Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Kronos Editor and macOS Big Sur, Monterey and Later

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:53 am    Post subject: Korg Kronos Editor and macOS Big Sur, Monterey and Later Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

I was looking to do some bank management and shuffle some things around in my Kronos and was hoping to use the trusty Korg Kronos Editor to do so. However, I am trying to do so on a M1 Mac running Monterey and whilst the editor kind of works, performance is … not good.

The Korg compatibility chart shows that support on Big Sur onwards is under investigation for both Intel and Apple Silicon (ARM), but it obviously hasn’t been updated in some time. The Nautilus editor shows that it is supported on those platforms, but for Intel only.

Has anyone had any success getting the editor to run on an Apple Silicon Mac, or an Intel Mac running Big Sur onwards?

I’m half tempted to buy a cheap PC just for Karma and the Korg Editor ….

Sigh, if only bank management on-device was a little more advanced!

Thanks in advance!
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
BlackForest

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi SeedyLee, please note that the Editor didn't see an update for Windows like it got for Mac.
If you want to shuffle banks around and not do any editing of the programs check the forum for free software called PCGTools and TidyKronos. They do exactly that. But they are only on Windows afaik.

Korg DS-8, Roland D-10, M1Rex, Wavestation, Korg SP-280, JV2080, Wavestate, Kronos LS - all RIP
CliveJ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Korg Kronos Editor and macOS Big Sur, Monterey and Later Reply with quote

SeedyLee wrote:
I’m half tempted to buy a cheap PC just for Karma and the Korg Editor

Why not virtualise Windows on the Mac?

https://www.parallels.com/uk/products/desktop/

Free trial available so you’ve got nothing to lose.
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Clive, that's a great suggestion and actually exactly what I was in the process of doing when I saw your post!

As I have an M1 Mac it means I need to run the Arm version of Windows 11, which isn't compatible with the Korg USB MIDI Driver. Whilst the Kronos Editor does appear to run, whether it is more performant than running the Intel macOS Editor on the same M1 machine remains to be seen.

Will report back!

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
CliveJ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeedyLee wrote:
As I have an M1 Mac it means I need to run the Arm version

I’m still on an Intel Mac Air so, in theory, it’s a lot easier but I must admit I haven’t tried it yet - my studio is Windows based.

I see that Korg recommend using the built in Mac driver rather than their own and wonder if that made it to Silicon. Given that Parallels share ports with VM’s you may see the MiDI ports without needing another driver.

I presume you can download a demo version of windows ARM just as you can for Intel so still worth a shot.

Another suggestion: I recently bought an M6 mini PC off Amazon for less than £200, complete with Windows 11, which I’m looking at using live. It’s surprisingly quick for the money. I’m going to VNC into it from an iPad.

Of course you can also get a cheap laptop at around the same price. but beware anything with an SSD lower than 64GB - windows update doesn’t like anything smaller.
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I tried the x64 Windows editor running on ARM Windows 11 within Parallels on the M1 Mac (what a world we live in!) and whilst it worked, it was slower and no more reliable than the x64 Mac editor running on MacOS.

The main issues I have with the Mac editor is that, for some reason, it often doesn't show as [Synchronised], even immediately after performing a sync. The second issue I have is that, after performing a sync and trying to change Program banks, the Kronos often throws up an error that the bank types aren't matched... I wouldn't have thought this would be possible after everything is synced?

The actual sync process seems to work though and is reasonably fast, though not as fast as I remember the original sync being on Intel Mac hardware.

Also, does anyone know how to get the Editor to send a program change message to the Kronos rather than sending a program into the edit buffer on the Kronos? When I click to go to a new bank and program, it sends the program sysex rather than a simple program change message...

Any solutions to the above would be appreciated.

Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

For bank management only (not editing, which I do on the Kronos) why not check out my kronos.factory librarian.

It's an offline tool, like PCG TOOLs, no direct Kronos integration.

I develop on OSX and target OSX (app is running on Ventura 13), PC and Linux.

Apologies if it comes across a bit spammy, but it may save you needing to approach your bank manager....

See signature link for details if you are interested.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Derek! I had a chance to try out your librarian and it looks pretty good!

I did have a few thoughts I wanted to share though:

- Is there a way to "drill down" in the table view without going through the right-click context menu? For example, looking at the list of program banks, clicking the bank doesn't do anything - you need to open the context menu, which isn't terribly intuitive.

- Is there a way to view all objects of a certain type without going by bank?

- Can you sort or filter object types without re-arranging their order? For my purposes, I'd like to be able to sort by category (leaving their location in the PCG unchanged) so I can delete all programs/combis of a certain category.

Thanks for putting this together! Will explore some more and decide if I want to buy a license Smile

SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, the editor seems to be working reasonably well under MacOS Monterey on an M1 Mac. There were two things I needed to do:

1) Make sure that "Receive Program Change" is enabled in the MIDI Settings tab on the Kronos - for some reason, the editor turns it off, which breaks the editor

2) The second was to set the Kronos editor to always use the light theme, which can be done with the Mac's native "defaults write" command. Google has the answers.

Now, I'm still not sure how to actually use many functions of the editor, in particular, how to make it correctly sync changes when working in offline/unsynchronised mode, but I'm sure that will come Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: