Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do I need to format or return to factory settings?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
drvenom

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:39 am    Post subject: Do I need to format or return to factory settings? Reply with quote

I purchased a Kronos X and the previous owner formatted (restored) the keyboard using the disks for the Kronos 2; that's what he said, but I'm not sure if he just installed the demo versions of sound pack 3.0. As you can imagine a lot of programs are in demo mode. Also, on bank IA the first program is Australian Dark Grand, instead of Berlin Grand SW2UC.

Anyway, I purchased the Korg Sound Pack 3.0 that basically turns the Kronos x into a Kronos 2. My question is, do I have to get the Kronos X utility disks and format the Kronos X to factory settings to install the Sound Pack 3.0? Or do I just install the Sound Pack 3.0 and install items to the default locations and everything will be ok?

I hope I can just install the sound pack 3.0 to the default locations and everything will show up as it would on a Kronos 2.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you experience repetitive crashes and such which can be caused by data corruption, there is no need to format the SSD. At the very end of the Kronos Parameter Guide is a procedure to restore your unit to the default state.
drvenom

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
Unless you experience repetitive crashes and such which can be caused by data corruption, there is no need to format the SSD. At the very end of the Kronos Parameter Guide is a procedure to restore your unit to the default state.

Do you think I have to restore the unit to default state or do you think I can just install the expansions as the keyboard is right now? I'm trying to avoid buying an external dvd drive, unless there is a way to return the kronos to default settings with a usb drive. Will installing the SoundPack 3.0 set everything to a default state of the Kronos 2?
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend simply :

1) Do a Save All of what the Kronos has in case you want to restore certain programs you like right now,

2) Load the Kronos X PRELOAD PCG (usually in the FACTORY directory on the Kronos SSD) to restore all progs and combis to default state.

3) Then you can proceed with your update to Kronos 2. Only if something goes wrong or if you often experience crashes, I would do the more drastic restore procedure.

Let us know how it goes.
drvenom

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
I would recommend simply :

1) Do a Save All of what the Kronos has in case you want to restore certain programs you like right now,

2) Load the Kronos X PRELOAD PCG (usually in the FACTORY directory on the Kronos SSD) to restore all progs and combis to default state.

3) Then you can proceed with your update to Kronos 2. Only if something goes wrong or if you often experience crashes, I would do the more drastic restore procedure.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks a lot man, that worked like a charm. Unfortunately, I think I maxed out the ram on the Kronos. I installed

Korg Sound Pack 3
Exs17.ksc
Exs18.ksc

Preload.ksc

Expansion Packs I have:
EXs11.ksc Legendary Strings
Exs12.ksc Austrian Piano

I have 37MB free of the 2GB available. I guess the 3rd GB is for the system. It's a shame, I wanted to at the very least have Legendary Strings, Austrian Piano, and Italian Piano.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drvenom wrote:
Thanks a lot man, that worked like a charm.

You are welcome. Wink

drvenom wrote:
Unfortunately, I think I maxed out the ram on the Kronos. I installed

Korg Sound Pack 3
Exs17.ksc
Exs18.ksc

Preload.ksc

Expansion Packs I have:
EXs11.ksc Legendary Strings
Exs12.ksc Austrian Piano

I have 37MB free of the 2GB available. I guess the 3rd GB is for the system. It's a shame, I wanted to at the very least have Legendary Strings, Austrian Piano, and Italian Piano.

Don't worry, we all have this problem. Out of the theoretical 4 GB or 4000 MB, the K2 has roughly 1960 MB left for RAM. To optimize usage, make sure all KSCs you want available at startup are set to Virtual Memory in the Auto-Load tab in Global mode.

If it is not enough, then one trick is to trim down the larger KSCs such as the PRELOAD. You probably don't need everything that this KSC file loads every single time you start your Kronos, so you can save a new one with a different name which doesn't load as much as the factory one. It takes time but it is worth the work to save some more RAM for other sounds. And in the case this is still not enough, you will have to create different KSC setups to load for different sessions, for example you could by default load all your very favorites, and also have other setups for "all pianos and orchestral", "rock band sounds" if you do such gigs, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: