Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nautilus 73 - Octave question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Nautilus / AT
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RDBoon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject: Nautilus 73 - Octave question Reply with quote

Okay, I have a simple question for anyone, it might seem dumb to you but I just need it clarifying please.

Given that the 73 is just an extra octave more than the 61 - by default, without pressing the octave + - buttons, does it give you that extra octave at the bottom or the top end? I.e. does it move the middle C right an octave to give you more bass notes, or does it give you more keys at the top?

The c-c 73 configuration has me confused, I have a 76 modx and it makes perfect sense, with benefits each end of the board. I don't really want the 88, and I already have the 61 Nautilus but it's frustrating me that I can't easily go lower, I often find that I want to go lower but very rarely need to go higher.

Can someone please confirm this, as it's literally the deciding factor on whether I trade my 61 for the 73 or not.

Many thanks!
nitecrawler
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hitting shift and + will give you one octave higher and hitting - button will give you one octave lower. Cool

Montage M7, Pa5x76, Nautilus, PA3Xle, Oasys 76, Mini-Moog, EMU Audity 2000, Motion Sound KBR 3D amp, Presonus and Reaper DAW W/Tannoy Reveal 501A powered monitors
RDBoon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nitecrawler wrote:
Hitting shift and + will give you one octave higher and hitting - button will give you one octave lower. Cool

Thanks, so that sets it permanently either way? Even after it's been turned off? (Otherwise I can't see how that's different from just using the Octave buttons).
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Octave switches used on their own will transpose by at least one octave up and one octave down, and may indeed transpose by more than one octave either way.

Using Shift in combination with the Octave switches allows trasposition by one semitone at a time.

Pressing both Octave switches together returns the transposition to 0.

Note that not all Programs and Combis will produce sounds above and below their "normal" octave ranges, especially true with drum kits, which will be mapped to specific notes.

nitecrawler
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well no, not exactly. If you want to save it permanently you need to set it up and save as a new program or combination, whichever you need. For me, it is just simpler to use octave button. No real need to use up storage space for a simple change like that.

Montage M7, Pa5x76, Nautilus, PA3Xle, Oasys 76, Mini-Moog, EMU Audity 2000, Motion Sound KBR 3D amp, Presonus and Reaper DAW W/Tannoy Reveal 501A powered monitors
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Transpose parameter can be set in Global mode. If you "write" the Global settings then that transposition will be the case next time the keyboard is powered up.

RDBoon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst I more than appreciate the answers, my original question was far simpler in essence - how is it set by default? Before any octave buttons are pressed? Is it basically a 61 key with an extra octave to the left or the right?

I understand perfectly the use of octave and transpose buttons, I'm just trying to establish how the 73 c-c is setup by default (in relation to the standard middle c being third c from the left and all that jazz).

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated!

I've ordered one to try it anyway, and see if I prefer it, or if it's worth the £200 extra cost!
RDBoon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
The Transpose parameter can be set in Global mode. If you "write" the Global settings then that transposition will be the case next time the keyboard is powered up.

That's actually incredibly useful, thank you.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The default transposition = 0 setting gives a key range of C2 to C7 for the 61-key and E1 to E7 for the 73 key. The corresponding 88-key range is A0 to C8.

RDBoon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
The default transposition = 0 setting gives a key range of C2 to C7 for the 61-key and E1 to E7 for the 73 key. The corresponding 88-key range is A0 to C8.

How is it E1-E7? It's C-C isn't it? Doesn't have a 7th E on it. Or am I seeing this all wrong?
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The images of the 61 and 73 key do not square with the info shown in the Parameter Guide! I believe you are correct in that the 73 key Nautilus is C-C. It is the Kronos 73 key that covers E-E, and the relevant info has simply been transcribed from one Parameter Guide to the other!!

RDBoon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
The images of the 61 and 73 key do not square with the info shown in the Parameter Guide! I believe you are correct in that the 73 key Nautilus is C-C. It is the Kronos 73 key that covers E-E, and the relevant info has simply been transcribed from one Parameter Guide to the other!!

That would make sense. Korg made quite a deal about how they had made the 73 C-C because they apparently received so many requests for it.
RDBoon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So having received my 73 yesterday, the answer to my original post - simply for the benefit of anyone who may come looking for the same answer prior to buying it is - left. The extra octave is to the left by default, the bass end, moving everything up to the right by one octave (effectively putting middle C at C4 rather than C3 from the 61).

Thanks to everyone that posted in an attempt to help answer, as ever got some additional info as a bonus off the back of it! But the answer really was that simple.
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RDBoon wrote:
Korg made quite a deal about how they had made the 73 C-C because they apparently received so many requests for it.

At least in recent years, as far as I can recall, for 73-key boards, Korg has always used E-to-E for hammer action boards, C-to-C for non-hammer boards. Which I think makes sense, since E-to-E mirrors a Rhodes (hammer action), while having the board end in a high C mirrors most other non-hammer boards (basically most if not all the organs and synthesizers ever made). I really dislike playing organ on a board that doesn't end in C on top, it just feels wrong! And it forces you to be careful swiping up to that high C which is such a trademark Hammond thing to do. But if you're playing organ on a hammer action board, you're probably not doing much of that anyway. Wink

Anyway, the point is, I bet the 73 change from Kronos E-to-E to Nautilus C-to-C was related to changing that config from a hammer to a non-hammer action. I don't think they've ever made a 73-key hammer action board that went C-to-C, that would have been quite a surprise.
Dan Stesco
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:

Hi Voip,
One notice, we change the range of 73 to C1- C7. Same as Krome.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Nautilus / AT All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: