Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you record your Kronos in your setup?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blazerunner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:55 pm    Post subject: How do you record your Kronos in your setup? Reply with quote

For people that aren't using the sequencer how do you record your Kronos in your setup?

I'm curious to know what kind of recording setups you guys are using to record the sounds from your Kronos into your musical work.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite often use the Kronos' "not mentioned in the manuals" direct recording method, as it's really straightforward. A couple of things need to be set up first but, once done, recording is as easy as pie. See second post in this thread, on how to use the Kronos' undocumented recording feature:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=126205

For more complex setups, involving other synths, in addition to the Kronos, an external recorder is employed, post mixer. Something like the Tascam DP-008, or Audacity on a PC.
KorganizR

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question. Smile

I'm using a simple setup, which works good for my needs.
I use Reaper as DAW on Windows PC.
Kronos is connected via USB.
I only use MIDI, no audio.
I do not use the "Kronos editor/plugin" in Reaper.
I simply record MIDI using the standard Kronos USB driver.

I usually only record instrumental tracks.
I usually only record the Kronos, no other equipment.
Kronos is set to SEQ mode, but I don't record using the SEQ.
I use the SEQ as a kind of combi, in which I prepare all sounds and FX.
And I use the SEQ Audio tab to create the final WAV file (more on this later below).

Important to note is that MIDI status of all tracks is set to BTH (both).
This allows for both playback from Kronos (for MIDI recording of the current track in Reaper), and playback from Reaper (to simultaneously play the MIDI of the other tracks on Kronos).

When I start with a new track, on the Kronos to use "Copy from Program" to get the program with all its FX.
I usually tend to optimize/combine FX usage across programs so I don't run out of IFX slots later on.
After "Copy from Program", I have to reset MIDI status back to BTH (both), because the Kronos resets it to INT (internal).

I select the current track on the Kronos, so I can add new MIDI data while Reaper records it, and plays back the other MIDI tracks.
In Reaper I use the Piano roll for editing/correction/automation of the MIDI information that was recorded.
I also do the arrangement (copy/paste of MIDI clips etc.) in Reaper.

Reaper is used only to store the MIDI information and for playback to the Kronos, it is not used for the final audio recording.
Final audio recording I do on the Kronos, simply on the Audio tab of the SEQ.
I first test the loudest parts and adjust the level to make sure there's no clipping.
Then I let Reaper play back the recorded MIDI on the Kronos, and let the Kronos record itself, creating a WAV file.

Obviously, to save the whole project, I need to save both the Kronos SEQ data into a SNG file, and the Reaper project file on the PC.
AND, of course, I need to save the PCG file of the Kronos, but for me, this is the same PCG all the time (independent of the songs).
This PCG sometimes gets updated in increments as new sounds are added to it.
I store the SNG and PCG files together with the Reaper project file and resulting WAV file on the PC and backup media, so I have everything together.

I know, this is quite a list of things, but I grew accustomed to the workflow, and it works for me.
I consider this to be a simple setup, since it only concerns MIDI data from the Kronos only.
And I record everything in one go. I do not record separate tracks to individual WAV files.
Mixing is purely based on MIDI, and part of the Reaper project.

Sometimes I also record my trusty Korg M1 as well, together with my Kronos.
I have an M-Audio 2x2 MIDI interface which I use to communicate between PC and M1.
The MIDI from the M1 is recorded in Reaper exactly the same way as the MIDI from the Kronos.
So the Reaper project file contains both the Kronos and the M1 MIDI tracks.
The audio from the M1 is going to the Audio input of the Kronos, using a jack-to-jack cable.
This way, when I set Reaper to playback, I can record the audio of both the Kronos and the M1 in one go on the Kronos and create a WAV file from it.

Like I said, I find this to be a good question and I'm interested to learn how other forum members create their recordings outside the Kronos SEQ.
Obviously, other requirements (e g. vocal/guitar recording alongside Kronos sound source) will lead to different setups.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For quick ideas on the spot : REC + Enter on the Kronos.

For elaborated stuff : Cubase or Waveform Pro, using USB transfers (no audio outs) to preserve optimal sound quality.

And "going in the opposite direction", I often create custom sampled sound libraries for the Kronos using a bunch of tools such as Wavelab, etc.
samriccijr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI All! Here's my workflow. My goal is to :

Capture a song structure that I can communicate to bandmates
Create uncomplicated backing tracks that I can gig with
Develop song ideas into a finished song

The fastest method is to play and record Karma scenes directly to a USB stick, then import the audio files into Logic or Ableton Live on the Mac.

I also track my Kronos through the analog inputs of a Focusrite 18i20 which also serves as my mixer.

I use Quicktime if I need to quickly capture an idea. Quicktime captures all incoming audio to m4a. I can save it to the cloud and listen to it in my car.

I made Combis with my most common sounds. Piano Brass Layer, DX Pad, Organs, Piano Split Bells, octave brass, etc. A typical Combi Includes

Piano, DX, Pad, Brass, Bass Octave,
Bass with Karma, Drum with Karma, Synth Arp effect

When recording my live band, I record the Kronos as 1 mono track, then I overdub as stereo audio. I find it more efficient to record parallel audio rather than editing MiDI data.

When I compose on my own, I tweak the Karma Drum tracks, then I record the hi-hat and percussion parts as 4 or 8 bar audio loops. Sometimes I use the Karma kick and snare, but I usually create my own kick and snare patterns in Logic. I then overdub the piano, bass, pads, bells and synth parts and create a song.

My Karma Scenes (and my Ableton loops) are organized as stems with

(1) hihat-percussion, (2) kick snare hat, (3) kick snare hat percussion
Simple bass loop, simple synth pattern.

The songs are arranged for ease of triggering so I can trigger the next scene and focus on playing:

Intro, Verse, Pre-Chorus, Chorus, Break, Bridge, Out Solos, End.

If I keep thins simple, I will use the built in Karma Scenes.
If I want fancier drum loops, cymbals, etc. I will use Live.

I also sampled my goto synths and folded them into a Soundfont that I can load into my iPhone....that's for another posting, heehee!

This works for me and sounds great!

Hope this helps!
Sam in NJ USA
fomalhaut

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For multitracks, I bounce everything to a stereo WAV.

For individual tracks, it's around my DAW of choice, Logic. The easiest path using USB audio output from the Kronos, no Plug-in Editor, using "External Instrument" tracks.

I have been recently recording individual tracks through SPDIF into a UA Apollo and I've heard no difference from USB, as it obviously should be. I should try to make the Kronos output through some channel strip with UA effects, but honestly the Kronos sounds are good enough as they sound, they are basically mix-ready to my ears.
blazerunner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some amazing responses so far. It's pretty amazing how everyone has their special recipe for recording the Kronos depending on what they're using it for. Cool
KingKronos

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, these all are great responses.
I like the variety of ways used to record.

It would be interesting to hear the audio as well.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingKronos wrote:

Below, a couple of excerpts done using the Kronos Enter + Record shortcut to quickly record two basic tracks (drums + bass) done on the keys, then the Kronos playing them back with the rest performed live on top. It's a bit clumsy since all done quickly, but you get the idea how simple you can record with just the Kronos.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=S5xF3yl5V3o&t=332
KorganizR

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingKronos wrote:

I rarely make make my YouTube videos public,
but here's a link to one of my songs, 100% Kronos sounds.
I used the recording technique I mentioned earlier in this thread.

https://youtu.be/GChZf5ZGSr8
KingKronos

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
KingKronos wrote:

Below, a couple of excerpts done using the Kronos Enter + Record shortcut to quickly record two basic tracks (drums + bass) done on the keys, then the Kronos playing them back with the rest performed live on top. It's a bit clumsy since all done quickly, but you get the idea how simple you can record with just the Kronos.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=S5xF3yl5V3o&t=332

Nice, which ELP song is that?
I've been meaning to learn an ELP song that's not too hard.
I suppose I should at least know the Lucky Man solo.

For quick audio demos, like for new patches, I use Sampling Rec.

But for sketch multi-tracking, I should try the REC + Enter method.
It's so immediate, and right there anyway.
So many musical ideas never captured, but for a couple button presses...
KingKronos

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KorganizR wrote:
KingKronos wrote:

I rarely make make my YouTube videos public,
but here's a link to one of my songs, 100% Kronos sounds.
I used the recording technique I mentioned earlier in this thread.

https://youtu.be/GChZf5ZGSr8

I enjoyed listening to Gentle Times.
You're double talented, with music and drawing.
It must be very gratifying to have finished pieces to enjoy.

Have you heard of SWAM modeling instruments?
Their solo instruments are fairly realistic, if limited.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingKronos wrote:
Nice, which ELP song is that?

Hi there, first excerpt is Hoedown but as played on their 3-LPs live album and second excerpt is from Karn Evil 9.

Speaking of Kronos shortcuts, I really like also and often use the Quick Layer and Quick Split features. Too bad the Smooth Sound Transitions doesn't work in those features.
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello to all here,

Concerning my way to use the Kronos :

When a song or instrumental music is designed completely into my head, then I record all the tracks in the Kronos sequencer. Then I transfer each midi track, one by one, of this sequence into an audio format, to my DAW (Sequoia).
Because I consider this sequence created in my Kronos as definitive, so I see absolutely no point in transferring the tracks in a MIDI format to my DAW
Then I add the voice tracks. And then I also add some VST instruments.
The great interest of a DAW lies in the incredible capabilities offered by its so many automation processes of any typefor each of the audio events of each track. And of course also the incredible capabilities also offered by VST effects.
Enough said ! Very Happy

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
Bitflipper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Kronos has been the centerpiece of both my studio and live rig for about 7 years. Most of my composing is done on it. But I have never recorded audio from it, only MIDI (via 5-pin DIN). When it comes to recording, it's just a glorified MIDI controller.

It's not that the sounds aren't good enough. They absolutely are. It's just that my extensive collection of software synths and sample libraries are such an endless playground of possibilities. If I want to create a custom patch, it's way easier to program Omnisphere or Zebra2 on a 34" monitor than fiddling with the Kronos touchscreen and the sometimes obtuse UI.

I
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: