Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dead Midi Track on Sequencer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blazerunner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:04 pm    Post subject: Dead Midi Track on Sequencer Reply with quote

Hello,

Strange issue I've ran into here maybe someone can shine some light on what the cause and fix might be. I have made a song on my sequencer and on this song there is a midi track that is completely dead. No sound comes from it. You can change out the Exi sounds and nothing comes through. You can see the green volume bar go up on the Midi track screen so it's receiving sound but there is no output of sound from the channel. There are no midi events or anything of that nature. If I initialize the song or load a different sequence the midi track is functional again.

Never ran into this problem before and don't know what could cause it. It's like the sound is being output somewhere else for just that single track. Don't know if I hit some random button the screen by accident or what but I'm stumped on this one.

Any ideas on this?

On a side note I also recorded a base in midi and it used to play just fine and now it seems to drop out and have weird fluctuations when it plays. Don't know what's going on. The song was A OK before.
CliveJ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you accidentally set the track to EXT/EX2 rather than INT/BTH?
blazerunner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello CliveJ Smile

I'm not sure where to look to find those settings you mention but on the "Track Parameter > Midi Page" it's set to BTH. I don't know where I would find a setting showing as "INT/BTH". I'd be glad to check though. Thanks!
CliveJ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s the one - I meant INT or BTH. The other two settings play an external instrument.
Volume set to zero or muted or possibly you sent it to an IFX that has its output destination or volume set incorrectly?
blazerunner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, d'oh! yeah sadly that's set properly. I don't know where to start looking next. Something in this particular saved sequence setting has rerouted or muted the audio for this track. That's how it's behaving. I don't know if there's an individual outputs setting for midi audio or where to even look if there is one.
CliveJ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it work if you play on the midi track from the keyboard?
Did you adjust the volume while recording? There may be a MIDI event you didn’t want. Just to confuse the issue the midi event may be in a different track (reported elsewhere in this forum).
blazerunner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I did my triple check for those annoyances.

This is the type of problem I like because the issue and fix were simple. Just a reminder of how sensitive the Kronos is and how hitting the slightest thing can put you in a head scratching bind.

After some trouble shooting I went back to my older sequence where the track worked and tried to recreate the problem there. Went over the stuff I was doing and found out that I was in IFX on the 2nd page (I think the assignment page) and on track 11 it was set to L/R. I played with setting it to other routings and successfully recreated the problem by having a functioning channel with no audio output.

After confirming that I went back to the newer sequence of the song and sure enough I had it set to "3" instead of L/R. I didn't notice because some of the IFX's are set to different places but the "3" assignment wasn't part of my chain original. I set it to L/R and I had the midi channel back. Very Happy

A silly mistake but when you're so deep into a sequence you really need to keep track of this stuff. The more technical you get the easier it is to do something in error and upset everything. I'm glad I save and backup frequently I would have still been scratching my head if I hadn't.

Sometimes when I get an idea I get too eager to lay it down and hit the wrong buttons and end up messing up something...egh maybe I shouldn't spend so many hours on the Kronos and take more breaks but I sure enjoy making music on it.

I thank you for all the help. I hope my little absent minded incident might help someone else down the line. Cool
CliveJ

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronos is so flexible it’s easy to get lost. Glad one of my suggestions worked and that you finally found the issue.
fomalhaut

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazerunner wrote:

I thank you for all the help. I hope my little absent minded incident might help someone else down the line. Cool

Well you were not absent minded at all when you decided to keep backup versions of the sequence so you could do some differential diagnosis, well played!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: