Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NO ec5 port a Solution

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keymn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:30 pm    Post subject: NO ec5 port a Solution Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/9ypZwD8HeFA
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: NO ec5 port a Solution Reply with quote

Keymn wrote:
https://youtu.be/9ypZwD8HeFA

Thank you for the information, although without usable content.

if an ec5 port is missing, the Airturn WidiJack is one of many commercially available controllers that all allow control messages and remote control commands published by korg.

Unfortunately, you can't control any functions like with the "Assignables", if control commands are unknown.

Such information would be valuable, although one can always debate why and for a particular controller one decides for one's needs.

it would be nice of Korg to provide remote commands for all functions that are possible with "Assignables".

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
Keymn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need for ec5 pedal…my performances have been going smooth over the last 12 gigs withe Airturn pedals and Widi Jack. The two pedals do all the functions
Intro 1,2,3 through the endings as programmed. It is time to reinvent ways to control with Bluetooth pedals…the last couple years BLUETOOTH le5 has been introduced which is more reliable communication then the Yamaha bt01 which is Bluetooth LE 4. The widimaster hardware and the bt500s has the Bluetooth le5…
I am happy with this outcome…presently, we have no choice after the Korg Pa4x models…do you know of any?
I like the fact the Airturn pedals pairs direct to my WidiJack. Those that need the midi ports, Widibud pro works well in the pa1000 usb front or back port…in earlier models like my PA3x, this port is not compatible…but works with pa1000 usb A…
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:18 pm    Post subject: NO ec5 port a Solution Reply with quote

Keymn wrote:
No need for ec5 pedal… ..with Airturn pedals and Widi Jack .. the two pedals do all the functions … we have no choice after the Korg Pa4x models…do you know of any? …

Search www with keywords "test midi foot controller" and you will find a huge amount of choice - also after the Korg Pa4x models. Therefore no need for any special preferred controller, because MIDI foot controllers allows universal usage with MIDI equipment.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
Keymn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: NO ec5 port a Solution Reply with quote

siebenhirter wrote:
Keymn wrote:
No need for ec5 pedal… ..with Airturn pedals and Widi Jack .. the two pedals do all the functions … we have no choice after the Korg Pa4x models…do you know of any? …

Search www with keywords "test midi foot controller" and you will find a huge amount of choice - also after the Korg Pa4x models. Therefore no need for any special preferred controller, because MIDI foot controllers allows universal usage with MIDI equipment.

Yes and some will connect to the usb port A on the pa1000/pa5x which will free up the midi ports. I prefer wireless Bluetooth…ble5 hardware…AirTurn and widi bud pro has been proven to pair…others might need testing for compatibility.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem is there is no MIDI information for many functions and so a MIDI pedal of any type will not resolve the problem.

One simple example:- Selecting VAR-up and VAR-down
There are many of these functions that can be assigned to switches/EC5 but not to a MIDI pedal because there is no supporting MIDI information from Korg.

Sadly, there IS need for an EC5

Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Keymn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
Problem is there is no MIDI information for many functions and so a MIDI pedal of any type will not resolve the problem.

There are many of these functions that can be assigned to switches/EC5 but not to a MIDI pedal because there is no supporting MIDI information from Korg.

Sadly, there IS need for an EC5

Very Happy

Since the pa1000 this was not available…noticed too the hardware changes in the later series with hdmi port after a certain serial number. I like my setup with the 2 AirTurn…use var1-4…is the usb front and back capable of receiving/transmit midi data in pa4x?
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:07 pm    Post subject: EC5 necessary for all NON-MIDI-functions Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
.. Problem is there is no MIDI information for many functions and so a MIDI pedal of any type will not resolve the problem.

There are many of these functions that can be assigned to switches/EC5, but not to a MIDI pedal, because there is no supporting MIDI information from Korg.

Sadly, there IS need for an EC5 ..

Thanks, your post finally describes the topic aptly.

An EC5 is required for all those functions that cannot be controlled via MIDI - no MIDI foot controller is suitable for this.

Therefore, there is no need to repeat the discussion of how good or bad different MIDI foot controllers would be for the Pa series, as long as most of the assignable functions can not be done with them.

Keymn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: EC5 necessary for all NON-MIDI-functions Reply with quote

siebenhirter wrote:
karmathanever wrote:
.. Problem is there is no MIDI information for many functions and so a MIDI pedal of any type will not resolve the problem.

There are many of these functions that can be assigned to switches/EC5, but not to a MIDI pedal, because there is no supporting MIDI information from Korg.

Sadly, there IS need for an EC5 ..

Thanks, your post finally describes the topic aptly.

An EC5 is required for all those functions that cannot be controlled via MIDI - no MIDI foot controller is suitable for this.

Therefore, there is no need to repeat the discussion of how good or bad different MIDI foot controllers would be for the Pa series, as long as most of the assignable functions can not be done with them.

I moved away from the ec5 even with the PA3x years ago…all good on my end. Do not think new Korg will change. I passed on the Pa4x as they should have included Bluetooth midi…think pa5x excluded it too. Maybe Time to eliminate the dated midi din ports too in future arrangers…watching to see what Genos 2 will do? Think Medeli has midi Bluetooth…works great on the Roland GoKeys which has the built in midi Bluetooth built in for years…no midi din ports…
Keymn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see more positive…I spend time making videos…not saying always correct but have some knowledge in making a smooth transition from the EC5. As far as variations up/down, if these switches do not send normal midi messages, very difficult.
As with widimaster products and Airturn, they have worked together to make the pair direct. I even had a Zoom meeting to help them connect better to the Korg. I am not sponsored by no company except for a couple pedals and some CME widi products received to test.. Just the satisfaction after many hours of testing towards result. As I was in a panic mode to replace the ec5 too since received pa1000. The Behringer or Roland fc300 was not an option…prefer wireless…set on floor and turn on power…this is not the end as many more products are being initiated in the field that will be far beyond our expertise…
Happy playing…😀
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: EC5 necessary for all NON-MIDI-functions Reply with quote

Keymn wrote:
.. Maybe Time to eliminate the dated midi din ports too in future arrangers……

The question of wireless or with the "legacy MIDI DIN connectors" does not arise in this matter, because that is not the problem. It doesn't matter whether Medeli has Midi-Bluetooth or whether it works excellently on the Roland GoKeys with Midi-Bluetooth that has been built in for years - Bluetooth is not a solution for this. It does not meet the criteria for querying the switching states of the keyboard and putting them in a state that corresponds to the stored parameters of the next or the previous switching (Up/Down Variation) state stored in the system.

Whether and what (Bluetooth, Midi-Over-USB, MIDI-DIN, LAN, WLAN ...) is used for the transmission is left to the user's preference. Eliminating MIDI DIN connectors - one of the most reliable methods of exchanging MIDI message transmission - would create problems rather than eliminate them.

If you think MIDI is antiquated just because Gigabit Wi-Fi offers 30,000 times higher data rates than 5-pin DIN cables, you should also consider that MIDI's very primitive simplicity is an advantage. And the messages are such simple that the recorded events can be easily edited note by note. MIDI is alive and well with DIN ports, and Gigabit Wi-Fi data rates don't change that.
Released in 1983, MIDI expanded the original specification several times without changing the transmission speed or the number of channels.

The core of the data format was therefore retained, because MIDI is one of the oldest, but also one of the most reliable standards in the IT world.
Native MIDI technology is still a reliable means of communication between instruments. MIDI 2.0 is the next specialized version of this technology and offers even more control over the sound using special information transfer, offers higher resolution with 16- and 32-bit -MIDI messages and provides bi-directional communication.
The latter means that software devices can both receive and output MIDI information

Since MIDI 2.0 was only officially validated by the Association of MIDI Manufacturers in January 2020, this technology is still in its infancy, so there is not yet a large range of MIDI 2.0 controllers on the market.
PS: A truly modern MIDI system should be able to specify sends and receives, allowing you to control a multitude of devices with a single controller, or change their receive on-the-fly via MIDI message. Depending on the arrangement position, it would be possible to play several different MIDI devices with a single keyboard controller.

Keymn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: EC5 necessary for all NON-MIDI-functions Reply with quote

siebenhirter wrote:
Keymn wrote:
.. Maybe Time to eliminate the dated midi din ports too in future arrangers……

The question of wireless or with the "legacy MIDI DIN connectors" does not arise in this matter, because that is not the problem. It doesn't matter whether Medeli has Midi-Bluetooth or whether it works excellently on the Roland GoKeys with Midi-Bluetooth that has been built in for years - Bluetooth is not a solution for this. It does not meet the criteria for querying the switching states of the keyboard and putting them in a state that corresponds to the stored parameters of the next or the previous switching (Up/Down Variation) state stored in the system.

Whether and what (Bluetooth, Midi-Over-USB, MIDI-DIN, LAN, WLAN ...) is used for the transmission is left to the user's preference. Eliminating MIDI DIN connectors - one of the most reliable methods of exchanging MIDI message transmission - would create problems rather than eliminate them.

If you think MIDI is antiquated just because Gigabit Wi-Fi offers 30,000 times higher data rates than 5-pin DIN cables, you should also consider that MIDI's very primitive simplicity is an advantage. And the messages are such simple that the recorded events can be easily edited note by note. MIDI is alive and well with DIN ports, and Gigabit Wi-Fi data rates don't change that.
Released in 1983, MIDI expanded the original specification several times without changing the transmission speed or the number of channels.

The core of the data format was therefore retained, because MIDI is one of the oldest, but also one of the most reliable standards in the IT world.
Native MIDI technology is still a reliable means of communication between instruments. MIDI 2.0 is the next specialized version of this technology and offers even more control over the sound using special information transfer, offers higher resolution with 16- and 32-bit -MIDI messages and provides bi-directional communication.
The latter means that software devices can both receive and output MIDI information

Since MIDI 2.0 was only officially validated by the Association of MIDI Manufacturers in January 2020, this technology is still in its infancy, so there is not yet a large range of MIDI 2.0 controllers on the market.
PS: A truly modern MIDI system should be able to specify sends and receives, allowing you to control a multitude of devices with a single controller, or change their receive on-the-fly via MIDI message. Depending on the arrangement position, it would be possible to play several different MIDI devices with a single keyboard controller.

You point is well spoken…
I like the widibud pro as it provides bidirectional control I need…I do not use my midi din ports anymore with my Korg pa1000. Will it work on the Pa4x?
Does not work on PA3x, but the 5x specs appear it will be workable…fyi I connect to Roland accordion FR4x. Need the widibud pro to provided bidirectional signal. As it has only 1 midi din, selectable in or out…
https://www.cme-pro.com/widi-bud-pro/
Keymn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am able to turn the harmony processor on/off with the Airturn pedal. I will soon be showing a video on this. The assignable is not available on the pa1000 for some reason. Almost anything can be done with midi control…and I still like the wireless pedal solution…let us not give up on this and point towards the positive side of getting this worked out…
The tough one is variation up/down with a midi control…the up and down is not the problem, but you need some feedback on what variation you are currently on…how does the songbook remember the variation? Need to put on thinking cap…😵‍💫…
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: