Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KORG Collection -- Triton
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PJammer3

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 1:35 am    Post subject: Korg Collection - Triton Reply with quote

The fact that the Korg Collection Triton does not allow import / export of .pcg files and patches should concern new users for the following reason:

Korg Collection Triton allows the modification of existing patches, as well as creating new patches and saving to the User banks. Creating new patches is more that a scratch pad effort and can involve hours of work becoming critical to a song or project. How then can we insure that this data is backed up and will not be lost?

I am a long time owner/user of a Triton Extreme, and I have recently upgraded to Legacy Collection V2. I am also a Software Engineer so because of this discussion above I became interested in how I would backup any new patches and User banks I create.

So using my new KC Triton on my Windows 10 laptop I create three new patches saving each one to User Bank A. I close the app and reopen, and sure enough the changes I make are still there. I start looking around my hard drive to find out where it is saving these and sure enough I find 3 files in this folder:
This PC/Documents/KORG/TRITON/Presets/Combi/USER-A
000.patch
001.patch
002.patch

I move the file 002.patch to another folder, exit Triton, repoen Triton and sure enough only the first two patches I saved are there, the third is missing. When I copy the file back and reload Triton, all three are there.

So now I know where how to back up user banks. This is essential to know if your music depends on creating new patches using KC Triton.

Now if I open one of the above files in a text editor I notice that it is not binary code, nor encrypted. The patch settings look to be in a human readable text format probably YAML or JSON format. So my guess is that if Korg does not give us a way to import/export .pcg files, someone will write a utility to convert .pcg file format to JSON or YAML that can write to these User bank files.

Ideally Korg should give us this in a future release as it will be required by serious musicians.
djfilippo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg Collection - Triton Reply with quote

PJammer3 wrote:
The fact that the Korg Collection Triton does not allow import / export of .pcg files and patches should concern new users for the following reason:

Korg Collection Triton allows the modification of existing patches, as well as creating new patches and saving to the User banks. Creating new patches is more that a scratch pad effort and can involve hours of work becoming critical to a song or project. How then can we insure that this data is backed up and will not be lost?

I am a long time owner/user of a Triton Extreme, and I have recently upgraded to Legacy Collection V2. I am also a Software Engineer so because of this discussion above I became interested in how I would backup any new patches and User banks I create.

So using my new KC Triton on my Windows 10 laptop I create three new patches saving each one to User Bank A. I close the app and reopen, and sure enough the changes I make are still there. I start looking around my hard drive to find out where it is saving these and sure enough I find 3 files in this folder:
This PC/Documents/KORG/TRITON/Presets/Combi/USER-A
000.patch
001.patch
002.patch

I move the file 002.patch to another folder, exit Triton, repoen Triton and sure enough only the first two patches I saved are there, the third is missing. When I copy the file back and reload Triton, all three are there.

So now I know where how to back up user banks. This is essential to know if your music depends on creating new patches using KC Triton.

Now if I open one of the above files in a text editor I notice that it is not binary code, nor encrypted. The patch settings look to be in a human readable text format probably YAML or JSON format. So my guess is that if Korg does not give us a way to import/export .pcg files, someone will write a utility to convert .pcg file format to JSON or YAML that can write to these User bank files.

Ideally Korg should give us this in a future release as it will be required by serious musicians.

Yes. Software emulate Hardware al 100%.....
LektroiD

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would be an amazing purchase if it had the ability to load and save to and from my hardware Triton. If only it had the ability to load and save PCG files. Korg missed a trick there, what a shame.
olumakinde

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:32 pm    Post subject: KORG Collection -- Triton Reply with quote

I STILL have my Triton 88 extreme and just bought the VST (missed the half price offer Sad Sad ). Shocked to find that the combis I am used to in A are not there - "The Piano", etc. Which of the Tritons was the VST based on??
And since we do not yet have the ability to import PCG files into the VST, what happens?
I normally arrange worship tracks on the Triton at home for use in the church - and have been looking forward to being able to simply take a MIDI file of the T88 arrangement and playing it back using the same sounds via my DAW.
Hopefully Korg is reading this and has something good in the works...
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: KORG Collection -- Triton Reply with quote

olumakinde wrote:
I STILL have my Triton 88 extreme and just bought the VST (missed the half price offer Sad Sad ). Shocked to find that the combis I am used to in A are not there - "The Piano", etc. Which of the Tritons was the VST based on??

From what I recall, all my old Triton patches are there, so I presme it's the original Triton "Classic".
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Factory Banks are from the Classic,Its just the first basic Triton PCG file,I'm holding off to purchase the Full Software(currently still using it in demo mode) until they have expanded it to allow loading of users PCG data And also all the Factory Banks from the Other Models so it has all the legacy Triton patches like the M1 VST has.

It also has the EXB program/Combis factory sounds but still missing a load of other sounds From the Triton Extreme that were exclusive to that Model,even though it had most of the EXB data the Extreme Model had specific Combis/Prorgrams only in that model and the LE models had their own exclusive sounds as well,they can be loaded into any Triton model but Korg need to implement it on the VST that would be Great.

they need to allow it to load Triton Sng Data as well so you can load in Song sequences made on the Triton sequencer,I have a tonne of Old Floppies of songs I made on the Triton but no longer have a Triton so can't convert them to SMF.
archil

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaay, now finally i can sample without quality loss missing rom multisamples from the newer models and re-create my favorite sounds.

It's a shame korg doesn't include all multisamples from previous models, don't understand why especially now days where GB of rom are available.
Crystalmsc

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's amazing that after all these years, nothing can replace the Karma with MOSS board! Both in hardware and software.

Physical modelling is on demand again, hopefully they will release the Z1. Would be cool if they offer the MOSS board version for the Z1 plugin user. The ablity to create combis in the Triton with such engine is awesome. Not to mention if they include Karma. NO such synthesis environment until now, especially as a plugin. Kronos is awesome, but not a Z1 replacement. The Oasys PCI is closer but not the same, would be cool to have that as a modern modular plugin, could easily becoming the Tassman replacement.

I'm even in the mood for a Korg Prophecy and the Solo board if they ever release the Trinity plugin. Always love a synthetic solo with an acoustic touch. There's something raw and musical about the Z1 and Prophecy that I can't find elsewhere. I own the Trinity Pro and Karma with MOSS, but would love to have the plugin version. Those are still hot stuffs, even until now.
Korg: Wavedrum/Mini/Global, MS-20m, Volca Beats/Bass/Key, Trinity Pro, Karma + Moss Board, 01R/W, Wavestation/SR/EX, microKORG XL, Kaossilator Pro, iKaossilator, Kaoss Pad Quad, Monotribe, Monotron/duo/delay, DS-10, Korg Collection V2, Korg Gadget, microKEY25
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Physical modelling is on demand again

I find PCM based synthesis engines such as HD-1, or even an old school AKAI S6000 more interesting as you have far more scope for creativity as your base waveforms are only limited by your imaginations.

For example, the KORG wavestate is just crazy flexible in what it can do. If KORG ever give it the ability to load end user samples, that would be totally out of this world. A nice tribute to the “AD” wavestation too.

I would be especially interested to see what the wavestate and end user samples could do with Vocals and hooks.

Regards
Sharp.
draobyek

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am extremely disappointed with Triton VST software!
The no .pcg import/export functionality alone is a complete deal breaker for me. This should have been a "must" for this software. And I understand this software was not meant to be used as an editor for Triton keyboards. But, Triton keyboards are still a very useful tools for studio and stage, not because they had great factory sounds (yes, they did, but that is not the point), but because for 22 years now users have been creating, and are still creating, most amazing programs and combies for these machines, and it is a shame we can not get those sound into this software.
The mouse dragging envelope curve deal is very disappointing. It takes too much time to get the points at the exact values. What do I mean by "too much time" - well every second beyond "click-and-done" is too long! Or maybe I just need a better mouse, or a new computer... Was it such a big job to allow the user to enter numeric level and time values for pitch, filter and amp envelope points? The same goes for some of the rotary potentiometer functions.
The lack of sampler function I can do without, there are a lot of software that can do this job. But, all of the Triton keyboards have a sampler function, why is the software that emulates these keyboards lacking functionality?
This is only my opinion - I have tried the software - I do not like it - I do not like it at all - and I do not think it is worth the money! For the price of the software I can buy used Triton Classic or Studio, and keep it connected in the studio, filled up with my favorite sounds, with editing capabilities under my fingertips, and with all of the functionality the software is lacking.
Trader One

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:

The Triton series was a funny one. On either side of it you have a Trinity and a OASYS. Both super warm synths, yet the Triton was always the opposite..

KRONOS is cold or warm?
nightmarehalo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to say thanks for this thread. I was looking for how to backup my custom patches and this thread solved it. Thanks, PJammer3!
Vesa
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone send me .patch files from the VST, one for Extreme and one for Classic Triton. I have the demo version of both and can't save user banks and paying $249 is too hefty for testing only.

I'm positive a convertion is possible, .patch <-> .PCG

Regards, Vesa
Roland JV-1010 / Triton-Rack 96MB / Trinity Plus PBS-TRI / Yamaha MOTIF6 64MB / Roland Fantom-XR 512MB / Yamaha MOXF6 1GB / Roland XV-3080 / Roland FANTOM-06 / Yamaha MODX6+ / E-mu Proteus 2000 / Roland XV-5080 128MB / Kross 1 / Kross 2
sj1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New KC4 owner (previously KLC owner) here.

First, I wonder if we perhaps should have a new area under Korg Music Software and Consoles for 'Korg Collection 4'. Seems logical to me ...

Anyway, while we are here -

The biggest of the draw to KC4 for me was the inclusion of Triton and Triton Extreme as plugins.

They sound great!

I must say though that it never occurred to me in my most feverish bad dreams that it wouldn't be possible to save/load PCG files! This is a major lack, and I very much hope we will see this ability added in the future.

Two questions:

1. How do you save your favorites? IOW, how do you ensure that once you have clicked on a number of stars to designate favs that you will see them the next time you open the plugin? Unf. my experience here is that they just disappear (that was 90 minutes lost so far!)

2. Is there a way to have an incoming MIDI CC # switch the arp on/off? If so, I have not been able to find it. If indeed not currently possible, this seems like a pretty important omission, one I hope is remedied in an update.

Cheers!
djfilippo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sj1 wrote:
New KC4 owner (previously KLC owner) here.

First, I wonder if we perhaps should have a new area under Korg Music Software and Consoles for 'Korg Collection 4'. Seems logical to me ...

Anyway, while we are here -

The biggest of the draw to KC4 for me was the inclusion of Triton and Triton Extreme as plugins.

They sound great!

I must say though that it never occurred to me in my most feverish bad dreams that it wouldn't be possible to save/load PCG files! This is a major lack, and I very much hope we will see this ability added in the future.

Two questions:

1. How do you save your favorites? IOW, how do you ensure that once you have clicked on a number of stars to designate favs that you will see them the next time you open the plugin? Unf. my experience here is that they just disappear (that was 90 minutes lost so far!)

2. Is there a way to have an incoming MIDI CC # switch the arp on/off? If so, I have not been able to find it. If indeed not currently possible, this seems like a pretty important omission, one I hope is remedied in an update.

Cheers!

It was made with Wavestate (The Best Korg VST), 100% hardware compatible! Surely even with Triton, they should do the same thing!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: