the necessary samples you are going to use live. I only use the German Grand for piano, so I don't load all the other piano samples. Same goes for drums, horns, etc. Only load the samples you need when playing live. Basically load all programs and combo's you use and not load the KSC files, go into your live combi/programs and load the samples assigned to those. Save a separate file to your hard drive. Start-up time is cut in half. This is for live. studio, if you lose power and need to reboot, it's not as vital as a live situation. Hope this helps some with the starting time issues.

Reasonable and measured response. And it makes sense although I just always take a Trinity Plus when I play live just in case. I will have to develop a file for live playing to reduce load time. Personally, I like having the Nautilus when playing live, it is a great sounding board. Thanks! Cool

Montage M7, Pa5x76, Nautilus, PA3Xle, Oasys 76, Mini-Moog, EMU Audity 2000, Motion Sound KBR 3D amp, Presonus and Reaper DAW W/Tannoy Reveal 501A powered monitors
hans1966

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another solution is: arrive a little earlier than usual to your concerts, so that your keyboard is ready even before your bandmates arrive.

Cheers

I choose the Peace of God!
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ast3rix wrote:
apex wrote:

It's not so much that the hardware is underpowered - it's that the Kronos does a cryptographic verification of all the software and many parts of the operating system at boot. Loading sounds also adds a bit of time to the process.

If you are adventurous, there are ways to speed the process up by modifying the software...
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I say to people all the time...

If your keyboard is at risk of someone stepping on a cable and your rig is coming unplugged, you need to hire a keyboard tech. 😆😆😆

There are definitely ways to prevent those types of accidents from happening.

But for what it's worth, I do understand your concern for something happening in a live situation, but in a studio... 2 min...🤔

C'mon man.

I would take some of the advise from the other guys though and set up your preload where it doesn't require samples being loaded.... I think that would significantly decrease your load time.

YouTube -

Facebook -

sgpopserv

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:44 am    Post subject: The linux kernel takes a while to load. Reply with quote

For repairing I had to open my Nautilus. What I found inside was a mainboard with a VGA - Monitor output.
So I plugged a PC-Monitor in and saw the linux kernel takes a while to load.
This might give an idea about loading.

Happy new...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Nautilus / AT All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: