Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does new Nautilus have PC motherboard
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Nautilus / AT
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RavenRusher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

average_male wrote:
RavenRusher wrote:

Today I opened up my Nautilus and removed the motherboard. I can confirm that the SSD is indeed a removable one with standard m-sata interface.
And you didn't take any pictures to share with the rest of the class? I'm curious what the internals look like as I am unable to locate any images online. Guessing it would be very similar to the Kronos, right?

Here are the pictures I've taken.

https://imgur.com/a/M9ASKQW
lvbeethoven

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavenRusher wrote:
burningbusch wrote:
Liviou2004 wrote:
burningbusch wrote:
Note the link is to the 140D-Plus. The Nautilus uses the ASRock Industrial 140D-KDM and it looks just like one in the link so assume it to be a close variant.

Busch.

I seems that 140D-KDM doesn't exist on Asrock Website.

Yeah, I don't know any specifics but it could very well be that Korg had the KDM made to their specs. When you compare the KDM to other 140s, you see a number of headers, ports, etc. missing. The only visible port is a VGA. But many headers don't exist and are just solder points. Korg's propriety circuit boards all start with KLM. KDM, which is obviously close to that, might be a coincidence or might point to a board designed specifically for Korg.

Busch.

Today I opened up my Nautilus and removed the motherboard. I can confirm that the SSD is indeed a removable one with standard m-sata interface. Curiously, my Nautilus comes with a Buffalo branded SSD which I cannot find anywhere online.

I checked the layout of the motherboard and compared it to Asrock IMB-140D Plus, it seems that all the components are identical, with the exception that some IO ports and one RAM slot are not missing with bare solder pads.

Hardware wise the Nautilus has a single DIMM of 4G DDR3 RAM, and it seems like everything is attached to the motherboard via two internal USB ports, including the keyboard, touch screen, front panel buttons, joystick and rear audio/MIDI/USB ports. My guess is that one of the usb ports directly connect to the rear USB A port, and all the rests are attached via the Korg custom daughterboard.

Looking at the hardware, I believe there're huge opportunities for custom upgrade. A few years back, Kronoshacker_ and Marcan have upgraded the motherboard and CPU of their Kronos keyboards. In order to make the Korg software work with the new hardware, they have to do quite a bit of software patching. However, compared to the Kronos, the Nautilus is an even more standard x86 platform with every Korg proprietary hardware attached via the USB ports. This design opens up the opportunity of replacing the motherboard and running the entire Nautilus software in a virtual machine. As long as the hypervisor can emulate the USB controller in the Intel NM10 chipset, we might be able to run the Nautilus system without any modification at all.

Of course, the first thing I've done after opening up my Nautilus is to image the SSD. Now that I have the system image I'll try to see if I can boot it in a VM.

We really have to follow up on this idea of emulating, in the end we would have a simple USB connection to connect to our computer which, through a virtual machine, would surely start the Nautilus 10 times faster (25 seconds), not to mention the storage, but overall apart from starting and storing if we do not go into the code to compile the Nautilus system in 64 bits,

What do you think ?

It would also be necessary to be able to increase the polyphony and the number of audio and mid tracks. Have 128 midi tracks for example Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Nautilus / AT All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: